Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

What do you use, Pt-III

Dead again? Lets try come CPR!!! OK... time to stir up the list again. Here is the question.

What accessories have you recently bought for your ham activities to enhance hamming while Geocaching?

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

[This message was edited by Desert_Warrior on February 08, 2003 at 06:53 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

What ascessories have you recently bought for your ham activities to enhance hamming while Geocaching?

The most recent purchases are for my ICOM IC-W32A handheld radio.

The first was an ICOM HM-75 handheld microphone. It is a speaker-mic, and has 6 switches on it. One is a PTT, and one is a button-lock. The other 4 select which band is in which place, high or low band, VFO or memory, mem channel up or down, or VFO freq up or down. This allows me to hang the handheld on my backpack, and pull the mic over my shoulder. I can operate nearly every function I need while on the move, so much more convenient.

The latest accessories were:

1. A Comet BNC-24 antenna. 2.1 dB gain on 146, and about 5 dB on 440. This is a huge improvement from the -3 dB of the original rubber duck.

2. 2 each ICOM BP-170 battery packs. These are the AA battery packs. They bring the high power of the radio down from 5 watts to about 2 watts. This loss is more than made up for with the antenna. Also, the 5 watt battery is 900 mah. If I put the 1800 mah NiMH batteries in the new packs, I potentially increase my operating time around 500-% (in theory) (5 watts down to 2 watts is 250-%, and 900mah to 1800 mah batteries is double that.) Last, since the new battery packs use AA batteries, as does EVERYTHING else but my cell phone, I can now carry fewer spare batteries, and I can take from one to use in another.

So, what have you added lately?

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Had caching in mind when looking for this product. Picked up the PC Program "Travel Plus for Repeaters" from ARRL. Wanted something that I could use to get the info for all repeaters in a particular area I was heading to for some caching. Nice mapping program for all the US & Canada. I can program a route, & get all info for repeaters along that route, and/or for a particular area. I can then print a map, and also transfer all the info in CSV format to an Excel file, to load into my PDA. Now, along with Pocket Queries, I've got all repeater info in my Sony Clie'. I can program the HT with the areas repeater output, input, CTCSS, etc. before I head out. Should be handy for communicating with folks on my Yaesu VX-5R on 2m & 440 while hiking to the cache. Not bad for emergency purposes as well. Also ordered a nice Neoprene case for the Yaesu, that I can just clip onto my backpack. Always a pain to access it on my belt when wearing a coat & backpack. Picked up the optional speaker/mic for the HT too. Leave the unit in the case, & just clip the mic on my coat/backpack near my ear. Got the aa battery back for the HT as well, so when I'm out in the woods, & the battery dies on me, I can just slip on the battery pack, & I'm back in business. I do a whole lot of travelling throughout the Northeast during the summer months, so the whole set-up should work out well. Both for the HT, & the Icom 706 in the cachemobile. icon_biggrin.gif

Gimpy - KC2KNI

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Well seeing that I just got my ticket - KB3JBE - and just got the VX-5 and still trying to figure it out, I have not gotten much yet. Just a case to protect it and a car charger. Oh yeah and the ARRL repeater directory. Much more to come though.

Like KB3JBE, I have a Yaesu VX-5R with a car charger; I bought the earbud mike so I can use it in public without drawing attention to myself (looks like I am on a cell phone). As far as hiking/caching/mountain biking goes, I have put my VX-5R in my MULE, and I bought a Pryme 2m/70cm antenna for a bit better gain over the stock unit. I was thinking getting the speaker/mike attachment and putting the radio in the pack and clipping the speaker/mike to the shoulder strap, but then I can’t easily change frequency. Since the radio isn’t much bigger than a regular sized mike, I am planning on getting a more robust belt clip than the stock unit, and clipping it the radio itself to my shoulder strap. And I also got the ARRL repeater directory. Could use a spare battery, something bigger than the stock one. Suggestions?

