Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shark River Pirates

Scanner Recommendations?

Not sure if this is off-topic here so please forgive me if it is.

Does anyone here have any recommendation for a handheld scanner? I'm mainly interested in hearing emergencies, police chatter, and whatever else might be going on in my area (NJ).

Thanks,

If you go into the huckleberry region back of Shark River you had better not scorn the story of the great pirate ship that sails without trouble in twelve inches of water, and has skeletons dangling at the mastheads. - Stephen Crane 1894

quote:
Originally posted by Shark River Pirates:

Not sure if this is off-topic here so please forgive me if it is.

Does anyone here have any recommendation for a handheld scanner? I'm mainly interested in hearing emergencies, police chatter, and whatever else might be going on in my area (NJ).

Thanks,

Perfect place to ask. Butvery difficult to answer. So I guess the answer is, IT DEPENDS!

It would be helpful if you had some idea of the frequency range you are interested in. If you are looking at local rualchatter on VHF, or even UHF, a very simple (and cheap) unit will do you well. If you are looking for 800 Mhz, of trunking comms, you will need a mocu more sophisticated unit.

Believe it or not, Rat Shack stuff isn't bad, although somewhat pricy. Most anything UNIDEN is good. Uniden is sold in Wal-mart locally.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I like this one.

It is definately not cheap, but has a lot of useful features.

Your local Radio Shack usually has frequenciy lists for your area, and you can check out their scanners. Uniden (Bearcat) is probably the second most popular brand, after Radio Shack. They are usually available at Target, WalMart, and at ham shops like this one.

Mike is right, it is not as simple a question as you might think. What do you really want to listen to, how often do you plan to listen, and what kind of bell and whistles do you want? The list of scanners available is pretty long.

I do recommend getting one that picks up weather band, but that is pretty universal. Being able to automatically monitor the weather band and respond to weather alerts is not as common, but a great feature. If the weather service sends out a coded signal to warn of severe weather, the scanner automatically brings that up as the priority so you know about it right away.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Thanks for the info guys.

I need to find out what the freq is of my local pd and then go from there.

I read that most police station are using trunks - is that true? And that some are actually using digital?

As I said in my first post i'm looking to basically listen to emergencies, police chatter, and whatever else might be going on in my area (NJ) Ocean Township to be exact.

If you go into the huckleberry region back of Shark River you had better not scorn the story of the great pirate ship that sails without trouble in twelve inches of water, and has skeletons dangling at the mastheads. - Stephen Crane 1894

Yea you need to find out what freqs your area is using. I have owned mostly Rat Shacks and really like my Pro-92, but the software to program is not very good, and its a real pain to program all those channels by hand. The Unidens are also very good. Try scanners unlimited prices, they are usually very good.

"We never seek things for themselves - what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Shark River

I read that most police station are using trunks - is that true? And that some are actually using digital?

As I said in my first post i'm looking to basically listen to emergencies, police chatter, and whatever else might be going on in my area (NJ) Ocean Township to be exact.

_If you go into the huckleberry region back of Shark River you had better not scorn the story of the great pirate ship that sails without trouble in twelve inches of water, and has skeletons dangling at the mastheads. - Stephen Crane 1894_

Try to find out what frequencies you need to monitor and if they're trunked or digital. I know in Vancouver, BC, Canada the VPD, Fire, Medics are all on a digital network. VPD also use encrypted packets for information on their toughbook laptops.

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Hello Shark River Pirates "Does anyone here have any recommendation for a handheld scanner?"

