Coin confusion

tisourway

So, I found this coin in a cache. The cache invintory listed a coin called "Dad's Coin", not thinking much about it I attemted to enter the coin's tracking code, rejected. The code stamped into the back of the coin is only a 4 digit number no alpha characters. Going back to the cache page I clicked on the invintory to look at the coin's page, it's not the same coin, they are nothing alike. There is now web address on the coin I found. How do I log it? What do I do about the coin that was not in the cache? :blink:

So, I found this coin in a cache. The cache invintory listed a coin called "Dad's Coin", not thinking much about it I attemted to enter the coin's tracking code, rejected. The code stamped into the back of the coin is only a 4 digit number no alpha characters. Going back to the cache page I clicked on the invintory to look at the coin's page, it's not the same coin, they are nothing alike. There is now web address on the coin I found. How do I log it? What do I do about the coin that was not in the cache? :blink:

A 4 digit number is not a tracking code from Groundspeak. Is there somewhere "Tracking at geocaching.com" written on the coin? If not it is not a trackable and should be handled like a swag item.

IF it doesn't have trackable at geocaching.com on it and only a 4 digit number it's probably a signature item. Some cachers make coins, keychains or other stuff with their name on it and leave them in caches. If there is no name on it, it might be just another piece of SWAG, just like a toy car. Just a coincidence that the page says there is a coin in the cache-some people don't log trackables properly or maybe someone got the coin just before you did and didn't log it yet.

As stated above not all coins, medallions, tuits, wafers, or metal/glass/ceramic/wooden slugs are geocoins. Many are personal sigitems (signature items) or just trade items (swag). It gets confusing 'coz swag must be traded for with something of equal or greater value but trackables only need to be logged out and moved to another cache with no trade required.

Hi it may be a pathtag, have a look at www.pathtag.com to see if it looks like this type of thing. They look like a supermarket trolly coin tag. Some of them have only four digits.

Regards

Edited by shantz_uk_&_cleverclogs

Hi it may be a pathtag, have a look at www.pathtag.com to see if it looks like this type of thing. They look like a supermarket trolly coin tag. Some of them have only four digits.

Regards

I have several pathtags, I'm regestered on the website but even after reading it I have no idea what to do with them.