SteveL, KG6OYK

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

I was thinking getting the speaker/mike attachment and putting the radio in the pack and clipping the speaker/mike to the shoulder strap, but then I can’t easily change frequency. Since the radio isn’t much bigger than a regular sized mike, I am planning on getting a more robust belt clip than the stock unit, and clipping it the radio itself to my shoulder strap.

Hey, SteveL. Check Here for a heavy duty belt clip. Can't vouch for it yet, as mine hasn't been delivered yet. But they look much better than the stock one.

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

Hey, SteveL. Check http://www.icongrp.com/~sllewd/store.html for a heavy duty belt clip. Can't vouch for it yet, as mine hasn't been delivered yet. But they look much better than the stock one.

Gimpy, let us know what you think. I have been looking at that for the past week now.

54" Tri-Ex tower in the back yard. 4 element tri band beam (20 15 and 10), 10 element vert/horizontal 2 meter beam and other accessories. Now I only need to figure out how to set up an APRS station and mobile and I'll be set for caching....

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

TOYOTA To Often Yuppies Overprice This Auto

quote:
Originally posted by benjamin921:

Gimpy, let us know what you think. I have been looking at that for the past week now.

Got the new clip today, & it really seems to be, at it's advertised, heavy duty. A little larger than I imagined, but that's ok, because it's big enough to clip around just about anything reasonable in size. Easily clips onto the strap on my backpack. One thing to be aware of. Instead of using the screw supplied with the new clip, I used the screw from the original clip. I've been reading on the VX-5 users group that I'm a member of, that there's a circuit board directly behind the threads for the clip screw. If you use a screw that's too long, you'll crack the circuit board, & cause all kinds of problems. Here's a shot of the clip attached to my unit.

icon_wink.gif

quote:

What accessories have you recently bought for your ham activities to enhance hamming while Geocaching?

Been geocaching for about a year, brand new to ham radio. Santa brought us 2 watt GMRS radios for geocaching. The new VX-7R is for me to play with. Still working on getting him motivated to read "Now You're Talking"

spidermom

I'll be using it as a cross band repeater while caching with my Yaesu VX-5R, and will (soon) hook it up to my Garmin GPS to try out the APRS functions. Oh boy - a new toy icon_biggrin.gif!

SteveL

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

quote:
Originally posted by benjamin921:

I have been looking at the Yaesu FT-8900 for my cross band repeater.

The FT-8900 was my first choice – same power as the Kenwood, plus 2 more bands AND ~$130 cheaper at HRO. After playing with both and doing some math, I walked out with the Kenwood. Here’s why:

I need the head to be remote – no room for the whole radio up front (there’s not even a space for the head). I plan on installing the head on a gooseneck mount so I can move it around, and because it will look a whole lot better than velcroing it to my dash. The Kenwood has a separate head by design; the Yaesu requires a separation kit that is $80(?).

I am, after all, a geek (no, really! icon_biggrin.gif), and I am interested in trying out packet radio and APRS – the Kenwood has a TNC built in and does APRS without a computer. I watched the Kenwood decode local APRS packet and display them on the head – I was sold.

As far as loosing the other two bands? I am a Tech, so 10m is off limits, and I have a VX-5r with 6m, and I have never used it. Most of my contacts have been on 2m, an a little 70cm – that’s it. I figured I’d use the TNC/APRS capabilities way more than the other two bands.

Oh yea, 3 customers came over while I was there and told me how much they loved their TM-D700A’s. Done!

BTW, the Kenwood programming software is free off their website (looks MUCH better than ADMS), and uses a regular DB-9 cable – factor in that if you want to program your radio via a computer rather than through twisting knobs on the head.

Don’t get me wrong, the Yaesu looks like an awesome radio, but when I did the math in my situation, the Kenwood came out ahead.

Good luck!

SteveL

on my new battery/antenna system. (see 2nd post above).

All total, I and my Texas Chihuahua (see the avatar or my profile) hiked 13 hours this weekend. (5 Saturday, 8 Sunday). The radio was on that much and more. The BP-170 battery pack shows 5.5 VDC fully charged with 4 each Energizer 1850 mah NiMH batteries. After 13 hours, the voltage had fallen to 5.0. This is a tremendous increace in battery life! Dunno how much longer it will go, but it is really much better than the 4 or so hours I used to get.

