Montana software version 4.70 as of January 30, 2013

taeke

Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.70:

Improved Ascent and Descent calculation.

Improved map performance in densely-populated urban areas.

Improved EXIF image direction data in camera photos (650 and 650t models).

Fixed potential issue with 'External Power Only' automatic mount detection option. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/the-need-for-speed.html#MountDetection) for more information.

Fixed issue where default vehicle names and default background image names were not being translated.

Fixed issue with trip odometer where distance between two tracks would be incorrectly added to the total distance.

Fixed potential issue where waypoint averaging would not create a correct waypoint gpx file.

Fixed issue with distorted battery icon when on landscape charging page and when charge reaches 100%

Fixed potential issue with numerical keyboard in landscape orientation

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5335

Fixed issue with trip odometer where distance between two tracks would be incorrectly added to the total distance.

Hopefully this makes it to the OR x50 soon.

Hopefully it works. I wonder if it will still draw the straight lines? That issue can at least be worked around by turning your track log off at the end of one segment, and then track on again once you've acquired a fix and started moving at your new location.

Hopefully this makes it to the OR x50 soon.

Hopefully it works. I wonder if it will still draw the straight lines? That issue can at least be worked around by turning your track log off at the end of one segment, and then track on again once you've acquired a fix and started moving at your new location.

I sure hope it still draws the straight lines.....that's the way it's supposed to work! The unit is "tying together" everything WITHIN an archive period. Within a week if your archiving is set on "weekly", within a day if on "daily", everything if set on wrap when full,etc.

If you don't want them, then change your settings and your operating procedures.

To eliminate the drawing of connecting line between day to day tracks (today & tomorrow's) then change your archive period to "daily".

To eliminate the connecting line between multiple tracks on the same day, then "Save" the track at the end of each segment and then "Clear Current Track" immediately before starting the next.

No... It should create separate tracks on each power cycle.... They all stay in the same file, but automatically joining separate event is horrible. The maps end up with track lines all over the place that are no real and make it difficult to see what has actually happened.

No... It should create separate tracks on each power cycle.... They all stay in the same file, but automatically joining separate event is horrible. The maps end up with track lines all over the place that are no real and make it difficult to see what has actually happened.

I have to agree, the image below shows an artificial line connecting two hikes 20-miles and 3-days apart. That same 20-miles was added to the subsequent trip odometer, even after I had done a reset.

Mineral-Loop.jpg

What compelling reason is there for this artificial connection? Since it is equally easy to either connect two tracks or disconnect two tracks.

Both Grasscatcher and sussamb argue for the artificial line but don't provide a why. I understand the time save comments but still cannot understand the advantage to having the system save tracks connected.

I've avoided all versions after OR x50 v5.50 because they all have both the artificial line and trip odometer addition.

One option I guess would be to start a new track everytime the unit was power cycled, or at least have that as another option.

The goofy thing is that some Garmin units do start a new track every power cycle, others do not. It is very inconsistent. There is no justofication to not start a new track as regardless of what happened, the time and distance stats are wrong without splitting the track.

One option I guess would be to start a new track everytime the unit was power cycled, or at least have that as another option.

That is exactly what has been requested, the 'Option' to do exactly that.

It is much easier to join tracks after the fact than try to find and remove individual segments and points within the hundreds and thousands you want to keep.

@ Red 90 and A C,

I,too, am not "arguing for", just stating that that is the way it is now supposed to work, and explaining why it's doing it and telling "whomever that doesn't like it" how to "fix it"....(not get them.)

I'll explain below why it's really no big deal (at least to me).

Red, Which model units don't get them and which do? Models like old 60/76 series ? Models after the file structure change ? I believe that the 60/76 series started a new "active log" file with every power cycle. Models when the ability to "archive" started?

AC, I don't understand what you're talking about ......." easier to join tracks after the fact than try to find and remove individual segments and points within the hundreds and thousands you want to keep."

Aren't you complaining about the long straight lines that connect two separate trails, some distance apart"?

