Etrex 20 maps

jacqui52

Hi, I was bought a nice new Etrex 20 for Christmas, its over a month later and I still can't figure out how to get the maps onto it, I've read lots about the free maps which sounds like a plan but when I look at the instructions, it all looks to be written in code and I dont understand a word.

As I am not at all tech minded. Can anyone please help me with simple instructions? I have been afraid to try in case I mess up the unit.

Sorry if this sounds pathetic but can I just save them on a card and stick it in the GPS?

I'm sure someone on here will help, thanks very much. Im quite new to this with only 85 finds so far but am enjoying my new game and am hoping an upgraded GPS will just add to the fun

I too just purchased a Etrex 20! Here's how I got my maps on mine. I'm sure there are other ways, but here's what worked best for me. Anyone can feel free to correct or improve upon my instructions.

This is for self-installing maps, meaning ones that automatically install into Basecamp/Mapsource on your computer. I used www.gpsfiledepot.com for my maps.

First, you'll need Garmin Basecamp. It's free. Download and install to your PC.

If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to download and install a 32-bit map first, for reasons I don't know. That's just what was explained to me and I followed it like a sheep. In any case, here's a small file that works. Note: You don't actually have to load this example map onto your GPSr, it's simply to open some magical bit gateway on your PC for the 64-bit big brother to come through. If you don't know whether or not you're using a 32-bit or 64-bit version, click Start, RIGHT CLICK Computer, and click Properties. Next to "System Type", it will list your operating system.

Make sure Basecamp is installed.

Make sure the 32-bit map is installed (if applicable). I believe you can uninstall it after you have your 64-bit version installed. Not sure though.

Download and install to your PC whichever self-installing map(s) you wish to load to your GPSr.

Open Garmin BaseCamp

Plug in the device you would like to load the maps to (a microSD card, SD card, or the actual GPS unit)

The device/card should appear on the left side as shown:

Right click on either the removable storage card or "Internal Storage" and select "Install Maps"

MapInstall should now be running; click "Customize" to select which map(s) you wish to load and click "Continue". When you're ready, click "Install". Note: Each time you load maps to the GPS, it will erase all maps on the GPS except for the preinstalled Garmin maps.

You will get a success message at the end similar to: “The data has been successfully sent”

Once the maps are installed, you should be able to Enable/Disable them on your GPSr.

Enjoy your new Etrex 20, fellow owner!

Edited by Feuer Frei