New category

I'm a big fan of Herge's Tintin. Known to most Europeans but unknown to many Americans. Tintin is one of the most beloved and honouered comics in Europe with roots in the Belgium comic tradition. US have a tradition with super heros and we have the Belgium comics. Disney has spread to all over the world, but Tintin is really something speciael in Europe.

Like the category with Mummin and Zippey The Pinhead I would love to see a Tintin Category. The author of Tintin Herge was known and acknowleged for his precise and accurate drawings which were very faithful to real life locations. The Marlin Spike Castle is an example a copy of a castle in Northern France:

is just one example. The famous Petra in Jordan, which is famous from Indiana Jones, was also used in a scene in a Tintin album . There are numerous of examples.

Besides this real life locations I suggest a category could also include statues, figues etc of the characters.

On the other hand I would not like to se a waymark in this category with just an album or a movie poster with Tintin on it. That would simply create to many posibilities (like seen in the current Moomin or Pikachu categorys) I think.

Finally: sorry about my poor abilities in inserting links and pictures. I will work on it to produce some examples. Hope somebody will join me for a Tintin category.

Edited by kallehaugerne

Well, the 2011 movie The Adventures of Tintinhelped introduce this character to American audiences and others worldwide. It was very well received.

We had some Tintin waymarks in the murals or graffiti categories, but I think a dedicated category might be justified. We do have precedents in other similar categories, as you've noted.

Just get some experienced waymarkers to help you write and manage the category.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. First we have a copyright problem. If you find something from the comic in the real life you aren't allowed to load this scene up. I have only one 'Tim und Struppi' comic so where should I get the others? Are they available online? For comic stores we have already an own category. If we create a category for every character,... Is this really a good idea? I love Gaston, Asterix and Obelix, Spirou und Fantasio,.... The mumins cat has about 38 waymarks since almost three years. Perhaps we find another solution, something more broadly defined. Convince me of the contrary :grin:

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. First we have a copyright problem. If you find something from the comic in the real life you aren't allowed to load this scene up. I have only one 'Tim und Struppi' comic so where should I get the others? Are they available online? For comic stores we have already an own category. If we create a category for every character,... Is this really a good idea? I love Gaston, Asterix and Obelix, Spirou und Fantasio,.... The mumins cat has about 38 waymarks since almost three years. Perhaps we find another solution, something more broadly defined. Convince me of the contrary :grin:

I will do my best to convince you that this is a good idea :antenna:

I thought about the copyright issue. How was it solved with: Zippy the Pinhead, The Peanuts, Pikachu and Moomin? Perhaps somebody can tell.

Poor you if you have only one album with the great and smart hero :bad: I don't have a single album with Zippy the Pinhead, and the Moomins are abviously not so common in the US. You can find lots of information about Tintin here: http://www.tintinologist.org/ or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_(character)

Or here: http://us.tintin.com/

My point is that to many people Tintin is considered the essence of Belgium comic tradition/art as it is one of the oldest.

I don't want to create a new category for comic shops. But in the case that a certain comic shop is dedicated to Tintin i beleive it should belong to this category.

Asterix and Gaston are cool to B) but my favorite is Tintin. And that is why I'm so dedicated to create this category. (Take a look on the articles on wikipedia about respectively: Asterix, Gaston and Tintin and tell me who is most important ;) )

Well this is not a question about likes/dislikes. I just try to argue that Tintin is "the king of european comics" and therefore should have his own category.

The category should include all characters from the albums and not only the little reporter.

Another argument is, that this category could surely be worldwide. From Tibet to Amazonas

From The middle East

To Scotland

And even on the moon :laughing:

About items. That could be the cars. You can find information about all the models here:http://dardel.info/tintin/index.html"]here

I beleive that a tintin related car should be on public dispaly and permanently displayed. Perhaps it should be necessary to make a limit to one waymark per car model.

It is also possible to find statues, reliefs or murals (In Brussels for example showing subject from Tintin. Most people would be able to recognize that, even though they might not be very familiar with the content of the albums.

So I think a Tintin category could have a big appeal to many waymarkers as it would include many different areas. And the title tells: it's allabout Tintin :rolleyes:

Did I make you just one little step closer to a yes? B)

Edited by kallehaugerne

I like Tintin and I owned all the volumes (except the Soviets). But I do not see any potential for a successful category.

There may be some statues and murals, especially in Belgium, but how many? Maybe 10 or 20 worldwide are my guess. Real world locations are some, but how many of them are really interesting or important for the stories? About a third of the books are set in completely fictional countries like Syldavia, Borduria, San Theodoros and others.

What else? Shops dedicated or named after Tintin or other characters in the series? There is one in Stockholm, I think. Does anybody know of others?

Static car display of models that appear in the book? I do not think this makes sense.

I am not convinced at all.

I think there is considerable difference between this and Zippy the Pinhead. The Zippy strips are often set in real world locations and those are the locations that are waymarked. These locations are often "quirky" and are located world wide. The same can not be said about Tintin. I just don't see much appeal. I could probably find a shop that sells them but I can already waymark the location in Comic Book Shops.

I think there is considerable difference between this and Zippy the Pinhead. The Zippy strips are often set in real world locations and those are the locations that are waymarked. These locations are often "quirky" and are located world wide. The same can not be said about Tintin. I just don't see much appeal. I could probably find a shop that sells them but I can already waymark the location in Comic Book Shops.