On my PC I use Expert GPS. If and when I rarely "get them", because of something I've done or not done, I just "select" the track (in the straight line portion),right click and choose "break track", and it(the straight line) is gone. Literally in one second.....

There are "Zero" trackpoints on that connecting line, so all that is removed is just the connecting segment.

For on the PC, Garmin could do the same thing with Basecamp. Right now Basecamp doesn't work exactly that way. When you "divide" the track, it takes that segment ,with the trackpoint on each end and makes (those two points and that segment) a separate track.......kinda a goofy way to handle just dividing a track.

But if I'm understanding things correctly, you guys are mainly complaining about seeing the straight lines on your GPS units......right?

@ Mtn Hermit, What was/is your archive period setting? (Mainly for the example above?) As Sussamb said, if it had been set on "daily", those two tracks logged several days apart would NOT have been connected/tied together.....or the mileage added.

Here is the part that I flat cannot understand......

RIGHT NOW, right this instant, without Garmin having to do ANY changes, you users are in COMPLETE control of whether or not you get/see the "connecting lines" on your unit.....so, If you don't want them, then don't get them!

I have a 76CSx, a 78S, an Oregon 550, and a Montana 650, used for Daily track logging and I don't get the lines on any of them........unless I as operator screw up. If I do, and then have a connecting line when I download the data, no big deal ....a one second fix! I wish all my screw ups could be fixed that easy!

I'll try to give an example in another post. I really don't think that many users understand their units.

AC, I don't understand what you're talking about ......." easier to join tracks after the fact than try to find and remove individual segments and points within the hundreds and thousands you want to keep."

Aren't you complaining about the long straight lines that connect two separate trails, some distance apart"?

On my PC I use Expert GPS. If and when I rarely "get them", because of something I've done or not done, I just "select" the track (in the straight line portion),right click and choose "break track", and it(the straight line) is gone. Literally in one second.....

There are "Zero" trackpoints on that connecting line, so all that is removed is just the connecting segment.

I am using BaseCamp and have this issue:

For on the PC, Garmin could do the same thing with Basecamp. Right now Basecamp doesn't work exactly that way. When you "divide" the track, it takes that segment ,with the trackpoint on each end and makes (those two points and that segment) a separate track.......kinda a goofy way to handle just dividing a track.

Track log connecting straight line example.

Let's say I have three separate trails to map today and tomorrow, and do not want them connected by the dreaded artificial connecting line.

I have my "auto archive" period setting on my unit set on "Daily". Note: I ALWAYS have "track logging" ON, and set to "Record and show on map"..ALWAYS......Also, always set to auto, and most often.

I turn my unit on at home to be sure that I have several specific waypoints loaded in the unit, and to check the battery level, and whatever... As soon as I turned it on and it locked onto sats, it started logging a track. Inside the house it's lousy condition, so lousy accuracy, etc but logging still.

I turn it off, and drive to a trailhead 10 miles away. At the TH I turn it back on, .....immediately, (after sat lock) it draws a straight line between it's last position (at home) and the TH. (because as the user), I've told it (Daily archive setting)that I want it to keep all the track data within this period (each day)"together" as a lump for preservation. (long term saving)

Now, at that point, you have a straight line on your screen. Don't panic! It connects the "junk data" at home when you were checking the unit, with the "junk data" at the trailhead logged while you were getting out of your car , getting your poop in a group,etc.

Walk to the trailhead proper, where you want to start saving data. AT THAT POINT, go to Track Manager, Current Track, then Clear Current Track. (It will ask you if you're sure,...yep) If you use it, reset the trip odometer here also.

Now you're ready to walk down the trail, look at your screen. NO STRAIGHT LINE ! The one that was there before, is gone. When you cleared the current track, you deleted it, and the junk data logged at home and also the junk data at the TH. What you are left with is a nice clean start to your track, with no connecting line,

At the end of the trail,where you want your good/valid data to end, stop and go to Track Mgr , Current Track, Save (either rename it or leave default "date name").

If you use the trip odometer then you need to write that info down also because it only pertains to this specific trip.