Well I have had bunch over the years, I Have had Uniden's, and Radio shack's Mainly, But I have had the best results from the Radio Shack Handheld scanner's. I currently have a Pro 94 and I like it. You have to fiqure out what Freq Range you want and what you want to hear? and Listen to. I like the Dual Trunking and most big cities are Using 800 Mhz Systems now. So you can set it up with what you want to hear and when the stuff comes along you dont want you can keep it out. I had a Radio Shack Pro 46 forever and got great service from it. You can go online to Radio shack and look around at the scanners they have and do the same with the others.Hope you find one you Like and Happy Hunting

Continouswave icon_cool.gif

The general consensus seems to point to Radio Shack so that's what I'll buy. I'm really curious to see when the cops turn on their lights to cross an intersection is it to get coffee and donuts or a real emergency. icon_smile.gif

[hr=red][/hr]

As an avid scanner listener (Uniden), and Criminal Justice Student, I can assure you that even if your local cops are running red lights to get coffee, they're not going to announce it on the radio icon_cool.gif Besides, there are numerous "undispatched" reasons the police may use the flashing lights. (Witnessing traffic violations, getting a cell phone dispatch, or needing a bathroom break...now that's an emergency... icon_wink.gif)

Also worth noting, many of the departments I have ridden with use Nextel systems (car to car)in conjunction with their standard radio frequencies.

~Justin

KG4ZEP

[This message was edited by KYPoliceStudent on July 28, 2003 at 04:22 PM.]

This sure in not the cheap way out but I would highly recommend a unit capable of following APCO Project-25 systems. If your area has not gone digital yet it is only a matter of time. There is major federal money for upgrading to Project-25 for public safety. Pretty much all of Maryland will be digital by around 2006.

Any clue as to which scanners support APCO?

I've never heard of it until now.

-----------------------------------------

Check that...

I found one - the new Rat Shack Pro-96 will decode 3600 and 9600 baud APCO-25.

It's just not available yet icon_frown.gif

-----------------------------------------

Uniden has at least one Bearcat handheld scanner that handles APCO-25. Check out their web site, http://www.uniden.com.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

REPLY TO: Perfect place to ask! Glad I asked? icon_biggrin.gif

Not sure if this is off-topic here so please forgive me if it is. Does anyone here have any recommendation for a handheld scanner? What is the world's best radio scanner? What about scanning laws? Can you take them on airplains with you and scann airplan chatter or act as on top of a mountain getting the best reception of the high elevation your at? You can try this store in Newington, Connecticutlentini communications, INC. @ http://www.lentinicomm.com/ or http://www.hamradio.com/ as mentioned before above. How many channels depends on how many channels you would use up for how many frequiencies that is being used for what you want to monitor. So how many channels do you think that most people should buy in when going a radio scanner? Don't get to little amountof channels if you need all 1,000 channels programed or each town in for each bank. MOst agencies, towns states are going to mostley be using Digital Dual Trunk Tracking 800MHz {If you all understand what that is...}

For me I need a new 1,000 channel digital radio. I would use alot of the channels. I would use it to put in every Connecticut state police radio frequencies. High band, Low band etc. Then I can listen into my polce in my town that has the state police radio system that's for Burlington Connecticut. It would help in a scanner that you would get a scanner that tells and reminds you that you have already put the frequency in channel one when your on any other channel or your going to need to orginize 1,000 frequencies in channels too many times. AOR USA AR-5000 PLUS 3 VERSION RECEIVER AR5000A+3is one radio for everyone. Wish I could have that one. It does everyting you'll need except Track Trunking and Digital stuff. What do you guys think? also try http://www.uniden.com/ Your going to need the BCi25D Digital Accessory Card for the new digital scanners or it WILL NOT do any kind of digital scanning. Ain't that's the only reason that they buy the new digital scanners to do digital. Keep that in mind. {BCi25D - BCI25D Accessory Digital Card enables APCO P-25 Systems monitoring} - {Digital Accessory Card - Add the BCi25D Card to your Uniden BC780D or BC250 Digital Scanner to monitor APCO P-25 Digital Systems.}What do you think about geting the computer programer to go with the radios? Scan cat gold se things? What things do you people scan the most with your scanners? So right now I don't have 1,000 channel scanner that tells me if the frequency is in my radio already. So I am not going to look at all the ones I write down each time to enter in 200 more frequencies into my 500 channel pro-64 so I don't scan anything as much as I can right now. also the new radios get fm radio and from 25 MHz to 1,300 not the normal 29Mhz to 956MHz? It would get the military air plane frequiencys Citizen band also? Something every scanner should have at least the ham radio geocacher should need in a scanner since all of my radios don't do what I need. Since we all scan frequiencies can some one put here the National Geocaching frequency in MHz please if we have one? Is it channel two on Family radio service or not? HELP us all out! TOO CONFUSING! Sodon't buy things a a normal radio shack. What other radio will in the future will decode digital will they be better off waiting to get or will they come 25years down the line? What rat shack?{Rat Shack Pro-96 }. this radio doen't get 25-29 MHz 200 MHz for miliraty avaition, Skips 54MHz- 108MHz. Frequency coverage includes: 28-54, 108-136, 137-174, 406-512, 806-960MHz (except cellular), and 1240-1300 MHz. What about Pro 2053 is on sale at Rat Shack!! ...Rat Shack Pro 2053 !! ... Anyone in Connecticut that can also help me out? Thanks you all!!! Can we exchange radio frequiencies hear also? Thanks! Never put your radio down. The time you stop listening is the oly time something happens unless your a scanner nut head case, that's if you have all the equipment and the right scanner. Thank you! frog.gifcbskate19@juno.com

