Cache Log Troll

Hello all,

I have a cache that I had to temporarily disable pending coordinate correction by a reviewer. Because the coordinates are off by a fair margin (through a snafu during coordinate notation) I have to have the reviewer correct the coordinates - I can't do it myself. A cacher has decided to start bombarding the logs for the cache with messages ranging from rage that the cache has been temporarily de-listed to requests for hints about the cache's location. Even when I explained that I couldn't do anything about the cache listing until a reviewer handled the coordinate correction, he continues to post. I delete his logs but he just keeps coming back. Is there a way to disable comments on a cache log until the cache gets re-listed? Or a way to put someone on 'ignore?'

Thanks,

Michael // Torchwood Four

Hello all,

I have a cache that I had to temporarily disable pending coordinate correction by a reviewer. Because the coordinates are off by a fair margin (through a snafu during coordinate notation) I have to have the reviewer correct the coordinates - I can't do it myself. A cacher has decided to start bombarding the logs for the cache with messages ranging from rage that the cache has been temporarily de-listed to requests for hints about the cache's location. Even when I explained that I couldn't do anything about the cache listing until a reviewer handled the coordinate correction, he continues to post. I delete his logs but he just keeps coming back. Is there a way to disable comments on a cache log until the cache gets re-listed? Or a way to put someone on 'ignore?'

Thanks,

Contact your Reviewer. If you are feeling harassed, email to contact@geocaching.com

Doesn't seem rude to me. Just a bunch of miscommunication and maybe a finder who's a little anxious to find the cache. I'm guessing you're not posting the coordinates in a log because you don't want an unfair FTF?

P.S. What's with the reviewer notes asking why you are deleting his notes?

Edited by L0ne R
offline.cacher posted a reviewer note for [Traditional Cache] Old MacDonald Sold The Farm

So why are you deleting my logs?

^This is odd. Did you accidentally delete some of the reviewer's logs? I also find it odd that a reviewer has been posting logs, but hasn't updated the coordinates for you.

The OP hasn't actually (re)submitted the cache so it's not in the queue?

Hello all,

Thanks,

You could also respond via a PM and send them a set of corrected coordinates and "accidentally" switch a couple of the more significant digits.

I also find it odd that a reviewer has been posting logs, but hasn't updated the coordinates for you.

The OP hasn't actually (re)submitted the cache so it's not in the queue?

I don't think that's the case. If it was an unpublished cache I'd agree with you, but it's published. It wouldn't make sense to enable the cache before the coordinates are updated.

offline.cacher posted a reviewer note for [Traditional Cache] Old MacDonald Sold The Farm

^This is odd. Did you accidentally delete some of the reviewer's logs? I also find it odd that a reviewer has been posting logs, but hasn't updated the coordinates for you.

The reviewer posted a log with wrong coordinates that put the cache in someone's front yard. I removed that log to make sure that people didn't go trespassing somewhere that the geocache wasn't located at, then contacted the reviewer via PM to explain that.

As to why the reviewer posted a 'why are you deleting my logs' but didn't update the cache coords when I responded to him via PM, I'm not sure.

I don't want to post the correct coordinates in the written logs because as others have said I don't want to create an unfair FTF.

The reviewer posted a log with wrong coordinates that put the cache in someone's front yard. I removed that log to make sure that people didn't go trespassing somewhere that the geocache wasn't located at, then contacted the reviewer via PM to explain that.

As to why the reviewer posted a 'why are you deleting my logs' but didn't update the cache coords when I responded to him via PM, I'm not sure.

I don't want to post the correct coordinates in the written logs because as others have said I don't want to create an unfair FTF.

I'm sensing more to this story.

As for the anxious cacher, if it is the person in the logs posting recent notes, I wouldn't stress about it. They aren't harassing, rather, they seem to be interested in when they can go out and find your cache. It should be exciting that someone wants to find a cache you've thought to put out for others to find! :smile:

Then, with the reviewer, I wouldn't delete any more logs until the cache is listed properly. The wait might be a lot of things, but 24-72 hours isn't uncommon. There might be proximity issues, and there might be a cache in their queue that is near where your cache already is. Best bet is to post a Reviewer Note to the cache listing with your requested updated coords. Email the reviewer again, and gently ask them if they can update the coords for you. Mention that you aren't sure if your communication is going to the correct place, and ask if there is a best method they like to be communicated with for these types of issues.

Patience!

Sorry to say it this way, but I think it needs sayin....

Forget the "fairness" aspect regarding the FTF (which isn't official)... be fair to the caching community and make the change!!!

You are busy trying to be fair to one, but not fair to the rest of the world.

As for the anxious cacher, if it is the person in the logs posting recent notes, I wouldn't stress about it. They aren't harassing, rather, they seem to be interested in when they can go out and find your cache. It should be exciting that someone wants to find a cache you've thought to put out for others to find! :smile:

Then, with the reviewer, I wouldn't delete any more logs until the cache is listed properly. The wait might be a lot of things, but 24-72 hours isn't uncommon. There might be proximity issues, and there might be a cache in their queue that is near where your cache already is. Best bet is to post a Reviewer Note to the cache listing with your requested updated coords. Email the reviewer again, and gently ask them if they can update the coords for you. Mention that you aren't sure if your communication is going to the correct place, and ask if there is a best method they like to be communicated with for these types of issues.

Patience!

No, there isn't more to this story.