Go to your next trail head.....either Feet, Miles, or 10X miles. If you turned your unit off at the end of the last trail and turned it back on at this one, then you'll have a straight line connecting those two points. Again, don't panic.....that's just junk data anyway. When you get to the trailhead proper on this second trail, repeat your actions from the first TH. (Track Mgr,Current Track, Clear Current Track, Yep)

Now, think about this,....understand that you have all the track data from the first track preserved. Saved as a separate track. When you Clear Current Track this time, what you are deleting or clearing is the ongoing "Current Track" "COPY" of that data AND the junk data at the end of the first trail AND the Junk data at the beginning of the second, and the Junk line connecting them.

At the end of the second trail, save it and "drive on".

Next trail, whether today, tomorrow or next week......same o, same o, being sure your actions are the same, in the same order, and at the same "point in the process"

Always clear "current track" before starting to log data you want to save.

Note: If you wanted to preserve the drive route or path between the trails, then you have to leave your unit on all that time and actually log that also (can be treated as a separate trail and saved separately).

Save your last track of the day just like the others. Why? When you get home and are going to download the data on the same day,when you're ready to download (but before actually downloading), do the "clear current track" action again.

What you just eliminated is just the (Current track)COPY of that last trail and the connecting line between the end of that trail and your home.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Grasscatcher
@ Mtn Hermit, What was/is your archive period setting? (Mainly for the example above?) As Sussamb said, if it had been set on "daily", those two tracks logged several days apart would NOT have been connected/tied together.....or the mileage added.

I think you're missing a key point. With OR x50 v5.50 I have ZERO problems, NADA!!! It is only with later versions are the artificial line or trip odometer error a problem. Your workaround may work for later versions, I haven't tested.

Why? It is my understanding that with a power cycle, the system software issues an End of Track command. This EoT command was either intentionally or accidentally left off OR versions after v5.50. This is true for all STM Cartesio receivers (OR, MT, DK, 62, etc.), obviously the version number varies with each, but they all share a common code base.

That's why I replied to the OP's thread about the MT firmware and highlighted the one reference to the odometer. It was/is not my intent to hijack this thread. I checked the OR x50 firmware this morning, still no update for these issues.

I am running 470, and some of the issues reported as 'resolved' or 'improved' by Garmin, are in fact not. I just took several photos today to test the improved EXIF photo direction and found the images to be off randomly by as little as 20' or as much as 180' - So this function is still not stable.

Every firmware has its good/bad, and I usually run the latest, regardless....

Someone has to :)

I am running 470, and some of the issues reported as 'resolved' or 'improved' by Garmin, are in fact not. I just took several photos today to test the improved EXIF photo direction and found the images to be off randomly by as little as 20' or as much as 180' - So this function is still not stable.

Every firmware has its good/bad, and I usually run the latest, regardless....

Someone has to :)

Personally I don't really care about the photo direction, but some of what I've read about newer firmware versions causing random shutdowns lead me to think they have introduced bugs I wouldn't be willing to live with.

I use the Montana, among other things, for long distance cycling in areas I don't know very well. If I'm watching my progres relative to a track log and suddenly the track log is gone that's an unacceptable bug. If it shuts down while walking it's annoying but manageable.

With 3.6.3 the only time it shuts down is when I'm navigating by road and go off route for about the third time. That's frustrating but easy enough to deal with - I just navigate the map myself without using its routing if I think I'm going to want to be going all over the place.

Edited by team tisri

NOT FIXED. I was hiking today and still getting the excess mileage on my trip odometer. It's the same incorrect functionality it's been doing since inception. I know not all agree, but I just don't get the logical sense for the units to log mileage and tracks in this fashion. Contacting Garmin, for what good it will do.

Edited by gpsnav12

NOT FIXED. I was hiking today and still getting the excess mileage on my trip odometer. It's the same incorrect functionality it's been doing since inception. I know not all agree, but I just don't get the logical sense for the units to log mileage and tracks in this fashion. Contacting Garmin, for what good it will do.

This was my experience also.

I reported to montana.beta@garmin.com

This was my experience also.