NOTE: I use the Radio Shack version of the MAHA C-777 charger.

On the other end, I was worried that the lower output power (1.5 watts down from 5 watts) would be a problem. It was not. The increased gain of the new antenna (my profile photo shows the antenna sticking up from my pack) more than made up for the decrease in output. However, the antenna was VERY flexible. It kept smacking the back of my hat. So saturday night, I got it on my work-bench, and added some heat-shrink tubing on the whip-element. Sunday, it was perfect!

Overall, a really great upgrade of my system. I am truly pleased! I can recommend the Comet BNC-24 antenna for this purpose with the heat-shrink mod. You all might look into doing something like this with your systems. Good luck...

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

I have a TH-D7E which I use with my Garmin GPSIII+. In addition, I've just bought a Digital Camera, a 4.1 Mega Pixel HP 850, which I'm now starting to use with a program called EXIFER (which shows details of date/time that the picture was taken) and has a link to the GPS as well. I did try RoboPhoto but the unregistered version wouldn't allow access to the GPS as well, so I guess I'll have to fork out some cash to link the GPS/Amateur Radio & Digital Camera all toghether. HI!

One problem I have at the moment is that I seem to have altered a setting between the GPSIII+ and TH-D7E and the Kenwood can't see the NMEA output from the GPS anymore! It worked one day, and not the next. icon_confused.gif

(Homeland defence? By the time you get to your gun, a professional would have killed you with it)

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

(Homeland defence? By the time you get to your gun, a professional would have killed you with it)

--... ...--

Morseman

But I figure I am a harder target, and have a better chance than most. When you do something most of your life, no matter if it is right or wrong, you get pretty good at it.

What really kills me is the folks who are adamantly anti-gun. They will berrate me about being a gun owner. But when I suggest they show they really believe it by putting a sign outside their home, it ends there. What should the sign say?

"We are unarmed and defenseless. Please don't hurt us."

I guess their beliefs only go so far.

El Paso, Texas.

Guess I'm gonna hafta give the ol' SMA-24 a try. I resisted getting the AA battery pack for my VX-5R because of the reduced output, but based on your report on the performance of the BNC-24, Mike, I may have to rethink that.

I still intend to get a second L-Ion battery. It's a matter of principle for me to have two main batteries so one can be charged while the other's in use.

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

quote:

--... ...--

Morseman

You apparently are confusing "HOMELAND Defense" with "HOME Defense"

HOMELAND defense is the current PC phrase for protecting America against terrorism.

However, if he WAS talking about HOME defense, you'd find you're probably mistaken. icon_smile.gif

ApK

quote:

Dead again? Lets try come CPR!!! OK... time to stir up the list again. Here is the question.

El Paso, Texas.

[This message was edited by Desert_Warrior on February 08, 2003 at 06:53 AM.]

How do you attach the antenna to your pack? Is it mounted seperatly or is it still on the radio?

Go to my profile, and look at the large photo. The radio is hung from the pack. I have a speaker/mic with remote-control buttons over my shoulder to control the radio. It works great!

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by GlfWrVt:

How do you attach the antenna to your pack? Is it mounted seperatly or is it still on the radio?

The profile doesn't look the same anymore. The photo is tiny, and you can't see it. So here it is.

The POPPY-DOG.

You can see the radio in the dk-green case hung on the side of the pack, and the antenna sticking up, and the remote-control mic over my right shoulder. I get about two days hiking out of this, with power to spare. I used to need 3 battery packs a day.

Enjoy.

BTW, I bet you can appreciate my hiking clothes!

El Paso, Texas.

Just to get a sense of scale, how tall are you, Mike? I wanna know if that puppy is 3' 2" or 5' 7".

Still planning on the SMA-24 antenna, will get it soon. I've ordered the Pocket-J antenna for when I travel. Oh, and I got the extra Li-Ion battery and the AA battery holder for my VX-5. Not to mention assorted microphones and stuff. I wish it had a remote-control mike like yours, Mike.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Yeah.. I dig the clothes... I never got a set that color though...