The original coordinates were wrong, which I didn't realize until people kept DNF'ing even with obvious hints. Went out to the site and realized that the coordinates showed the cache being under one light pole in a section of the parking lot when it should have been under a different light pole in a different section of the parking lot. I messaged the reviewer to request an adjustment but due to a snafu in the coordinates he wound up posting a cache location that was not only not the correct location, but also was in someone's front yard (a big no-no). I whacked the log with the revised coordinates to prevent folks tromping around in some poor innocent bystander's yard and sent him a PM explaining why and telling him where the correct coordinates were. Meanwhile this other guy kept spamming the logs with various requests and demands for information about where the cache was, and remark after remark about the coords being wrong (all AFTER the listing was disabled). I kept cleaning the comments out but he kept coming back. Then the reviewer posted 'why are you deleting my logs?' but never corrected the coordinates.

Please explain how you posting the coords would be unfair. Any change the reviewer makes is not going to go out as a notification. Rather it will only be seen by anybody that has the cache on their watchlist or a bookmark list. The same with any log you make. So my advise is quit holding back. Post the coords already.

Meanwhile this other guy kept spamming the logs with various requests and demands for information about where the cache was, and remark after remark about the coords being wrong (all AFTER the listing was disabled). I kept cleaning the comments out but he kept coming back. Then the reviewer posted 'why are you deleting my logs?' but never corrected the coordinates.

Sounds like a Ringbone moment. My money's on the reviewer forgetting that he was logged into his regular geocaching account, when he meant to be logged into his reviewer's account. It's just a guess, but I'd be curious if that were the case.

Whacking the reviewer's update coordinates log doesn't whack the updated coordinates from the cache page. So that log deletion was unnecessary.

I did not realize this.

Meanwhile this other guy kept spamming the logs with various requests and demands for information about where the cache was, and remark after remark about the coords being wrong (all AFTER the listing was disabled). I kept cleaning the comments out but he kept coming back. Then the reviewer posted 'why are you deleting my logs?' but never corrected the coordinates.

Sounds like a Ringbone moment. My money's on the reviewer forgetting that he was logged into his regular geocaching account, when he meant to be logged into his reviewer's account. It's just a guess, but I'd be curious if that were the case.

It could be. I have seen examples of what appeared to be sock-puppetry involved on other geocache logs before. It's entirely reasonable that this was what was behind the remark, which I found very odd in the context of a reviewer to be posting.

Edited by Torchwood Four

I find myself shaking my head about all the confusion and angst over which light pole houses a crumby micro container...

Are you sure it wasn't reviewer notes on your cache page? Not trying to be snarky, just throwing out a possible oversight.

It's not a reviewer note. I mean, it says 'Reviewer Note,' but you can still see his comments even when you log out and view the page.

Edited by Torchwood Four

offline.geocacher is a reasonable reviewer, we worked with them often in Virginia and had the pleasure of meeting them at our 10 Years! event. Just remind them that you need their help updating the coordinates.

As far as the other cacher involved, it looks like a kid. I don't think they're trying to be a pain. Or even if they are, it's a kid, so, whatever.

offline.geocacher is a reasonable reviewer, we worked with them often in Virginia and had the pleasure of meeting them at our 10 Years! event. Just remind them that you need their help updating the coordinates.

As far as the other cacher involved, it looks like a kid. I don't think they're trying to be a pain. Or even if they are, it's a kid, so, whatever.

I sent offline.cacher a reminder note earlier today. I am going to wait and see what happens. If I don't hear back I do know of another reviewer who will probably be more than willing to assist with getting it straightened out. Hopefully the personal communications posted by offline.cacher can be taken off the logs, as it looks bad.

Please explain how you posting the coords would be unfair. Any change the reviewer makes is not going to go out as a notification. Rather it will only be seen by anybody that has the cache on their watchlist or a bookmark list. The same with any log you make. So my advise is quit holding back. Post the coords already.

Still wondering how you think posting the coords would create an unfair advantage to anyone?

Patience!

No, there isn't more to this story.

The original coordinates were wrong, which I didn't realize until people kept DNF'ing even with obvious hints. Went out to the site and realized that the coordinates showed the cache being under one light pole in a section of the parking lot when it should have been under a different light pole in a different section of the parking lot. I messaged the reviewer to request an adjustment but due to a snafu in the coordinates he wound up posting a cache location that was not only not the correct location, but also was in someone's front yard (a big no-no). I whacked the log with the revised coordinates to prevent folks tromping around in some poor innocent bystander's yard and sent him a PM explaining why and telling him where the correct coordinates were. Meanwhile this other guy kept spamming the logs with various requests and demands for information about where the cache was, and remark after remark about the coords being wrong (all AFTER the listing was disabled). I kept cleaning the comments out but he kept coming back. Then the reviewer posted 'why are you deleting my logs?' but never corrected the coordinates.

Well, from what I've read since I posted this comment, it looks like there was more to the story. :anicute:

At any rate, don't forget to read what I posted after that single opening sentence:

Since it sounds like the person you refer to isn't the same person that has the most recent notes logged on your cache, simply relax and wait for the Reviewer to update the coords. Once that is done, will it really matter that someone was chomping at the bit to get out and find your cache? I think it will all get ironed out, and really isn't worth getting worked up about.

However, since we can't see the original logs, it is hard to tell if there was harassment happening. If so, you can report it, as I mentioned. If not really harassment, and just someone posting to ask for updates, let their log stand, and it will all blow over. Don't take 1 cacher too seriously...

That is my local reviewer in Virginia, always been a pleasure to work with them. :)

Hello all,

Thanks,

Contact your Reviewer. If you are feeling harassed, email to contact@geocaching.com

Agree. 1- Contact the reviewer. 2- Try not to let petty people get to you.