caching with smartphone

jeepcacher

I haven't cached in a few years and really miss it. I have since upgraded to a Droid RAZR M. I was do excited to see that there is a Geocaching app for my phone. It even allows me to save caches to an offline file. This is awesome because I am used to caching with Garman vista hcx, a palm pilot, lots of print offs, etc. My phone can now do everything in a dead zone, except for show the caches on a map. I live and cache mostly in a dead zone. Can anyone recommend an app that will show caches on a map. Also any other recommendations for caching with phone are appreciated. Thank you

I haven't cached in a few years and really miss it. I have since upgraded to a Droid RAZR M. I was do excited to see that there is a Geocaching app for my phone. It even allows me to save caches to an offline file. This is awesome because I am used to caching with Garman vista hcx, a palm pilot, lots of print offs, etc. My phone can now do everything in a dead zone, except for show the caches on a map. I live and cache mostly in a dead zone. Can anyone recommend an app that will show caches on a map. Also any other recommendations for caching with phone are appreciated. Thank you

On my Android phone I use NeonGeo. It is a geocaching app. It can either download caches vie Groundspeak's API, or import PQs. When the settings are set appropriatly, it will cache maps, so whenever you view a map, it will be available later even when in airplane mode, or out of data coverage. It has several map sources preset up, but you can also set up additional map sources. I have Google maps, Google Satalitte, Open Street Maps, My Topo, and Open Cycle Maps. all setup. When I know I will be caching in areas with no data, I just make sure that I view all the maps ahead of time so they will be available.

I'll +1 the Locus Pro recommendation it's GREAT for Android/Geocaching. You can download as many PQ's to the phone/tablet as you want and you can also save map segments for offline use.

We used that combo the last time we went to Cuba. GPS's are a no-no there (!) but we thought we'd risk using the built-in one in my Android phone. With Locus Pro showing all the Geo's on the off-line maps it was a breeze finding a few Geos! We had to wait to get back home to log them though :rolleyes:

Can you plz explain how I get caches on Google map for offline use?

When you save the caches, you can choose to save street and/or topo maps. You can't save "Google maps" due to licensing issues, but the ones that are used work fine.

You select the saved folder and then click on the map icon. The caches and the maps will show up.

Try c:geo. I've been using it for a few weeks now and have zero complaints. It links flawlessly for paperless caching with geocaching.com. It allows you to d/l for offline use and gives you the option of many different map types. It's interface is a breeze to use, allows you to use a live map, compass, store caches or navigate using coordinates you input yourself. It also allows you to search based on type, name, address, gc code, trackable, keyword, username, search nearest, etc. It allows you to link with a gps unit through bluetooth, your phones calendar for events, scan geocodes, scan barcodes, or search for geocaches by name. I'm sure I'm missing some things. Best of all, it's free.

I agree, C:GEO for android is by far the best app i've found. and it's free!

Very good for offline maps using Open Street Maps! and Google satellite view for when you have network coverage.

Google don't allow the use of their maps offline so this is the next best thing.

When you take caches offline you also get descriptions, attributes, waypoints, hints and the 25 last logs and photos.