I reported to montana.beta@garmin.com

I want to try to see if I can duplicate the problem.

What is your auto archive setting set on?

Which specific "data field" do you see the extra distance being added to?

Trip odometer or Track Distance? or another field???

Did you clear current track log before starting first track? If yes, what page did you do this operation from?

Did you "save track" at the end of the first track before traveling to second?

Did you reset "trip odometer" data to zero before starting? (both before the first and also before the second?)

Also did you also "save track" at the end of second track?

Did you also reset "Track Distance" data field to zero before starting? (both before the first and also before the second?) (Need to very specifically verify that this data field is zero before starting second track....)

Edited by Grasscatcher

+1

Not so fast grasshopper. Doing it your way makes two tracks when I have to change batteries on a hike. That I wouldn't like.

Changing batteries in the middle of a hike? Now that would be a major power interuption! SOMETHING "better" start over / create a data break / etc!

MY way????? I was simply asking questions to get info to see if i could duplicate "the problem."

I don't get the straight lines and neither do I end up with two duplicate? tracks, so just forget my post. I'm not the one with "the problem"

Let's see here now....don't want one single connected track and don't like two tracks....Hmmmmm ????

Edited by Grasscatcher

It would also be VERY easy for the unit to decide if a new track should be started based on the time between the power cycle and the distance traveled.

Yes, and that is the way older (60 / 76 series units) worked (new track file with power cycle) ....... BUT....and everyone seems to forget this...that was before "Archiving", and before ALL the track data being saved when a track is saved, and before file structure "tree" being changed, etc,etc,etc. (newer units are much more capable of storing / handling much more data)

In order for the "unit to decide if a new track should be started......based on...."...... That would have to be based on your settings, correct? So, since you are in complete control of whether you get the connecting lines or not RIGHT NOW....... change your settings / procedures !

This is the issue:

443.png

Notice the straight lines connecting waypoints 1,2, and 3. I power cycled at each location and moved for a few seconds. In both instances, straight track lines were drawn connecting to the previous location.

This is what happens to trip data as a result of this logging method:

482.png

Notice a track distance of 3.08 miles was recorded in 22 seconds, resulting in an unrealistic moving average speed of 504 mph. The same distance is added to the trip odometer and total odometer.

Turning off and clearing the track log before powering down and leaving waypoint 3 eliminates the straight line track, resets track distance to "0" but still does not solve the odometer issue. When I arrive at another destination some time later, no straight line exists this time, but another 22 miles has been instantaneously added to all odometers, now resulting in an average speed of over 1800 mph.

140.png

I'm sending these screen captures to Garmin and copying upper management on the e-mail. It's unrealistic to think that this is functioning correctly. I use these things for mapping and also for keeping track of my fitness goals, but it is nearly useless to me in this form.

Edited by gpsnav12

Those examples are great EXCEPT for the label at the top that says "This is the issue:"

No, "The Issue" is that some users are so convinced that there is a "Bug" or "problem" that they refuse to understand what they are seeing and how easy it would be to "fix it" . It's one of those "don't confuse me with Facts 'cause I've already got my mind made up" kind of things.....

Using your examples....

Power cycling and "moving for a few seconds" at each of three points should produce exactly what it did because of Archiving. (with ANY of the Auto Archiving user choices)

(should also produce extremely lousy accuracy data)

Now, when you "cleared the track log" BEFORE LEAVING WPT 3 , that's where you screwed up.

Wait to clear until you get to the next trailhead or waypoint location.

When THERE, "clear track log".

What you are doing is clearing the unit's brain of unimportant data that occurred after wpt #3 and while initializing at your new location and any data that occurred while your unit was off. (you changed locations !)

It's not just a matter of WHAT you do , it's also important WHEN you do it.

Now, NOTE CAREFULLY.....clearing current track FROM THE ODOMETER PAGE clears the Track Distance but does not reset the Odometer. If you want the odometer reset, then RESET it. Check out the different places you can reset it and note that it does different things from different locations. NOTE that if you "clear current track log" from Track Manager, it DOES NOT clear the Track Distance.

