Contacting local authorities - UK

Bloodheart

My local authority is listed in GAGB database, the instructions are to contact the manager of the area where I want to place the cache - this is fine, however what do you say in the email/letter?

Do they need any details of the cache prior to placing?

I'm not 100% sure where the cache is going to be placed, and I don't want to do too much to figure out a location until I know it's okay to place the cache, but I wonder if this is not a backwards way of doing things in this situation. I'm also a little concerned at the lack of caches at this location - one near, two long-archived caches in the area - given as this is a major park in the city centre it seems a bit strange for a prime location to be left without any caches placed...I'm on the local caching forum but don't want to give the game away on where the new cache will be so can't ask about the location.

You really should do all the work first, including having your proposed hide spot selected. The manager WILL be interested to know where the cache will be placed -- that is what 'managers' are for, to manage the use of the property and he/she will more than likely want to know exactly where you plan to put the hide.

Another thing would be helpful -- arrange for a meeting by email, telephone or snail-mail. The actual request should be in person. Be prepared to answer any question that may arise. Be mindful to NOT refer to geocaching as a 'treasure hunt'. That term always conjures up thoughts of people digging -- not something a property manager would like to see.

Also, be prepared for rejection as it does sound that the park you chose may well be closed to geocaching, if none are currently there.

I'd suggest you first contact the park manager with your initial suggestion that you would like to place a geocache in XXXXXX park. Give them a link to the GAGB agreement (just in case the manager has changed recently and details may not have been updated). Explain that if it is allowed you will be happy to work with him/her in choosing a suitable locations.

If you don't want to give the game away by asking questions in your local caching group you could drop an email to your local reviewer to enquire whether there are any specific "issues" regarding the park.

Also read here: Geocaching wiki - UK

You may be able to get more help/suggestions from somebody on the Groundspeak UK forum or from the GAGB forum.

MrsB :)