I like the remote mic. idea. I have a Kenwood th-f6a and a remote mic with three programable buttons, but I hardly ever use it. I opt for the earbud with mic instead. I just have to grab the radio itself and make adjustments that way. I would like to figure out a way to get the antenna up higher above my head or there abouts... I'll work on it.

Lessee, start with a hardhat, some coax and a few connectors, and before you know: übergeek! icon_biggrin.gif

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

Just to get a sense of scale, I wanna know if that puppy is 3' 2" or 5' 7".

He is 38 inches at the point where his collar crosses his back. He weighs 165 pounds, and is actually the gentlest dog you could ask for.

He has an AKC title in obedience, works with alzheimers patients and in the child crisis center, and is by proclimation the only dog allowed in the state park without a leash. I wish I had gotten a photo a few weeks ago when he had about 12 kids all hugging and kissing him while we were hiking. He is one fine dog.

His callsign is K9DOG.

El Paso, Texas.

Wow! Sounds like my 3' 2" was a good guess!

By the way, I went to a Pet Expo in nearby Chantilly, VA, on Sunday. When I saw a similar dog, I immediately thought of yours, so I went over to the owner and told her that, though she wasn't aware of it, her dog was actually a Texas Chihuahua. She loved it, and immediately started telling all of her friends seated nearby.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

What do you use at home?

I've got the VX-5R for an HT. Icom IC-706MKIIG for mobile. Now I'm looking into a home/base unit. Kind of narrowed it down to the Icom IC-746 Pro or the Yaesu FT-847. Anybody have any thoughts?

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

quote:

What do you use at home? Kind of narrowed it down to the Icom IC-746 Pro or the Yaesu FT-847. Anybody have any thoughts?

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

A few thoughts to consider.

First, the satellite guys are dumping the 847, receiver not up to the task. Next, if you have a ALL-IN-ONE box, and something goes wrong, -anything- you are off the air.

That said, have you thought about the ICOM IC-706? Let me tell you how I have mine set up.

I got the remote mount kit. I cut an aluminum bracket like an up-side-down T, then mounted the front panel to it, with the mic attached. Then I mounted it all to a nice wooden base. This is all that sits up on the desk, along with a remote speaker. The main chassis, and power supply sit out of sight. Along with an ICOM IC-AH4 remote automatic tuner, I think it is the ultimate full-power small-footprint station. It is also portable, and can be pressed into mobile work too. And they are pretty affordable right now.

Something to think about.

El Paso, Texas.

Thanks, Mike.

I've got the 706 set up rather well. I got 2 of the mount kits. In the shack, I've got the power supply, auto tuner & chassis out of sight. Then I stained a 6" wide X 4' long piece of oak board & mounted one of the mounts on the board on the wall alongside my computer stations. Put the front panel on the mount, & alonside, put a chrome screw in to hold the mike,another to hold the Heil headset & also mounted a remote speaker. Works out great. Then in my van, I fabricated an aluminum block that sits firmly in a recess in my dash. I put the other mounting bracket on the block & the front panel sits right there in plain view. I set the chassis & a second auto tuner back near the back of the van behind the rear seat. The connectors for the 2m/440 antenna & HF hamsticks are right there, as I have the coax coming thru the back door with the antennae mounted on the roof near the back of the vehicle. Have another remote speaker mounted in the van as well.Also works out very well. My problem is that I get tired of transporting the chassis & other gear back & forth between the 2 locations. I'd like to leave the 706 chassis etc. right in the van & have a rig in the shack that stays there. After doing a little more checking, I think I'm going with the IC-746PRO. I believe a lot of the functions on the 746 are similar to the 706, so should be a little easier to get used to. Decisions,decisions. icon_confused.gif

Thanks for your input.

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

quote:

Thanks, Mike.

I've got the 706 set up rather well. I got 2 of the mount kits. In the shack, Then in my van, I'd like to leave the 706 chassis etc. I think I'm going with the IC-746PRO. I believe a lot of the functions on the 746 are similar to the 706, so should be a little easier to get used to. Decisions,decisions. icon_confused.gif

Thanks for your input.

