Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boydg

Cross-band repeat with ID

Mike (KD9KC), you mentioned in another post that you use your mobile rig to cross-band repeat from your HT to a nearby repeater. One of the problems with this that I see is the ID requirements. Presumably, the environment is such that only your input transmissions will be repeated by your mobile out to the repeater, so your IDs on your HT will cover the ID requirements on that link. OTOH, coming back to the HT, your mobile must have some other mechanism to transmit the required ID.

So, how do you handle this situation? If this capability isn't built into the mobile rig itself, is there some sort of add-on or something which can provide for these ID requirements?

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

sounds like the repeater ID would cover it. should be no problem as long as the x-band unit can't transmit by itself i.e. with noone controlling it.

i can't see any difference between signal going one direction and signal coming back the other direction. the i.d.s are still there on both signals.

just my opinion.

Well, in the case of the Yaesu FT-8900, there is no repeater ID, at least none that I can find in the manual. So if I'm using UHF on my HT and the mobile is crossband repeating to VHF, the only time it would be able to ID with my call is when I'm transmitting through it (on VHF). When it's repeating back to me on UHF, it would never ID with my call.

Maybe I'm being overly technical, but the way I read Part 97, that doesn't meet the requirements for ID'ing every 10 minutes since it would never transmit my call on UHF.

So, am I nuts, or what? What am I missing on crossband repeating from mobiles, 'cause there's gotta be tons of 'em out there.

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

Mike (KD9KC), you mentioned in another post that you use your mobile rig to cross-band repeat from your HT to a nearby repeater. One of the problems with this that I see is the ID requirements. Presumably, the environment is such that only your input transmissions will be repeated by your mobile out to the repeater, so your IDs on your HT will cover the ID requirements on that link. OTOH, coming back to the HT, your mobile must have some other mechanism to transmit the required ID.

KD9KC is the control operator of both units...the cross band unit only operates when he's remote-controling it.

When he gives his call, his ID goes out over both bands, satisfying all ID needs on his end. The station he's communicating with gives their ID as appropriate, and it goes ov er both bands on it's way to the HT as well.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

When he gives his call, his ID goes out over both bands, satisfying all ID needs on his end.

ApK

That's the part I'm hazy on. Is that a feature unique to Mike's Icom (think that's what he's using)? Maybe the manual for my FT-8900 is omitting this information, but while it has a provision for storing your "CW ID" (callsign, obviously), it doesn't explain exactly when it's used.

Many Yaesu rigs have a feature called ARTS (Automatic Range Transponder System) where they communicate briefly with each other to ensure they can still talk to each other, and the alert the user if they've dropped out of range. I've been reading so many manuals lately that they're starting to mix together in my head, but I know I've read that the radio with ID itself every 10 minutes when you're using ARTS. I suppose I could turn on ARTS every time I crossband repeat. If that's necessary, so be it, even if it is a little hokey.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

I think the FCC is a little fuzzy on this issue. I’m not 100% sure of what the difference is between a cross band repeater and a remote base. I run a remote base at the top of the church across the street. I use 440 Mhz to access it and it connects me with a 2 meter repeater 111.2 miles away. The 440 output of the remote base is 5 watts and has a CWID on it and it does require a tone access. The whole system works real well and I can talk to my friends in the next state with my 440 handheld. It is set up on the 440 band to work in the remote base/cross band section. I’ve had a few high ranking club members of some of the clubs around here look at it and they said they found no problems with the setup. The repeater coordinating group that covers our area said also that it does not require any coordination given the way I have it setup. No one told me to put the CWID on the 440 output, I just thought that might be a good idea.

boydg is actually correct. According to the rules (97.119a) each station must transmit its ID. That means the XBR, just like any other repeater, must transmit its ID. Simply saying your ID through the XBR input, expecting the XBR to transmit it on the other band will not satisfy the requirement. The XBR must transmit its ID, and out both bands. So far, I only know of two mobile (or any kind of) rigs that can transmit its ID: the Kenwood TM-V71A and Kenwood TM-D710G. Thanks!