Here's what I have/here's want I want to do

ottor

Was given a Garmin eTrex Venture HC handheld GPS .... I already have the Natl Geographic TOPO maps for my State. Is there a way I can load the Maps on my laptop, attach the Garmin to my Laptop, and have it provide "Real Time" navagation on the mapscreen on the PC ??

If not ...... what would I need to accomplish that? (I have a bit of a vision problem and find the small screen of the Garmin a bit of a problem to read - I normally travel off road in my vehicle, and using the 15" laptop for navigation would be much more comfortable)

Thanks,

r

Was given a Garmin eTrex Venture HC handheld GPS .... I already have the Natl Geographic TOPO maps for my State. Is there a way I can load the Maps on my laptop, attach the Garmin to my Laptop, and have it provide "Real Time" navagation on the mapscreen on the PC ??

If not ...... what would I need to accomplish that? (I have a bit of a vision problem and find the small screen of the Garmin a bit of a problem to read - I normally travel off road in my vehicle, and using the 15" laptop for navigation would be much more comfortable)

Look at the tool bar at the top of the Topo program and you will see that you can connect a GPSr to it, show your position, and start auto tracking. That should do what you want to do.

Edited by ngrrfan

I can't remember if the Venture H has a serial port or not....... (round 4 pin Garmin connector)

What is required to do what you want is to use one of the (older) Garmin models compatible with serial cable. (old e-trex, 60 / 76 series and other older models)

Don't believe it can be done hooking up with USB.

Unit must be set on "Garmin" or "Garmin Serial" (not nmea in/out, spanner,etc) under Main menu/system/interface.

I just did it with my 76CSx and my 78S and it worked perfectly.

Edited by Grasscatcher
I normally travel off road in my vehicle, and using the 15" laptop for navigation would be much more comfortable)

You can also consider a standalone USB GPS. I use a Globalsat MR-350 connected to a laptop. They are quite cheap and with mounting outside, reception is wonderful.

I normally travel off road in my vehicle, and using the 15" laptop for navigation would be much more comfortable)

You can also consider a standalone USB GPS. I use a Globalsat MR-350 connected to a laptop. They are quite cheap and with mounting outside, reception is wonderful.

Sounds interesting ... what Mapping software are you using with your gps?

appreciate the info....

r

Sounds interesting ... what Mapping software are you using with your gps?

You can use anything you want once you have a PC. I use GPSGate to get the data from the GPS and save a log of all the tracks. I have Garmin's Mobile PC and nRoute on there as well as Fugawi and Oziexplorer.