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

Sounds like you got it all figured out. GREAT! I know of one 746, and the owner is pleased with it.

quote:
Originally posted by GlfWrVt:

hey D.W. check your private topics plz.

Well, I am embarassed to admit this, but I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a private topic, and where do I check it?

Thanks.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

Well, I am embarassed to admit this, but I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a private topic, and where do I check it?

Look at the top of the page, open the My Space menu and select the Private Topics menu item.

[grumble]

dadgum fool military retirees oughta gitta license to operate a computer on the Internet!

[/grumble]

icon_wink.gif

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

quote:

Look at the top of the page, open the My Space menu and select the Private Topics menu item.

[grumble]

dadgum fool military retirees oughta gitta license to operate a computer on the Internet!

[/grumble]

icon_wink.gif

I think it is because I don't spend enough time on the computer that I have not seen this before. THANKS!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Guess I'm gonna hafta give the ol' SMA-24 a try. I resisted getting the AA battery pack for my VX-5R because of the reduced output, but based on your report on the performance of the BNC-24, Mike, I may have to rethink that.<BR><BR>I still intend to get a second L-Ion battery. It's a matter of principle for me to have two main batteries so one can be charged while the other's in use.<BR><BR>-----<BR>~ Boyd<BR>KG4YQS<BR><BR>"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

I have an SMA24 for my VX5R.

I don't think I'll ever put the stock antenna back on, unless it's to sell the radio.

edit: sorry, didn't mean to revive a year-old thread. :o

Edited by _mo_

Just got my Kenwood th-d7a back, had the G upgrade done.

NOW I get to buy the SMA24 for it...

I still wanna know that long story about Kenwood, DW! Private mail is okay with me, but others may be interested too.

Maybe a new topic about Service Centers and Ham's experiences with them?

Todd-K7PKT

Just got my Kenwood th-d7a back, had the G upgrade done.

NOW I get to buy the SMA24 for it...

I still wanna know that long story about Kenwood, DW! Private mail is okay with me, but others may be interested too.

Maybe a new topic about Service Centers and Ham's experiences with them?

Todd-K7PKT

R and L electronics in Ohio had the best price by about $3 on that antenna when I bought it a couple months ago.

_mo_ - thanks, found the link and it looks to be a cheaper price. I'll check back when they're in stock.

Todd-K7PKT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morseman:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><BR>They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>(Homeland defence? By the time you get to your gun, a professional would have killed you with it)<BR><BR>--... ...--<BR>Morseman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>You apparently are confusing "HOMELAND Defense" with "HOME Defense"<BR><BR>HOMELAND defense is the current PC phrase for protecting America against terrorism.<BR><BR>However, if he WAS talking about HOME defense, you'd find <A HREF="http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/kleck2.html" TARGET=_blank>you're probably mistaken.</A> icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin:<_<--><BR><BR>ApK

Just as a side note guys - my newest NRA classification card just came in the mail today.

EXPERT CLASS in High-Power Rifle.

Of course, the card only comes out once every 6 months, and I am two points short of MASTER class right now. Quite frankly, Expert class at 600 yards was all I hoped to make. Isn't it amazing how good you can get at something when it is FUN!!! :P

Wow, nice. That doesn't come without a lot of practice and patience. You have a steadier hand than I.

Congrats! And hope to hear of you hitting master here soon!

Todd - K7PKT

My latest goodies ham wise? A complete HF station to go with my 6 week old General Class ticket (taking element 4 this weekend - wish me luck)

As for EVERYDAY carry/or what I take into the field? I have NOT been cache hunting - my interest is benchmarks (so shoot me :D ) My everyday carry radios are:

Icom T7H dual band radio - I find I'm using this less and less - it's my smallest and lightest, but if I need both bands....

2M Rig - GE/Erricson/Ma-Com M-PA commercial rig programmed for 2m use - NICE radio, I've NEVER had any intermod on it

70cm rig - another M-PA!!

