teams

kitten8777

My husband, mom and myself go out caching together so we made a team name. We look for the same caches at the same time. Are there rules to being on a team? We sign the log under Team H2R2 to take up less space on the log. I mad a note on my profile that I was part of that team and I wanted to know if you were allowed to do that or should we all be signing the log instead.

The big question is, are you having fun?

There are very few rules in this hobby.

Unless you're split by the other side of the globe, few would question who, or which one signs the log.

Sometimes (events mostly) someone will sign in names of all who seem to be bumper-to-bumper at each cache in the area.

We were a group of 23 once.

If you have separate cache names, it's a good idea to mention in the online log how you signed. Few (but some) COs check log sigs with the online log when they've had problems with false logging.

Some very small cache types (nanos) may require you to shorten your sig to maybe "TH2", just to make it fit.

Simply mention it in the online cache log.

Most COs like people mentioning things in logs.

Have fun and cache safe.

Edited by cerberus1

Do you all have your own individual GC accounts, and logging your finds individually, or do you have a joint account for the team?

I do most of my caching alone, but when the kids come with me we'll usually use a team name to sign the physical log (to save time and space on micro logs), but when I do my online log I'll add "Signed Log as Team ______" , just so there's no question about having signed the log.

Sometimes when I'm with a group, we sign a single team name rather than having everyone sign individually. There is nothing official about these team names; it's just something we made up for the trip, like "GBA Kayakers" or "GBA ECR". Other times, everyone signs their own name (or has someone sign their name for them). Either way works.

I have friends who have a family team account, as well as individual accounts. They log online with their individual accounts, but sometimes they sign as their team account (especially for tiny caches with tiny log sheets).

But whatever works for you and your team is fine.

The only bad thing I can see, is if someone moves away they suddenly "lose" the team... Or if one member goes on vacation and finds caches in Florida, they are logging caches there that you all didnt have a chance to see. Not that it's a problem, but what if you wanted to search for the same one later, and it's already logged.

If you want to be a team that's good, but I would suggest individual members have their own accounts. You can log stuff as a team, and if you find one solo, you can log it solo.

My daughter, who cached with me for years, decided she wants her own account now, and wants me to go back and log all her old ones for her so her numbers are right.

Of course, she's only 10.

I'm glad someone mentioned team names. I've seen others do it in the logs and I recently started using a team name when me and my boyfriend and grandson go out to cache. I was hoping it was ok, and I do mention it when I log the finds in. We were finding a lot of micros lately and it took up too much space and time to write our names. No matter who finds the cache I seem to be the one that gets to write in the logs. I also like to try and find as many as possible especially when I travel kind of far so having a team name is nice to get in, sign and go. My 4 year old grandson loves caching and has his own account. He likes to find the big caches of course so he can trade his "treasures". So glad to have found this hobby. Gets us all out of the house and to places we've never known were there. Thanks to all CO's.

While caching with a team (usually during a "Cache Machine" event in WA state, I follow my set of rules:

- If I am with the team at the cache spot, I'll mark in my log "Team XXX (whatever name we are using at the time)"

- If possible, I will sign/stamp the log myself, so I mark my log "Log Signed/Stamped"

- If I am not with the others (sometimes I do not got to a particular cache with everyone) I do not log the cache as a Find, even though the team found it. This is a personal rule, as I have to at least touch the cache to count it as a Find.

I really enjoy caching with others as a team effort. Lots of fun, faster finds, and more finds in one day.

Fuzzywhip