Mr. Godzilla Kong, King here at cbskate19@juno.com

REPLY TO: Perfect place to ask! Glad I asked?

Stressing the need to monitor un active frequiencies as needing a lot of channels just for that part? Am I all right so far? Getting this scanner for me, now for the first time I will beable to be scanning. Before I listened to only two of three things with just the main frequiencys in my radio scanner. Don't for get American Radio Relay League That's Arrl.org All material at arrl.org Web site Official Web site of ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio. I just listened to my fire department and so on. That wasn't much at all. I think that the trick is to listen to the Digital Track trunking encryped radio transmissions. I never get to know what's happening with my town except when I listen to my town garage tawn hall highway department and the Fire department. Any help on picking what I should use for my listening skills for which radio is best and what softwear is the best to use for it and with it on a computer Etc.? I need to know what should I know before I buy and purchuse the radio of my choice, the only digital radio their is so far. Do I realy need a scanner that scans any faster then the turbo search of more then 300 steps per second or 100 channels per second leaving me every 10 seconds untill it scanns back around for the guy to say 10-4, negative, positive, yes, or no. I will miss that two second anwser even with the two second delay on for sertend channels wich take even longer to scan....? What do you suggest. My father thinks that a 1,000 channel radio scanner will take an offal long time to get to scann all the way through the whole one thousand channels if they were all programed. What do you and would you suggest about that? I don't know as much as I would like about anything here on scanners all the new stuff that's a coming out. All I know is that I should buy the only new digital scanner for the reasons listed above. Before I make a big mistake and be a dodo with everyone who makes wrong choices I thought to be absolute certain by seeing and reading what all of the world has to say by replying to this message. How would I know what your saying is the truth because I am new at this, I don't even own a digital radio yet. Is it worth the buy to get a digital radio just to mostly listen to one or two new things like the state police and the public saftey duds or are they the same? I am too confussed!!! Teach me, we are all willing to learn. Just to add to it try this review of the handhel digital radio that people bought just for the radio not needing the digital card. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3120

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC250D Digital Scanner {Buying this scanner was a no-brainer for me.}..., {If your local police and fire have switched over to APCO 25 3600 baud digital, by all means, get this scanner. It is pricey, but it is worth it if you are serious monitor!} - Exactly what I mean. Do you agree you all? Since, I am just a little more experienced and smarter then my dad, {at least I think} in radio scanning, do you think I should wait and think more about it- {What my father thinks about me to be waithing and should be thinking about it for now, thinks I have enough equipment and scanners with my 500 channel scanner, etc. What do you all think? Do I have enough yet? Never right? Is it always great to change with technology?}and find out more about the radio to know what I am doing? WHich is better the digital base desktop radio then the handheld? Or is it easyer to take the handheld into your car, hotel, up a mountain, hiking, on your bike, and it must be a lot earyer to take the Hanheld version {even though it is not the best of the two} geocaching? right? Or should I get both of them wherever I go have them in car in house, Etc. ??? Please help us all out. Thank you a lot. frog.gif cbskate19@juno.com