When I take the train/bus to work, I carry about 50 lbs of gear with me (NOT kidding), but I'm my county's ARES EC, so... I usually have the Icom, with a spare battery pack in my rucksack, and the 2m M-pa in my field jacket pocket or on my belt

One good thing about commercial rigs - they hold up to all sorts of abuse that Ham gear just won't take

The Truck? It depends - "Normal" is a VHF and a UHF GE Rangr (sic) rigs - 100 watts each. Then the APRS box comes in and out as needed, and I'll sometimes have the Kenwood G707 in there too - I really need to add a 6m rig to the truck - yeah, I have way too much radio gear in there

Getting along with studying for the Technician exam. Found contacts for Omaha to take the exam. Have been snooping around the internet for ham radios.

This is what I perceive my needs are to start:

1. A radio that I can take with me for caching and hiking that would be simple to use, but not so simple that it can't do more than connect to a repeater.

So probably a 2M handheld.

2. A handheld that will have the capacity to duplex into a mobile in my truck to get to repeaters, once I can stop shuddering long enough to spend the money for one of these.

Now my questions:

1. Is there a good and reliable source of product info regarding these entry level radios? Which sources of info do you use to shop for radios?

2. A friend of mine suggested that I start with the mobile unit then add a handheld, but this would prevent me from carrying it into the woods for caches and such. It would give me more watts so that when I am in western Nebraska, I could reach repeaters easier. Which direction did you start from, mobile first or handheld first?

3. Is it just me, or is ebay a highly suspect place to buy Ham radio equipment? There seems to be a lot of vintage parts and homebrew antennas and dead radios for sale.

Thanks in advance.

Getting along with studying for the Technician exam. Found contacts for Omaha to take the exam. Have been snooping around the internet for ham radios.

This is what I perceive my needs are to start:

1. A radio that I can take with me for caching and hiking that would be simple to use, but not so simple that it can't do more than connect to a repeater.

So probably a 2M handheld.

2. A handheld that will have the capacity to duplex into a mobile in my truck to get to repeaters, once I can stop shuddering long enough to spend the money for one of these.

Now my questions:

1. Is there a good and reliable source of product info regarding these entry level radios? Which sources of info do you use to shop for radios?

2. A friend of mine suggested that I start with the mobile unit then add a handheld, but this would prevent me from carrying it into the woods for caches and such. It would give me more watts so that when I am in western Nebraska, I could reach repeaters easier. Which direction did you start from, mobile first or handheld first?

3. Is it just me, or is ebay a highly suspect place to buy Ham radio equipment? There seems to be a lot of vintage parts and homebrew antennas and dead radios for sale.

Thanks in advance.

1. if you want an HT for your first rig, read point 2. If you HAVE to have an HT as your first rig, go to eham.com and read some reviews of the current models offered by the biggies (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood).

2. listen to your friend - he's pretty much dead on.

3. hit the Aksarben Ham club site. I'm sure they have some sort of annual hamfest.

I'll look you up next time I'm in town. I grew up in Omaha. My dad's a big ham, NC0X - mostly HF CW, but you might hear him on 2m as well.

Let me second the comment on eham.com. You'll see it all, the good the bad and the ugly.

2.  A friend of mine suggested that I start with the mobile unit then add a handheld, but this would prevent me from carrying it into the woods for caches and such.  It would give me more watts so that when I am in western Nebraska, I could reach repeaters easier.  Which direction did you start from, mobile first or handheld first?

I'd this is a question that needs to be answered by those who know the area. In my area there are enough repeaters that you can easily get by with just a HT. But other places in the U.S. are just the opposite.

3.  Is it just me, or is ebay a highly suspect place to buy Ham radio equipment?  There seems to be a lot of vintage parts and homebrew antennas and dead radios for sale.

As long as people are up front about what you're getting I see no problem. It may not be the best place for a new ham since you have to know something about what you're buying.

Because of the relay requirement, I'd suggest you look into getting a dual-band rig for both HT and mobile. I like Kenwood stuff myself. I have the TH-F6A HT and a TM-733 (discontinued) mobile.