Your odometer correctly showed that in fact your new location was 20+ miles away from wpt 3 because it logged a few trackpoints after you cleared the current track but close to wpt3 before being turned off, then, when turned back on it started logging points while it was initializing, then (because of archiving) it tied those two locations together. Don't like that? then just clear current track at the second location and "reset" your odometer for a clean start. It is, after all, a "TRIP" odometer for recording data for that specific TRIP.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Those examples are great EXCEPT for the label at the top that says "This is the issue:"

No, "The Issue" is that some users are so convinced that there is a "Bug" or "problem" that they refuse to understand what they are seeing and how easy it would be to "fix it" . It's one of those "don't confuse me with Facts 'cause I've already got my mind made up" kind of things.....

Using your examples....

Power cycling and "moving for a few seconds" at each of three points should produce exactly what it did because of Archiving. (with ANY of the Auto Archiving user choices)

(should also produce extremely lousy accuracy data)

Now, when you "cleared the track log" BEFORE LEAVING WPT 3 , that's where you screwed up.

Wait to clear until you get to the next trailhead or waypoint location.

When THERE, "clear track log".

What you are doing is clearing the unit's brain of unimportant data that occurred after wpt #3 and while initializing at your new location and any data that occurred while your unit was off. (you changed locations !)

It's not just a matter of WHAT you do , it's also important WHEN you do it.

Now, NOTE CAREFULLY.....clearing current track FROM THE ODOMETER PAGE clears the Track Distance but does not reset the Odometer. If you want the odometer reset, then RESET it. Check out the different places you can reset it and note that it does different things from different locations. NOTE that if you "clear current track log" from Track Manager, it DOES NOT clear the Track Distance.

Your odometer correctly showed that in fact your new location was 20+ miles away from wpt 3 because it logged a few trackpoints after you cleared the current track but close to wpt3 before being turned off, then, when turned back on it started logging points while it was initializing, then (because of archiving) it tied those two locations together. Don't like that? then just clear current track at the second location and "reset" your odometer for a clean start. It is, after all, a "TRIP" odometer for recording data for that specific TRIP.

Grass, your like the obnoxious cable news analyst of the ground speak forums. You vehemently deny this is an issue, and then personally attack me, but still don't seem to fully comprehend what the issue is that I, and others, have tried to explain. Simply put, there is no logical reason for logging tracks and mileage in this fashion, other than shotty programming on Garmin's part. I am fully aware of archiving, clearing, resetting and the meaning of each function. I do it all the time. Mileage and tracks should not be added and connected between power cycles. Period. It's stupid. Garmin units never did that before, and the Oregon unit never did it before version 5.50. I personally don't think for the $500 price tag that I should have to perform all of the meddling around with it that you detail. Besides all of your meddling around still does not solve the odometer issue. Track issue yes. Odometer issue no.

@GPSNAV12,

Please do not take anything I say as a personal attack, definitely not intended that way. I'm just not very P.C.

Are you aware that "clearing current track" from different places within your unit clears or doesn't clear the same data?

Are you aware of the difference between Trip Odometer and Track Distance? and how to clear / reset each separately?

On a Montana have, you tried to set up a shortcut to do several functions with a single button press?

There is a VERY logical reason to log tracks and mileage in this manner and then give the users options and capabilities to to customize their units however they like. That is exactly what they have done.

Right at this minute, with Garmin doing absolutely nothing more to /for your unit, you have the capability to NOT get the lines, and for your Odometer to work properly(well, at least not have the extra distance added)

Doing a power cycle as a "Fix all" like back on some older models, is a thing of the past. It cannot substitute for correct unit settings and correct operating procedures and timing. There are waaay too many different possibilities. Completely and totally different systems.

Can we agree to disagree? Based on your answer above, you "Do Not" understand the "Archiving" function and how it works.

See how nice I can be? I didn't even mention being called "Obnoxious" and my attempts at trying to describe a solution to perceived problems being labeled as "Meddling". I'll get over it......

@GPSNAV12,

Please do not take anything I say as a personal attack, definitely not intended that way. I'm just not very P.C.