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:26 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K:

Not sure if this is off-topic here so please forgive me if it is. Does anyone here have any recommendation for a handheld scanner? What is the world's best radio scanner? What about scanning laws? Can you take them on airplains with you and scann airplan chatter or act as on top of a mountain getting the best reception of the high elevation your at? You can try this store in Newington, Connecticuthttp://www.lentinicomm.com/ @ http://www.lentinicomm.com/ or http://www.hamradio.com/ as mentioned before above. How many channels depends on how many channels you would use up for how many frequiencies that is being used for what you want to monitor. So how many channels do you think that most people should buy in when going a radio scanner? Don't get to little amountof channels if you need all 1,000 channels programed or each town in for each bank. MOst agencies, towns states are going to mostley be using Digital Dual Trunk Tracking 800MHz {If you all understand what that is...}

For me I need a new 1,000 channel digital radio. I would use alot of the channels. I would use it to put in every Connecticut state police radio frequencies. High band, Low band etc. Then I can listen into my polce in my town that has the state police radio system that's for Burlington Connecticut. It would help in a scanner that you would get a scanner that tells and reminds you that you have already put the frequency in channel one when your on any other channel or your going to need to orginize 1,000 frequencies in channels too many times. AOR USA AR-5000 PLUS 3 VERSION RECEIVER http://www.aoruk.com/ar5000.htmis one radio for everyone. Wish I could have that one. It does everyting you'll need except Track Trunking and Digital stuff. What do you guys think? also try http://www.uniden.com/ Your going to need the BCi25D Digital Accessory Card for the new digital scanners or it WILL NOT do any kind of digital scanning. Ain't that's the only reason that they buy the new digital scanners to do digital. Keep that in mind. {BCi25D - BCI25D Accessory Digital Card enables APCO P-25 Systems monitoring} - {Digital Accessory Card - Add the BCi25D Card to your Uniden BC780D or BC250 Digital Scanner to monitor APCO P-25 Digital Systems.}What do you think about geting the computer programer to go with the radios? Scan cat gold se things? What things do you people scan the most with your scanners? So right now I don't have 1,000 channel scanner that tells me if the frequency is in my radio already. So I am not going to look at all the ones I write down each time to enter in 200 more frequencies into my 500 channel pro-64 so I don't scan anything as much as I can right now. also the new radios get fm radio and from 25 MHz to 1,300 not the normal 29Mhz to 956MHz? It would get the military air plane frequiencys Citizen band also? Something every scanner should have at least the ham radio geocacher should need in a scanner since all of my radios don't do what I need. Since we all scan frequiencies can some one put here the National Geocaching frequency in MHz please if we have one? Is it channel two on Family radio service or not? HELP us all out! TOO CONFUSING! Sodon't buy things a a normal radio shack. What other radio will in the future will decode digital will they be better off waiting to get or will they come 25years down the line? What rat shack?{Rat Shack Pro-96 }. this radio doen't get 25-29 MHz 200 MHz for miliraty avaition, Skips 54MHz- 108MHz. Frequency coverage includes: 28-54, 108-136, 137-174, 406-512, 806-960MHz (except cellular), and 1240-1300 MHz. What about Pro 2053 is on sale at Rat Shack!! ...http://members.boardhost.com/omahascan/!! ... Anyone in Connecticut that can also help me out? Thanks you all!!! Can we exchange radio frequiencies hear also? Thanks! Never put your radio down. The time you stop listening is the oly time something happens unless your a scanner nut head case, that's if you have all the equipment and the right scanner. Thank you! frog.gif cbskate19@juno.com)

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K:

Not sure if this is off-topic here so please forgive me if it is. Does anyone here have any recommendation for a handheld scanner? What is the world's best radio scanner? What about scanning laws? Can you take them on airplains with you and scann airplan chatter or act as on top of a mountain getting the best reception of the high elevation your at? You can try this store in Newington, Connecticuthttp://www.lentinicomm.com/ @ http://www.lentinicomm.com/ or http://www.hamradio.com/ as mentioned before above. How many channels depends on how many channels you would use up for how many frequiencies that is being used for what you want to monitor. So how many channels do you think that most people should buy in when going a radio scanner? Don't get to little amountof channels if you need all 1,000 channels programed or each town in for each bank. MOst agencies, towns states are going to mostley be using Digital Dual Trunk Tracking 800MHz {If you all understand what that is...}