Please forgive me if this is a naive question: But is this the normal way a discussion runs? I'm not used to this so I'm a bit surprised and I just want to continue the "right way".

Then to answer your questions.

I don't know anything about Zippy. Never heard about him before I started to look at the categories. I don't dislike him, I just don't know the stories. So To me, it's hard to se the point fon Zippy as a waymark.

It's not true that Tintin is not set en real world locations. That one of the details the that made the stories famous. At least in Europe. I'm not able to tell how fare the fame have spread.

Hergé was known to do very serious research before he draw his albums. As a few examples I have visited myself, I could mention: Petra in Jordan, The Eiffel Tower, Paris and Chateau de Cherverny in France.

I would love to give examples of that. But I'm new into this forum thing, so I just want to do it right? Do you expect me to argue and "fight" for mu idea here?

As I said previously, I do not think that comic stores should belong to a category like this unless They are dedicaded to Tintin. Like: The Tintin Shop in London

A simple search on Google with "Tintin shop" tells me that there are several shops in: Brussel, New York, Singapore, Paris, Tokyo. These are Not comicshops, but sell all kind of Tintin merchandise including the books.

Another example would be Faraos Cigarer in Copenhagen. That is a comicstore, but the name of the store is similar to a Tintin book and they have specialized in Tintin items and books. That is just an example from my part of the world, not to say that this should be included in the category. Just to tell, that this category could get waymarks from different areas.

May I sugest that you watch this movie: Tintin and me a prized

film about Tintin. It gives a really good impression of the depth in the stories.

I like Tintin and I owned all the volumes (except the Soviets). But I do not see any potential for a successful category.

There may be some statues and murals, especially in Belgium, but how many? Maybe 10 or 20 worldwide are my guess.I live in a little town and we have 2 figues. I saw one in Edinburgh (can't find out to put in a picture here, sorry :( so I have the impression that figures, paintings, murals whatever could be found world wide.

Real world locations are some, but how many of them are really interesting or important for the stories? About a third(What about: Tintin in Congo, Tibet,America? of the books are set in completely fictional countries like Syldavia, Borduria, San Theodoros and others.But still there could be real world locations. Please take a look of the cover of Tint tin and the Picaros The pyramid in the background is very similar to some aztec pyramids :rolleyes: I feel a bit confused here since I am new in this discussion forum. Do you expect me to argue by proofs? :blink::unsure:

What else? Shops dedicated or named after Tintin or other characters in the series? There is one in Stockholm, I think. Does anybody know of others?

Yes I do! In London, Copenhagen, Singapore, Paris, Brussel and New York.

The point of this category would be to find out where in the world Tintin has set traces. Like these kind of shops

Static car display of models that appear in the book? I do not think this makes sense.

I am not convinced at all.

Welcome to the Waymarking forums!

You ask about the "normal way". I don't know about "normal ways", but we are the good guys, believe me :ph34r: !

We are just telling you our opinions. None of us does speak for the community and we all might be wrong, but not enough support here in the forum is a strong sign that it will be very difficult in Peer Review. The FAQ reads like Peer Review is just a formality, but there are more proposals denied than approved.

Back to Tintin. I still don't like the idea.

I dislike the commercial categories, so I don't support to mix in all those shops to bring up the potential numbers, even if there are in fact a lot more of these locations than I originally thought.

Tintin has also visited a lot of real countries, you are right. I could add Egypt, China, Scotland and some more. That is not the point. The question is, how many waymarks with exact coordinates can be made out of this. You mention a few, but not many. The pyramid is similar to real ones, but it does not exist in reality. The details are perfectly researched, but the big picture is often fictional. I don't think there are enough locations for a category.

This is just my personal opinion. Once a category is approved, it is fine for me and I would even try to contribute. But -- based on my current knowledge of the facts -- I will not vote for it.

Would this work as a literary location? A comic book is Literature.

I havn't thought about that. That might be an idea :laughing:

There was another Comic Vjeko grew up with, I can't remember the whole name, but does Ford ring a bell? He was reading it in Cyrillic in Serbia, but I think we have also seen it in Croatian.

Would this work as a literary location? A comic book is Literature.

There was another Comic Vjeko grew up with, I can't remember the whole name, but does Ford ring a bell? He was reading it in Cyrillic in Serbia, but I think we have also seen it in Croatian.

Yes! That was it! I don't remember it being in the US, but it was a favorite over there.

Did we just miss peer review on this category? Can someone tell us when it was, if at all.

All the posts in this thread were in 2013. Which is 3 years, 21 days ago.

What is most interesting is that the 23 approved waymarks were posted between March 2nd to April 30th, 2016.

Where are the missing 3 years? Why no activity on this thread in over three years? Why did it take over 3 years for the first approved waymark?

Did we just miss peer review on this category? Can someone tell us when it was, if at all.

All the posts in this thread were in 2013. Which is 3 years, 21 days ago.

What is most interesting is that the 23 approved waymarks were posted between March 2nd to April 30th, 2016.

Where are the missing 3 years? Why no activity on this thread in over three years? Why did it take over 3 years for the first approved waymark?

I had to deal with some very serious problems in my family. Therefore I wasn't able to focuse on creating the category description. That is why 3 years passed. English is not my native language and I find it quite challenging to write the category description. And then 3 years just passed. Very simple. I am sorry you missed the peer review on this.