Signing a log without a box

dwayne23

Question a friend and I were out caching today and found an area were the cache was the reason I know is because someone took the ammo box but left the log book and swag on the ground. I have contacted the owner told him I would mail it or meet him to give it back.. My question is do I log it as a find or not????

Question a friend and I were out caching today and found an area were the cache was the reason I know is because someone took the ammo box but left the log book and swag on the ground. I have contacted the owner told him I would mail it or meet him to give it back.. My question is do I log it as a find or not????

If you found the log with some/several/many previous logs, but the container was missing you can certainly post a 'Found It' log, but you should (obviously) mention the state you found the cache in...when you found it.

It wouldn't be the first time the contents of an ammo can were dumped out and the can taken/stolen.

That's between you and the cache owner.

When I've found an empty ammo can at the coords, I've logged a find (have done this several times, mostly on burnt cans).

If I found no ammo can, but the contents, I CITO the stuff, and log a DNF.

Just how I see it, and not how anybody else might see it. Maybe finding the log is the critical thing, and not the cache container. I can see this both ways ;-)

I see the cache in question. I recommend posting a Needs Maintenance. A needs maintenance would at least warn the next finder that there's nothing there. You can post the NM with a note that you removed the baggie with contents. Then, if the CO doesn't respond, then what I would do is, after a month I'd post an Needs Archive.

Edited by L0ne R

well you did find it so i dont see why not

We'll they certainly didn't find the cache as the cache owner originally intended. There really isn't anything stopping someone from posting a found it log on any cache (although Groundspeak has been known to lock accounts if it appears most/all logs are bogus). However, it's up to the cache owner whether or not a log is allowed to remain. It's hard to say what would happen if the CO deleted the log and the OP appealed it.

Bottom line: the finder does not have the final decision (nor do forum readers) on whether or not posting a found it log will result in that found it log to remain and "count" as a find. The cache owner can "overrule" that find and delete the log, and if there is a dispute, graundspeak *might* overrule the CO and reinstate the found it log.

You can and should post it as a find. My suggestion would be to take a photo of yourself with what you found and E-mail it to the CO. Being an AMMO troop, I have ammo cans and depending on the situation, I replace it. I have also been known to replace them with other containers of comparable size as a temporary repair until the CO can get the real replacement out there. If a geocache is in trouble, I help. That's just who I am!

I dealt with a somewhat similar dilemna one time. I had chosen a cache for a milestone and made a long trip out to get it. After searching ground zero for awhile, I realized the cache itself and log book were gone. Indeed, the only thing remaining was a plastic bag with swag and some business cards. I debated whether or not to sign one of the cards and count it as a find, especially since I did not want to make a return trip to the area. But in the end, I decided to post a DNF. Now if an actual log book had been present, I probably would have signed it and taken credit for the find.