Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Couparangus

FRS radios on the cheap

Hey, does anyone know where to by the cheapeast FRS radio right now? I want to bastardize it to make a radio-based Geocache where the hunter will have to go to certain channels with certain tones and click the mic five times in succession to get the next clue etc. I don't feel like sacrificing one of my old commercial rigs for the job.

What do you consider cheap? I've seen the Uniden eco Trak 2 for $15. (and that as a year ago)

I'm kind of curious how someone would get clues from clicking the mic. How would you monitor the transmission? (we're always open to new ideas)

Thanks

Hey GM300GUY, that's a good idea - I work not too far from there and will check it out.

What I was thinking of doing is using one of these rediculous talking Elvis fridge magnets to record the clue(s). You get about 12 seconds of speech onto the DVR. It runs from 4.5Vdc as do many FRS radios, so thrice D cells ought to keep things humming along for a long time. Was also considering Nicads and a solar panel to charge them. The radio itself doesn't have to be at the cache site(s), just within earshot and could be placed on high-ground and off the beaten track to avoid discovery. I'm going to put something together for testing and see how it goes.

C-A

HEY!

Radio shack has Motorolas and Cobras on sale this week. $49.00 CDN. and I think $39.00 each. Check out a store. I just picked up 2 for Dad and I to use on car cruises..

MN12

GeoTravis,

Do you have the schematic for that FRS radio Cache? I'd love to take a look at it!

Todd-K7PKT

Cadence

(OddTodd-K7PKT and CheleBell-XYL)

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

Hey, does anyone know where to by the cheapeast FRS radio right now?

Watch the papers. CompUseless has some no-name FRS/GMRS for $20 and came with a $20 rebate, but that deal is long gone. You gotta be like an eagle - cruse along and when you spot something - Pounce!

I picked up a couple Motorola T5420s last week from amazon.com for $18 a pop, with a $7 rebate for each. Don't know how long their stock will last.

This is an excellent idea, and I would be very interested in any FRS-based cache schematics and information. I guess the trick would be using the original antenna and keeping the feed lines short, as technically, an FRS may lose its license-free status if the original antenna is lengthened or replaced.

Realistically, as long as the cache remains under a certain threshold (measured in microvolts per meter), it does not require any kind of license.