Caches of interest

Geogetit

Hope this is at least close to where i need to start this thread..I am planning to take a trip north from central Florida and travel to NW PA.area and intend on making this a geocaching trip.How to i go about finding caches of " fame " or "interest" in a given area on my route north..not sure if this is possible but maybe someone has done this before and can give me an idea as where to start.Thanks in advance for any and all help.Even caches of local legend or lore are what i would be interested in also

My own particular 'rough and ready' way to do this is to do a search for all caches within e.g. 5 miles of a specific town, using this page: Hide & seek a cache

Once you have the list of caches click on the little blue Favorites rosette (3rd column) and the list will sort into caches with most favourites at the top.

I'm sure others will have more elegant ways of selecting good caches.

MrsB :)

I agree with MrsB....whenever I run a PQ for a new area I'm planning to cache in (or along a route, as in your case), I'll usually sort by Favorites points as suggested. It's a pretty good indication of which are the best, most popular caches in that area.

You have to consider the area though....in the French Quarter in New Orleans, for example, I've found a few caches that were fairly unremarkable (IMHO) that had tons of fave points, but this was mainly because they get tons of visitors. Also, hey, they're in the French Quarter, which is cool location even if the cache itself was just so-so.

My own particular 'rough and ready' way to do this is to do a search for all caches within e.g. 5 miles of a specific town, using this page: Hide & seek a cache

Once you have the list of caches click on the little blue Favorites rosette (3rd column) and the list will sort into caches with most favourites at the top.

I'm sure others will have more elegant ways of selecting good caches.

MrsB :)

Being the strange dolphin that I am, I am considering a trip to NW PA this summer. To color in a number of counties in the commonwealth. But my main attraction would the Jasmer Challenge: State Game Lands #109, hidden 9/21/2000. And, of course: The Spot. Hidden 05/26/2000. But that is in New York. (And, of course, coloring a few counties in New York.)

That would leave me missing two months for the Jasmer Challenge...

Each to his/her own. (I would love to visit Erie.) But those are two considerations for you.

You can always try posting a question in one of the regional forums here on geocaching.com...but those are not all that active. Sorting by favorite points is likely the best way to get results.

How strange..Erie is on my intinerary...and Bradford Pa also and all areas south of Erie...

Being the strange dolphin that I am, I am considering a trip to NW PA this summer. To color in a number of counties in the commonwealth. But my main attraction would the Jasmer Challenge: State Game Lands #109, hidden 9/21/2000. And, of course: The Spot. Hidden 05/26/2000. But that is in New York. (And, of course, coloring a few counties in New York.)

That would leave me missing two months for the Jasmer Challenge...

Each to his/her own. (I would love to visit Erie.) But those are two considerations for you.

How strange..Erie is on my intinerary...and Bradford Pa also and all areas south of Erie...