Attribute: International

Blutritter

I know there are plenty of suggestions for new attributes, some good, some perhaps superfluous, but this one I would find really helpful (as probably everyone suggesting a new attribute....):

I (=International) , or perhaps ELF (=English as Lingua Franca) or TF (=Tourist friendly):

An attribute that denotes a cache as friendly towards travelling cachers who do not speak the local language. Obviously this would be of little or no significance in GB/USA/other English-speaking countries, but for the travelling cacher this would mean being able to simply filter for caches at a travel location which give their descriptions (and additional hints; in essence all information wanted for finding the cache) in either English, or English in addition to the local language. Again, probably unnecessary for tradis (though perhaps neat if a cache shows a location of particular interest), but nifty for multis and mysteries.

I haven't seen this suggestion before, though I may have overlooked it (if so, my apologies). Any thoughts?

Best,

Blutritter

Edited by Blutritter

There is currently a Tourist Friendly attribute. It looks like this: touristOK-yes.gif , though I haven't seen it used much.

I would not use the tourist friendly attribute for any of my caches even though all of them are available in English (some exclusively in English).

In case of doubt, I'd use tourist friendly only for relatively simple and not very complex caches that don't take too long.

Guided city tours are an exception in many cases, but most of my caches are not urban ones.

Cezanne

I wanted to suggest the same idea (but have used the search before ;)).

So I support Blutritter with his suggstion. But I would make it more specific than tourist friendly or international. I wanted to suggest the Attribute:

En - Cache description in English availibe

To be able to search for such caches when abroad and you're not fluent in the local language would be really helpful.

Edited by Heimdall5008

I wanted to suggest the same idea (but have used the search before ;)).

So I support Blutritter with his suggstion. But I would make it more specific than tourist friendly or international. I wanted to suggest the Attribute:

En - Cache description in English availibe

To be able to search for such caches when abroad and you're not fluent in the local language would be really helpful.

Or even better, a cache owner should be able to flag the languages that their cache (page) includes so that a filter can be applied on the map/PQ to show only caches that include the language(s) I have selected. Otherwise it's a cache page by cache page time consuming search.

I am actually very supportive of the idea brought forward in this thread. Be it an attribute or other unique identifier, it would be great to have such pointer. Having said that it needs to be very clear what the rules are for such "pointer". What language? Listing only? Hint only? Both? etc etc.

An other initiative and experience, read below

In view of the MEGA-Event 2011 in Switzerland I took the initiative to create a bookmark with Swiss Geocaches including an english listing and hint. It comprises closely to 10% of all active Caches.

As this was a private initiative the effort was considerable. And it isn't done at any date, as new geocaches get published, amended or archived.

End of 2012 I discontinued the maintenance as inspite advertisement of the idea both towards the various owners as well as to forums with potential users there was very little feedback.

Who ever feels like taking a look, please follow the links:

Swiss Caches with English Listing (VOL 1)

Swiss Caches with English Listing (VOL 2)

And here one of the marketing ideas for owners to integrate into their profile:

d694958a-867a-4d81-aa3a-34d31b48f0c7.jpg

P.S: Be aware that American Geocachers in general tend to be rather indifferent or negative to this topic as they can geocache on a full continent without any language boundaries. Geocachers in Europe, or internationally travelling cachers (this of course including beforementioned American geocachers) on the other hand tend to understand the issue. I.e. touring Europe on a geocaching venture will quickly confront you with 30 languages or more.

P.S: Be aware that American Geocachers in general tend to be rather indifferent or negative to this topic as they can geocache on a full continent without any language boundaries. Geocachers in Europe, or internationally travelling cachers (this of course including beforementioned American geocachers) on the other hand tend to understand the issue. I.e. touring Europe on a geocaching venture will quickly confront you with 30 languages or more.

Agreed. I am an American cacher but found a cache a few days ago in a country which has 90 individual recognized languages (Ethiopia) and then a few caches a couple of days later in Turkey. In this cases, all of those cache listings were written in English but when I travel I expect that any caches I might try to find will have listings in the countries native language and it just seems rude for me to expect cache owners to provide cache listings in any language other than their native tongue.

Agreed. I am an American cacher but found a cache a few days ago in a country which has 90 individual recognized languages (Ethiopia) and then a few caches a couple of days later in Turkey. In this cases, all of those cache listings were written in English but when I travel I expect that any caches I might try to find will have listings in the countries native language and it just seems rude for me to expect cache owners to provide cache listings in any language other than their native tongue.

Where I live (In France, in Alsace, next to the german border) the issue is a bit different : a few caches are hidden in France by german geocachers with listings in German only ! A bit tricky, isn't it :rolleyes: ?

I wouldn't ask for a listing to always be translated into English (it would seem rude to me too), but wouldn't it be useful if, as funkymunkyzone suggests, owners had to select the language(s) they will use in the listing while filing the form for creating a new cache (particularly for non-traditionnal caches) ? It could be similar to the information you give when you select the country and the area of a newly created cache. If this feature existed, anyone could then filter the caches in a foreign country (or one's own :rolleyes:) according to one's own language skills...what do you think ?

Where I live (In France, in Alsace, next to the german border) the issue is a bit different : a few caches are hidden in France by german geocachers with listings in German only ! A bit tricky, isn't it :rolleyes: ?

I wouldn't ask for a listing to always be translated into English (it would seem rude to me too), but wouldn't it be useful if, as funkymunkyzone suggests, owners had to select the language(s) they will use in the listing while filing the form for creating a new cache (particularly for non-traditionnal caches) ? It could be similar to the information you give when you select the country and the area of a newly created cache. If this feature existed, anyone could then filter the caches in a foreign country (or one's own :rolleyes:) according to one's own language skills...what do you think ?

Yep, agree with both of the above. As a cacher who rather ignorantly can only speak English (well, plus a smidgen of a couple of other languages) I never expect caches to be written up in English when I'm in a non-English speaking country. However, I think this feature would help everyone who ever caches in foreign countries, whether English speaking or not.

Too often I see English speakers arrogantly present this is an English only problem, and I cringe!