When Geospatial Information is Wrong

LSUFan

We benchmarkers can really appreciate the jobs that our great friends at the NGS/NOAA, USGS, and other agencies do in order to help map out our world.

However, sometimes mistakes can happen, with some very bad consequences. If you haven't already heard, our US Navy had a minesweeper get stuck on a reef in the Philipines supposedly due to an error in their digital maps. It looks like the ship is going to have to be demolished to get it off the reef.

This is another example of why having correct geospatial information is so important.

http://www.kmbz.com/US-Navy-Minesweeper-Stuck-on-Philippines-Reef-to-B/15394675

Edited by LSUFan

We benchmarkers can really appreciate the jobs that our great friends at the NGS/NOAA, USGS, and other agencies do in order to help map out our world.

However, sometimes mistakes can happen, with some very bad consequences. If you haven't already heard, our US Navy had a minesweeper get stuck on a reef in the Philipines supposedly due to an error in their digital maps. It looks like the ship is going to have to be demolished to get it off the reef.

This is another example of why having correct geospatial information is so important.

http://www.kmbz.com/US-Navy-Minesweeper-Stuck-on-Philippines-Reef-to-B/15394675

A similar Navy accident with a submarine and a sea mount with worse results. The sea mount was not well documented.

Some of my co-workers went to Guam to work on this sub. They did not need Electronics types so I was not ask to go.

Amusing :)

May be due to confusion between nautical mile, km and US miles (statute or survey ?)

From car bolts to spacecraft, plenty of errors due to these archaic units.

The Captains career is done for. Nothing worse the that kind of accidents on his record, he will leave in shame.

May be due to confusion between nautical mile, km and US miles (statute or survey ?)

Suscrofa,

I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH IRONS IN THIS FIRE - FRIENDS FLYING INTO UNCHARTED MOUNTAIN PEAKS - TO SAY NOT AMUSING!

Don't think that any of these incidents had anything to do unit conversion errors either.

MEL

Suscrofa,

I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH IRONS IN THIS FIRE - FRIENDS FLYING INTO UNCHARTED MOUNTAIN PEAKS - TO SAY NOT AMUSING!

Don't think that any of these incidents had anything to do unit conversion errors either.

MEL

Many have.

I found the minesweeper story amusing, yes, that doesn't imply I consider all accidents to be amusing !

Other source of information state that they had been warned via radio, by the Philippine park rangers.

RT

Never trust one single source of information when your life depends on it.

Uncharted mountain peaks ? Quite strange.

Edited by Suscrofa