For me I need a new 1,000 channel digital radio. I would use alot of the channels. I would use it to put in every Connecticut state police radio frequencies. High band, Low band etc. Then I can listen into my polce in my town that has the state police radio system that's for Burlington Connecticut. It would help in a scanner that you would get a scanner that tells and reminds you that you have already put the frequency in channel one when your on any other channel or your going to need to orginize 1,000 frequencies in channels too many times. AOR USA AR-5000 PLUS 3 VERSION RECEIVER http://www.aoruk.com/ar5000.htmis one radio for everyone. Wish I could have that one. It does everyting you'll need except Track Trunking and Digital stuff. What do you guys think? also try http://www.uniden.com/ Your going to need the BCi25D Digital Accessory Card for the new digital scanners or it WILL NOT do any kind of digital scanning. Ain't that's the only reason that they buy the new digital scanners to do digital. Keep that in mind. {BCi25D - BCI25D Accessory Digital Card enables APCO P-25 Systems monitoring} - {Digital Accessory Card - Add the BCi25D Card to your Uniden BC780D or BC250 Digital Scanner to monitor APCO P-25 Digital Systems.}What do you think about geting the computer programer to go with the radios? Scan cat gold se things? What things do you people scan the most with your scanners? So right now I don't have 1,000 channel scanner that tells me if the frequency is in my radio already. So I am not going to look at all the ones I write down each time to enter in 200 more frequencies into my 500 channel pro-64 so I don't scan anything as much as I can right now. also the new radios get fm radio and from 25 MHz to 1,300 not the normal 29Mhz to 956MHz? It would get the military air plane frequiencys Citizen band also? Something every scanner should have at least the ham radio geocacher should need in a scanner since all of my radios don't do what I need. Since we all scan frequiencies can some one put here the National Geocaching frequency in MHz please if we have one? Is it channel two on Family radio service or not? HELP us all out! TOO CONFUSING! Sodon't buy things a a normal radio shack. What other radio will in the future will decode digital will they be better off waiting to get or will they come 25years down the line? What rat shack?{Rat Shack Pro-96 }. this radio doen't get 25-29 MHz 200 MHz for miliraty avaition, Skips 54MHz- 108MHz. Frequency coverage includes: 28-54, 108-136, 137-174, 406-512, 806-960MHz (except cellular), and 1240-1300 MHz. What about Pro 2053 is on sale at Rat Shack!! ...http://members.boardhost.com/omahascan/!! ... Anyone in Connecticut that can also help me out? Thanks you all!!! Can we exchange radio frequiencies hear also? Thanks! Never put your radio down. The time you stop listening is the oly time something happens unless your a scanner nut head case, that's if you have all the equipment and the right scanner. Thank you! frog.gif cbskate19@juno.com)

REPLY TO: Perfect place to ask! Glad I asked?

