Windows 8: downloading geocahes to GPS

angeq123

You *should* be able to download a PQ (GPX files) to any GPSr from Win8. The operating system has little to do with drag 'n drop.

Now... if you are addressing "Send to GPS", that may well be a different story, as the site needs to use those manufacturer's communicators and they may/may not be workable with Win8.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Yes I am talking about "Send to GPS". My mom called Magellan and they said it couldn't be done and there working on it. My mom does not use PQ. it confuses her. I own a Delorme and I was wondering if this is just a Magellan problem or are all gps going to be effect by it?

Dunno if it is an overall problem (yet)... but it falls to the manufacturer to keep up with system developers.

Generally, they are more interested in selling, rather than spending funds for keeping up with stuff.

I mean... that IS the corporate way, is it not?

Given time, somebody will figure out a workaround.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Yes I am talking about "Send to GPS". My mom called Magellan and they said it couldn't be done and there working on it. My mom does not use PQ. it confuses her. I own a Delorme and I was wondering if this is just a Magellan problem or are all gps going to be effect by it?

Perhaps the solution is to download individual .gpx files to a specific folder on the computer, and then 'drag-and-drop' the contents into the appropriate folder (?) of the GPSr when it is connected.

It might even be possible to save the .gpx file directly to the folder on the unit, and skip the 'drag-and- drop' business.

Does the GC show up as an external drive when it's connected to the computer?

There is no doubt that Win8 is a different creature than any of the older versions. It forces all hardware to 'speak' through the OS and certain older communication protocols are no longer supported as a result.

I think the best real solution is to really learn PQs. The best tutorial I know of is http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

The other option is to press the GPX button rather then the 'send' button and then transfer those individual GPX file to the unit.