Words of encouragement on placing first cache.

Bloodheart

I'm hoping to place my first cache at some point soon, I have a cache container set-up and now it's just down to identifying the best spot and gaining permission (okay, so it's a long way to go yet) - but it's a simple cache, and I feel a little intimidated by others, although I've seen some poor caches there are many locally with a lot of work put into puzzles and information on locations history. I'm not in contact with the locals either, and the location I'm looking at for the cache had problems with vandalism with previous caches so none have been placed near there for a while...I have faith it'll work.

Any words of encouragement?

If you already had faith, there'd be no need for encouragement. ;)

Find a good spot, ask for permission and place it.

If you have an idea where the others with problems were, go further back.

Within view of muggles usually ends a hide faster than someone chancing upon it.

- Often the folks who want to ruin things are also too lazy to walk a bit. :D

There's sometimes a learning curve to hiding...

Many older hiders look back and wonder what the heck they were thinking when they put out as their first hide. :laughing:

You may have come up with a spot that makes others happy finding or it may turn out to be a flop, or muggled - so what?

You're having fun.

Cache safe.

I like a simple cache with a nice location. I don't need fancy gimmicks. You go for it!

You can do it! I know you can! It will be fun. Betcha can't wait to see who finds it first. I'm sure you're looking forward to a gallery full of great photos! Your first hide! Woo hoo! (Are you encouraged yet?) I remember my first hide. It's still going! Be sure to bring good info with you to the land manager, in case they don't know about caching. You can get some literature at geocacher-u to bring with you. nd one last word of advice: no food, bubbles or smelly/scented items in caches. And make sure it's waterproof, but don't put the cache inside a plastic bag.

Good luck!

My first Geocache is still out there and going strong, receiving positive comments and the odd favourite point too. I think as long as you are taking people somewhere interesting (i.e. a positive experience) then its all good! And remember: it's a game and games are FUN :laughing: I took ages checking and rechecking the coordinates to that cache, adjusting the clues, adjusting the description, checked it regularly, kept it well stocked and now it just seems to be motoring along fine. I also subscribe to the notion that if you put a cache out there that YOU would enjoy finding, then you can't be going to far wrong either.

You have made enough finds to know what kind of a cache gets good logs on it. Do something you are proud of. The simple cache has already been done. Make your cache interesting in someway even if already thought of somewhere else. Make the place fun to go to, and let the finder want to come back again. Hide the cache where someone someone will have to look around to find it. Nice if the cache has several ways to get to it. Make it muggle free completely so the finder can enjoy the HUNT! Nice dry container that anyone can work the lid properly. Have an interesting description page. Put in great trade items and encourage other to do the same. Promote CITO! Suggest alternate fun on the outing! Point out interesting other stuff. Spend time on the Co-ords, approach from several directions and on multiple days if possible.

Good Luck! Have a ball!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I'm hoping to place my first cache at some point soon, I have a cache container set-up and now it's just down to identifying the best spot and gaining permission{snip} and the location I'm looking at for the cache had problems with vandalism with previous caches so none have been placed near there for a while...I have faith it'll work.

Any words of encouragement?

I try to hide the type of cache I like to find. Maybe it has an interesting title. Maybe it is the type of container and camo. Maybe it is just because the whole area is interesting and there is a great cache farther along the trail but a "carrot" is needed to break up a long hike.

My first cache,GC41182,"2 bison and a buffalo",is a fun cache because of the title,the container, and location. A play on words. In the 3 months that it has been out it has ganered 5 favoriter points and several interesting logs. I was veryy careful about the co-ordinates and took several readings on different days and with different gps units. I felt like you while planning this cache but it has all worked out because of the planning. So go for it.

like a simple cache with a nice location. I don't need fancy gimmicks. You go for it!

+1 on that. If you place it somewhere that most people would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there and use a quality container, your cache is bound to be well received. There is no need to worry about creating a brain busting puzzle, an ingenious container, filling it with expensive swag, etc., unless you really want to.

like a simple cache with a nice location. I don't need fancy gimmicks. You go for it!

+1 on that. If you place it somewhere that most people would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there and use a quality container, your cache is bound to be well received. There is no need to worry about creating a brain busting puzzle, an ingenious container, filling it with expensive swag, etc., unless you really want to.

Yes, yes, yes. A watertight container in a pleasant location. Add a logbook (not a logsheet), a pencil and use a container that's big enough to hold a travelbug or 2 and you've got a cache that should please everyone.

If past geocaches in the same area have been vandalized, can you determine why? Were they right next to a trail or parking lot? Did they stick out like a sore thumb in winter? Were geocachers conspicuous? If you can mitigate the past problem with different location, better camouflage, etc., I still would recommend not sinking a lot of money into it. Use a decent waterproof container. Look on it as an experiment. That is my advice.

More in the way of encouragement that you were looking for: if you have a container that will hold up to the weather and repeated use, and a good location, go for it. Don't hold back because it's not the perfect cache with ingenious camouflage in a spectacular location.