Are you aware that "clearing current track" from different places within your unit clears or doesn't clear the same data?

Are you aware of the difference between Trip Odometer and Track Distance? and how to clear / reset each separately?

On a Montana have, you tried to set up a shortcut to do several functions with a single button press?

There is a VERY logical reason to log tracks and mileage in this manner and then give the users options and capabilities to to customize their units however they like. That is exactly what they have done.

Right at this minute, with Garmin doing absolutely nothing more to /for your unit, you have the capability to NOT get the lines, and for your Odometer to work properly(well, at least not have the extra distance added)

Doing a power cycle as a "Fix all" like back on some older models, is a thing of the past. It cannot substitute for correct unit settings and correct operating procedures and timing. There are waaay too many different possibilities. Completely and totally different systems.

Can we agree to disagree? Based on your answer above, you "Do Not" understand the "Archiving" function and how it works.

See how nice I can be? I didn't even mention being called "Obnoxious" and my attempts at trying to describe a solution to perceived problems being labeled as "Meddling". I'll get over it......

No problem. I understand where you are coming from. Your method DOES solve the track problem, and I totally get that and have figured out how to avoid it. However, for the life of me, I cannot yet solve the odometer issue. Even with all tracking completely disabled, cleared, and turned off, the excess mileage still accumulates to account for distances traveled between power cycles. I'll keep playing around with this archiving feature and if I find it's a workable solution for the odometer too, I'll tip my cap, but as of right now, no luck, and no feedback yet from Garmin.

@GPSNAV12,

No problem. I understand where you are coming from. Your method DOES solve the track problem, and I totally get that and have figured out how to avoid it. However, for the life of me, I cannot yet solve the odometer issue. Even with all tracking completely disabled, cleared, and turned off, the excess mileage still accumulates to account for distances traveled between power cycles. I'll keep playing around with this archiving feature and if I find it's a workable solution for the odometer too, I'll tip my cap, but as of right now, no luck, and no feedback yet from Garmin.

No the archive period won't fix the Odometer. To fix the odometer, reset to zero at the beginning of what you want to measure. And for the Track Distance, that has to be zeroed by "clearing current track" at this page specifically.... Trip Odometer\Reset\Clear Current Track .

Note: The Track Distance can also be zeroed at the "Reset" page on main menu....BUT NOT from the Track Manager page\ current track\clear current track.

Don't know why that is but Garmin is investigating. Need to be able to clear both back to zero by setting up a User shortcut for a one touch fix.

Setting both of those back to zero at start, will fix the added mileage and the wonky speed data.

Setting both of those back to zero at start, will fix the added mileage and the wonky speed data.

Agreed. Unfortunately though it is only possible to accurately log mileage for one trip at a time. If you wanted to accurately log mileage / averages for a few days, or even a week, you would have to keep a hand-written log of it each day, as after the first trip, your essentially screwed without resetting.

Call me spoiled. I just think it should behave differently. What can I say?

Edited by gpsnav12

Just adding in that the eTrex 30 shows the same track connection bug. I say bug because that's what it is. It's not necessarily a bug to connect track segments between power cycles. However, recording 2000 km/h speed for the straight lines is. The average speed should be recorded correctly as defined by the time and distance delta between power cycles.

Agreed. Unfortunately though it is only possible to accurately log mileage for one trip at a time. If you wanted to accurately log mileage / averages for a few days, or even a week, you would have to keep a hand-written log of it each day, as after the first trip, your essentially screwed without resetting.

Call me spoiled. I just think it should behave differently. What can I say?

You are correct, one at a time.....and that's probably why it's called a "Trip" Odometer. Just for the record, I too agree with the complaints that the extra mileage gets added to all the "odometers". It shouldn't.

If it didn't get added to BOTH, then Track Distance could be used for an "overall" odometer and Trip Odometer for individual specific trips, easily reset as desired. I "believe" that was/is the original intent, and also, somewhere in the menus the unit need to specify clearing "Track Distance" instead of just have it happen lumped in with Clearing Current Track, but only from certain places.