How do I import pocket queries to Google maps?

Jessex

If you unzip the pocket query file, you will find a .gpx file (or 2). Figure out which one is larger in size and just drag it into the google earth window.

Just to be a stick in the mud - there is a big difference between the browser based google maps and google earth and the many apps for smartphones that include google maps. :ph34r:

If you unzip the pocket query file, you will find a .gpx file (or 2). Figure out which one is larger in size and just drag it into the google earth window.

Just to be a stick in the mud - there is a big difference between the browser based google maps and google earth and the many apps for smartphones that include google maps. :ph34r:

Of course, you are correct. I read too quickly and assumed.

Silly me.

Of course, you are correct. I read too quickly and assumed.

Silly me.

Just to clarify, so I can drag and drop the PQ file into Google maps as well as into Google Earth?

Edited by Jessex

Just to clarify, so I can drag and drop the PQ file into Google maps as well as into Google Earth?

I was curious about this myself, so I just played around with it. The answer is no, you cannot, at least in Firefox. When I drag a GPX file onto Google Maps or any other website, it simply opens it as a text file in Firefox. In essence, it's doing the same thing as if you went File > Open.

However, there is a way you can view the contents of a GPX in Google Maps, though it takes a few steps:

-In the left side-bar, click the "My places" button at the top

-Click the red "CREATE MAP" button

-Click the "Import" link

-In the "Import KML" window that comes up, even though it doesn't list GPX as an acceptable file type, it will accept it just fine. Click browse and select the GPX file you want to map, then click "Upload from File"

I was curious about this myself, so I just played around with it. The answer is no, you cannot, at least in Firefox. When I drag a GPX file onto Google Maps or any other website, it simply opens it as a text file in Firefox. In essence, it's doing the same thing as if you went File > Open.

However, there is a way you can view the contents of a GPX in Google Maps, though it takes a few steps:

-Click the "Import" link

-In the "Import KML" window that comes up, even though it doesn't list GPX as an acceptable file type, it will accept it just fine. Click browse and select the GPX file you want to map, then click "Upload from File"

It works, fantastic! Thanks so much for your help. Do you happen to know how to import the same files to TomTom sat nav?

-Click the "Import" link

Thanks for taking the time to test it and give us a solution that actually works. This is something I have wanted to do on rare occasions but could never get to work. It also wasn't something that justified my spending time researching. Thanks again for the instructions!

Hi, forgive if I am blundering idiot, not super comfortable with computers or even basic programming level knowledge, just an avid cacher trying to learn how to better use this technology - and particularly with trying to add a layer to a google map of the traditional caches from a pocket query in hopes that I could quickly see where there might be some in relation to sites we planned to see and further master some of the opportunities of modern mapping software... so hear goes,

I attempted the instructions as gone through in this thread thus far, and when I drag and drop the gpx file, to a newly created map (I no longer see create classic map, is this gone or am I blind?) - the import window comes up with an error noting it's not in the specified formats -

So I am coming to the conclusion that I either am missing the "create classic map" or this indeed has changed -

Any insight is super welcome and I am headed on my first international trip as a cacher so would love the chance to figure out how google maps might be a more useful tool than finding a singular address.

I digress....

Hi, forgive if I am blundering idiot, not super comfortable with computers or even basic programming level knowledge, just an avid cacher trying to learn how to better use this technology - and particularly with trying to add a layer to a google map of the traditional caches from a pocket query in hopes that I could quickly see where there might be some in relation to sites we planned to see and further master some of the opportunities of modern mapping software... so hear goes,

I attempted the instructions as gone through in this thread thus far, and when I drag and drop the gpx file, to a newly created map (I no longer see create classic map, is this gone or am I blind?) - the import window comes up with an error noting it's not in the specified formats -

So I am coming to the conclusion that I either am missing the "create classic map" or this indeed has changed -

Any insight is super welcome and I am headed on my first international trip as a cacher so would love the chance to figure out how google maps might be a more useful tool than finding a singular address.

I digress....

Unzip PQ.

I use gpsvisualizer.com/ to get a googlemap (Other maps are offered!)

You can load just the gpx file, or include the wpts.gpx file as well.

ETA.

If you want the classic google map, look near the bottom right corner and there is a little cog wheel and question mark (?), Question mark when clicked gives you the option to return to the old style map

Edited by Bear and Ragged