Travel Bug "Etiquette"?

SnoopySquad

So I've been looking at the nearby caches for our upcoming "expedition" later today, and I was paying special attention to those caches that have trackables in them (can't blame me for wanting to find one, eh!). Thing is, when I visit the logs to see if they're still there, I've noticed that people seem to take 2-3 TBs at a time. I suppose there isn't a law against that, but is there some sort of 'etiquette' when it comes to these? Like, don't take them all? Seems like a bit of a hog if you ask me. Leave some for other cachers, y'know. =(

So I've been looking at the nearby caches for our upcoming "expedition" later today, and I was paying special attention to those caches that have trackables in them (can't blame me for wanting to find one, eh!). Thing is, when I visit the logs to see if they're still there, I've noticed that people seem to take 2-3 TBs at a time. I suppose there isn't a law against that, but is there some sort of 'etiquette' when it comes to these? Like, don't take them all? Seems like a bit of a hog if you ask me. Leave some for other cachers, y'know. =(

Travel bugs are meant to travel. Not to sit in caches to be sure that there's enough there for every cacher to have one. There's no rule of etiquette not to take more than one. Take as many as you can move; just be sure to log all you take.

That said, I do understand and sympathize with your disappointment when you go to a cache expecting to find trackables there, and there are none.

Don't worry, they're all left in another cache immediately. B)

I don't care if my TB is grabbed with a bunch of others, or lost or even stolen. All I ask is that an appropriate log is made (unless the TB simply vanished into another dimension, in which case, the transport gets logged). If someone can manage to properly log them all, and will place them promptly, they may take as many as they can handle. But it can be a lot of work to do it right (hint: if they still show in the cache's Inventory for months after you took them, you did not do it right). So another option is to leave them in the container, and log "Discover".

Edited by kunarion

The intent of a Travel Bug is to move, not languish in a cache waiting to move...

It should be primary to have the TB move, rather than to sit and wait for somebody who wants/desires/feels the need to handle one.

Put out some of your own and see what I mean. You might then see that this type of thinking is flawed.

Like, don't take them all? Seems like a bit of a hog if you ask me. Leave some for other cachers, y'know.

Wrong approach. If you are willing to take them on an adventure you should be hogging them.

Mark me here, any movement is good.

As you see from the responses so far, there's a point of view -- from where the traveler's owner sits -- that says there's nothing wrong with taking all the TBs you find. In fact, that view often goes so far as to say it's a good idea to go out collecting TBs from caches you've already visited just so they move as much as possible.

Personally, I agree with you. I nearly always take a TB if I find one, but if I find more than one in the same cache -- or even on the same walk, typically -- I'll only take one as long as I know the cache is visited fairly regularly. I might take more if I don't expect the cache to be visited again for a month or more, since in that case it makes more sense to keep the TB moving than to leave it for the next seeker who won't be there for who knows how long.

More power to them if they grab all the TB's in a cache but I see what you are saying about beig a Trackable hog.. I don't really have an issue with it. What I have an issue with is how many people just don't know how to track a trackable and leave it sitting in a caches inventory, yet never drop it anywhere. It's not a hard concept. It frustrates me to no end that trackables go missing due to players. I've had them go missing because of muggled caches and a cache that was in a forest fire, no control there.

Yep, I have a TB right now that was picked up by an individual, no cache finds, no nothing except my trackable logged and that was months ago, nothing since. It happens, same thing with goals, most people don't read and just haul them off wherever. I dropped one a bit ago which I took with me well over 1000 miles to get it closer to it's goal, like very close, only to see someone picked it up and hauled it off to Hawaii, completely different then the goal very clearly suggested and dropped it out there. Biggest issue I have is that people don't know how to track them. I have a bunch of TBs out there now, travelling all over but with them being in 'race' themes, they go wherever and it works, well aside from some mislogging them, etc.

I like finding trackables, so I try to pay it forward and trade evenly, or even leave more than I pick up. But I also don't have any qualms against picking up a coin or TB that has been sitting in a cache for a while or that has a mission I can help accomplish, even if I don't have a trackable to leave.

More power to them if they grab all the TB's in a cache but I see what you are saying about beig a Trackable hog.. I don't really have an issue with it. What I have an issue with is how many people just don't know how to track a trackable and leave it sitting in a caches inventory, yet never drop it anywhere. It's not a hard concept. It frustrates me to no end that trackables go missing due to players. I've had them go missing because of muggled caches and a cache that was in a forest fire, no control there.

We have to dog people on all aspects. You can't get a bug moved by telling people not to pick it up.

Some people need instruction, clarification, and reminders. You have to be willing to do it, or willing to let it go - or leave it to others to keep your bug moving.

You can't get a bug moved by telling people not to pick it up.

and I think that can be one of the big problems; the instructions for the bug are too complex or restricting, so people just leave it or ignore the mission, as the owner has made it too hard for them to simply pick up and move it. I read here in these forums from some experienced cachers, that you have to remember that whilst the bugs mission may be to move from point A to point B, sometimes the quickest way is via point C and D, rather than just sitting there waiting for someone who will only take it from point A to B....

Also, when you see a cache with Trackables listed, but not physically there, and no recent mention of being taken, or it has been listed as being in the cache for a long time, it's a good idea to make mention in your log that it is not in the cache. This will help to give the Trackable owner a timeline of when the trackable went missing, if it is missing.