Found Geocaching by accident?

Amber&James

I work for a company that deals in bike parking (i.e bike racks and lockers) we recently had an uninstall in Danville CA and removed 4 bike racks and replaced them with new ones. Once we had the old racks back at our shop we discovered a metal Altoid tin wrapped in green tape (the color of the racks we removed) with a magnet inside, that held the tin inside a metal cup holder on the side of the rack. When we discovered the tin we had no idea what it was. (one person thought it was for stashing drugs)but we opened it up and discovered a dollar bill and a peice of paper inside. I read the paper "log" and discovered it was apart of this interesting community called geocaching. Now im so interested and intrigued by this idea I cannot wait to find my first cache. My question is how do I let the community know that this geocache is no longer available. I do not know what its exact corridinates were or even where these racks were located since i just work in the office. the log inside only had one signature from 2011 so I suspect it wasnt a popular one. Any help to direct me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Only one signature? could be archived(taken out of the game) or it could be from another-less popular geocaching website...I don't think there's much you can do-except look up the person who signed it and see what caches they found on that day-if they dated it. Fortunately it's a small altoids tin. Easily replaceable and cheap if the Owner chooses to replace it-this is part of the game and part of the risk we take placing caches. Is there any other identifier? Maybe a number starting with GC... or an owner name? If you post who signed it, and a date, maybe someone here could find out who it belongs to

All it say on the log is 4 white rabbits 4/30/11. It is part of geocaching.com there was a printed explanation inside the tin referring to this site. Thanks for the help. I'm still tryin I get a grasp on all of this.

I don't see a cache logged by that group on that date but a number of the 10 caches they logged were along bike paths and trails.

It might have been a hide that never got published.

4whiterabbits finds: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=4+white+rabbits&submit4=Go

4whiterabbits profile: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c204ab1d-062f-45a3-af2e-f6b74f08d4f0

Best guess is that it is this one - just logged on another day - it is already archived.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=34fc7c70-e38b-4df5-be4d-46a705e201aa

Could be this cache, but is almost definitely this cache owner. Why not email her about this forum thread -she'll be intrigued. Apparently Altoids tins are her "signature hide." This cache was archived because she was "tired of replacing" the cache. Interesting detective work, gang! B)

very interesting how people find out about geocaching...

Yeah...me, I found out when another...ummm...non API...app was featured on my phone's app store. It was free, so I downloaded it and promptly forgot about it. I never knew about the API stuff until I'd been in the forums for a few weeks, but I did buy into the "official" app with the $50 Play Store credit I had from my new phone...so we're jake now.

Then I went to a state park near me and remembered I had it, but couldn't get a good signal so gave up. When I got my new phone and was installing apps I ran across it again and thought I'd look up stuff near my office...found my first cache at lunch time and got hooked.