Stressing the need to monitor un active frequiencies as needing a lot of channels just for that part? Am I all right so far? Getting this scanner for me, now for the first time I will beable to be scanning. Before I listened to only two of three things with just the main frequiencys in my radio scanner. Don't for get American Radio Relay League That's Arrl.org All material at arrl.org Web site Official Web site of ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio. I just listened to my fire department and so on. That wasn't much at all. I think that the trick is to listen to the Digital Track trunking encryped radio transmissions. I never get to know what's happening with my town except when I listen to my town garage tawn hall highway department and the Fire department. Any help on picking what I should use for my listening skills for which radio is best and what softwear is the best to use for it and with it on a computer Etc.? I need to know what should I know before I buy and purchuse the radio of my choice, the only digital radio their is so far. Do I realy need a scanner that scans any faster then the turbo search of more then 300 steps per second or 100 channels per second leaving me every 10 seconds untill it scanns back around for the guy to say 10-4, negative, positive, yes, or no. I will miss that two second anwser even with the two second delay on for sertend channels wich take even longer to scan....? What do you suggest. My father thinks that a 1,000 channel radio scanner will take an offal long time to get to scann all the way through the whole one thousand channels if they were all programed. What do you and would you suggest about that? I don't know as much as I would like about anything here on scanners all the new stuff that's a coming out. All I know is that I should buy the only new digital scanner for the reasons listed above. Before I make a big mistake and be a dodo with everyone who makes wrong choices I thought to be absolute certain by seeing and reading what all of the world has to say by replying to this message. How would I know what your saying is the truth because I am new at this, I don't even own a digital radio yet. Is it worth the buy to get a digital radio just to mostly listen to one or two new things like the state police and the public saftey duds or are they the same? I am too confussed!!! Teach me, we are all willing to learn. Just to add to it try this review of the handhel digital radio that people bought just for the radio not needing the digital card. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3120

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC250D Digital Scanner {Buying this scanner was a no-brainer for me.}..., {If your local police and fire have switched over to APCO 25 3600 baud digital, by all means, get this scanner. It is pricey, but it is worth it if you are serious monitor!} - Exactly what I mean. Do you agree you all? Since, I am just a little more experienced and smarter then my dad, {at least I think} in radio scanning, do you think I should wait and think more about it- {What my father thinks about me to be waithing and should be thinking about it for now, thinks I have enough equipment and scanners with my 500 channel scanner, etc. What do you all think? Do I have enough yet? Never right? Is it always great to change with technology?}and find out more about the radio to know what I am doing? WHich is better the digital base desktop radio then the handheld? Or is it easyer to take the handheld into your car, hotel, up a mountain, hiking, on your bike, and it must be a lot earyer to take the Hanheld version {even though it is not the best of the two} geocaching? right? Or should I get both of them wherever I go have them in car in house, Etc. ??? Please help us all out. Thank you a lot. cbskate19@juno.com

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:26 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Godzilla Kong, King-{King Godzilla K on August 12, 2003 at 11:42 AM.]

Ow! This thread is getting too painful to read! Could you delete some or all of your posts, Godzilla, and try out the test forum to figure out how to post what you want?

Thanks.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

Ow! This thread is getting too painful to read! Could you delete some or all of your posts, Godzilla, and try out the test forum to figure out how to post what you want?

Thanks.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

I am new to all of this. Sorry.

How do I go about testing my fourms?

This is what it is telling me.

icon_confused.gifError

icon_frown.gifThis forum only allows messages to be changed for 1440 minutes after posting.

close this window

Options:

Delete Message...?

Do You Wish to Continue?

Are you sure you want to delete this message?

icon_confused.gifError

icon_frown.gifThis forum does not allow messages to be deleted.

close this window

Please redirect me to where I belong.Thank you.

Dispatcher Johnson-{ cbskate19@juno.com }

I hadn't noticed that posts were uneditable after 24 hours. How...odd! I wasn't aware that posts were also undeletable, but that's not uncommon.

I use a lot of forums, and I neglected to doublcheck that there was a test forum here. Instead, there's a thread in the Getting Started forum where you can test various things without annoying anyone, because everybody who posts there is testing.

Cheers!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

I have been a scanner listener since I was 9 yrs old. I do not listen in on trunked state police comms, I only listen to the local PD,FD and SPEN. It becomes too much to listen to 50 different companies at once.

I have quite a few scanners but the one I use most frequently (more like it is on 24/7) is an old Uniden MR8100. Anyone that knows scanners can tell you that this is the unit that was installed in all California Highway Patrol cars. It supports Alpha-Tags and is configured with a serial cable to the PC. It suits my purpose, but it does not trunk so it is obviously very out of date icon_frown.gif

Also, if you are looking to get frequencies for your area, Radio Shack sells a frequency guide called 'Police Call' which is a decent guide. Also, Yahoo has many scanner groups you can join, which I am sure you can find one to your specific locale.

Kar