Recommended at night - what does that mean?

tweetiepy

I found a cache today that was recommended at night. I'm envisionning some glowing markers, maybe the cache itself is reflective and can be seen with a flashlight. Nope.

It's park & grab as per someone's remark. - to me this means, you can literally park, grab the cache (because it's obvious where it is even from the car) and leave.

NOT! This was a search all over the place in vain - someone even said they looked up from the GPS and there it was - NOT! GZ was off on my GPS from quite a few meters - usually it's spot on when it says I'm on it. We gave up in the afternoon and returned later when it got darker with a flashlight - no reflective anything anywhere. We did end up finding it but it wasn't what I was expecting at all. Is recommended at night different from one where you MUST search at night?

It does not have to require you to use a flashlight-there are other ways. But try using a flashlight. Is there any mention of reflectors? It may also be the CO's way of saying "Don't come during the day when muggles can see you" A lot of night caches are do-able during the day, though it could raise the difficulty very much. It may also be a way of saying-you can see the great city skyline light up at night, or maybe it was placed around christmas near some neat displays. Without seeing the cache pages or knowing the CO there is no way to tell for sure why it is recommended at night.

By the pics it appears the container may have been changed to another.

- What was easy and a "look up and..." C&D, may now still be at GZ, but with a different hide tecnique.

If it isn't a "night cache", recommended at night means (to me) that muggles abound and you may compromise the location by accessing during the day, or the buildings closed at night and the owner doesn't know it's there.

Both my son and I checked witht the flashlight to see if we could see any reflectors or anything reflective, nothing. I could see it meaning to go there during the day. however, the flashlights, I would think, would be more obvious and noticeable.

I'm hoping to come across one that would lead the way in the dark...

Both my son and I checked witht the flashlight to see if we could see any reflectors or anything reflective, nothing. I could see it meaning to go there during the day. however, the flashlights, I would think, would be more obvious and noticeable.

I'm hoping to come across one that would lead the way in the dark...

Firetacks are (mostly) 3d. So if you are not in front of them, you won't see them. And they are what is called retroreflective-that is the light bounce back straight to the source. If you are using a headlamp or holding your flashlight up by the side of your head you will see the reflector. IF you are holding the light near your waist or at some other angel then the reflector will be dull or may bot even be visible at all.

Also, the tacks are typically in the woods, not in a parking lot.

Keyword here. I have an urban nightcache that has both firetacks and the reflective material on poles/buildings. Starts in a park-goes to a bridge, and then into a parking lot and to the cache from there. like you said-typically-but all it takes is one. It's worth a look.

The way that I see it, "Recommended at Night" and "Night Cache" are two different things. "Night cache" indicates that you can usually only do it when it is dark. Firetacks, reflectors, etc. "Recommended at Night" could be because there are parking restrictions, muggles, or it may take an extended search that can attract attention during the day.

Some older night caches use the "Recommended at Night" and/or "Flashlight Required" attributes, because the "Night Cache" attribute was added relatively recently. But not all night caches use reflectors. And as others have mentioned, caches may be "Recommended at Night" when they aren't really night caches. There may be fewer muggles during the night, or the cache may be in a location that is open to the public at night when most of the other geocaches in the area are in areas that are closed to the public at night.