Cachers eating caches

Occasionally I'll find a geocache with teeth marks in it. Some look like they are from bears or other woodland creatures, but I'm not so sure. There was this guy who cut up objects such as bicycles into tiny pieces and ate them with some mineral oil. I'm sure the log books are very high in fiber, as a few have disappeared from a few of my caches in the past. I'm just wondering if anyone has been hungry and has had the urge to chow down on a film can or two. Some of those peanut butter jars still smell pretty good, as well as a few Chinese takeout containers.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

We don't have any bears in my immediate vicininty, (although I have cached in areas they frequent) so I always assumed those teeth marks were caused by squirrels. Then again, maybe I've been wrong all this time. :unsure: There's a prolific newb placer in my area who hits the recycled food containers pretty hard (M&M's, chinese soup containers, Lay's Potato Chip containers etc..), so I may just be tempted. I've only found about 1/2 his caches so far, so we shall see.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Dude...squirrels pee on caches...I wouldn't eat them...

lol

At $2 an ounce the going rate for squirrel urine is $256 per gallon and perhaps a delicacy in many areas with it's distinctive nutty flavor.

I wonder how many calories? I bet it's low fat.

As for the half-eaten caches, a excellent low calorie, high-fiber choice for those of us trying to lose weight (not so sure about the protein content). So far I've been able to constrain myself, but idk, if I chance upon a pb jar cache when I'm really hungry...

I'm a pest control guy and there are mornings when that fresh open peanut butter flavored rat bait smells quite good! Not sure I would eat a cache though. We just got our earth sandwich cache going and I guess the fake bread smells to good as rats ate threw the outer lock n lock within a couple of days! Had to change it out to a stronger container and move it a bit.

P1050168_zps567788d6.jpg

PinkNinja re making our couple of day old hide because of the rats...

P1050172_zps55fc6846.jpg

Edited by WarNinjas

p.s. I hear that raw caches don't taste nearly as good as flame broiled.

3fc56331-a8db-4bbf-8281-87a9c13657c7.jpg

The gasket is okay, better if it's been through really high temps, but you gotta gut these things before consumption. Some of the interior goo is just not delicious, no matter what the broil temp. Believe me on this.

According to a friend. Because I don't eat caches. Honest.

I have seen a few containers pecked by birds or bearing marks of squirrels' teeth, but I have never found one with any evidence of being chewed by a human.

And how in the heck can you be so certain?

Are you aware of the latest fad in Japan, which is sure to be sweeping the globe soon??

In the U.S. people aim for perfectly straight dentures, but an entirely different trend has taken off in Japan. Many teenaged girls have undergone dental procedures called yaeba to elongate their canines, producing a fang-like imperfect - and some say childlike - appearance.

Yaeba means "double tooth" in Japanese. The yaeba look is achieved when molars crowd the canines and push them forward. Many younger children are familiar with the schoolyard taunt "snaggletooth," which is common before orthodontics are put in place in the teen years. But numerous young Japanese women with "snaggleteeth" paid for it.

“Yaeba” is Japanese for double tooth.

Some Japanese men reportedly find crooked teeth endearing and attractive. For others, this slight imperfection makes beautiful women more approachable, reports Oddity Central. Blogs celebrate yaeba and celebrities eagerly smile for cameras to show off their protruding canines.

Girls have increasingly flocked to dental salons for yaeba. The cosmetic fad is the most sought-after procedure provided by Dental Salon Plaisir in Tokyo's Ginza district. At Dental Salon Plaisir, the dentists glue artificial canines onto the patients' real teeth. Since the salon uses temporary adhesive, the transformation is not permanent.

But not all are enamored of the trend. Michelle Phan maintains a trendy blog on beauty and fashion, in which she said that we don't need to purchase our flaws: "I've always believed that many perceived imperfections in appearance add uniqueness and personality, and actually enhance a person's beauty. But is buying our quirks through cosmetic procedures taking it to an extreme?"

Some are troubled by this cosmetic procedure.

Others are troubled by what they consider the phenomenon’s fixation on youth. Dr. Emilie Zaslow, an assistant professor of communications at Pace University, told The New York Times that yaeba demonstrates "the sexualization of young girls." "The gapped tooth is sort of pre-orthodontic or early development," she said, "and the naturally occurring yaeba is because of delayed baby teeth, or a mouth that's too small."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/japan-crooked-teeth-yaeba-trend-imperfection-add-sex-appeal-article-1.1130812#ixzz2JrF8SHhm

crooked-teeth-1.jpg

Occasionally I'll find a geocache with teeth marks in it. Some look like they are from bears or other woodland creatures, but I'm not so sure. There was this guy who cut up objects such as bicycles into tiny pieces and ate them with some mineral oil. I'm sure the log books are very high in fiber, as a few have disappeared from a few of my caches in the past. I'm just wondering if anyone has been hungry and has had the urge to chow down on a film can or two. Some of those peanut butter jars still smell pretty good, as well as a few Chinese takeout containers.

On your cache page, make a link to this wikipedia article: Food

I have seen a few containers pecked by birds or bearing marks of squirrels' teeth, but I have never found one with any evidence of being chewed by a human.

And how in the heck can you be so certain?

Are you aware of the latest fad in Japan, which is sure to be sweeping the globe soon??

I wouldn't put too much credence on fads in Japan. If you don't believe me, do a google on "donut head".

Just saw this on a Needs Archived log, a reminder that if you're gonna eat 'em, they should be reasonably fresh, "My friends dad is a health inspector and he said black mold is deadly".

It is deadly. Geocachers should carefully inspect the cache before eating it. Cleaning with a light detergent and rinsing should be sufficient. Log books may be high in fiber, but they should be placed in a steamer for several minutes before ingesting.

Thanks for bumping this, here is a delightful recipe I ran across just recently:

Film Can Carbonara

Ingredients needed:

12 film cans

1 tablespoon olive oil

8 slices bacon, diced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)

4 eggs

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1.In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook film cans until al dente. Drain well. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and set aside.

2.Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook chopped bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain onto paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat; add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and heat in reused large skillet. Add chopped onion, and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add wine if desired; cook one more minute.

3.Return cooked bacon to pan; add cooked and drained film cans. Toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add beaten eggs and cook, tossing constantly with tongs or large fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember that bacon and Parmesan are very salty).

4.Serve immediately with chopped parsley sprinkled on top, and extra Parmesan cheese at table.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool