Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Choberiba

FSR - What channel should we all use?

Guest Choberiba

Popular Wireless has an Infopop web board very similar to this one.

On this board I read the following.

quote:
Originally posted by G. M. Alf:

I've done some Geocaching using a Garmin eMap and whatever FRS or GMRS radio I have handy at the time.

-- snippity snip snip --

I do think it would be a good idea (haven't brought this up yet on the Geocaching site) to designate a particular FRS channel that would be used at each location so that those in the area could meet other Geocachers.

I like the idea of having a set channel for geocaching. Might make it easier to find each other in this great big world of ours.

GMA deserves credit for the idea (or at least this attempt at introducing something that's been brought up before)

Guest Steak N Eggs

That is a very good idea Chobe, but ham radio is MUCH more functional. And it's easier than ever to get your ham radio license.

Yes, I am back.

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com

I gave this some thought after reading the other post on this topic, here's what I came up with...

Whatever channel or frequencies are chosen they should NOT be the main call channel or hailing frequency for that band. (i.e. 2-meter 146.52 Mhz) Those frequencies are designated for initiating contact with another operator. Once contact is established proper procedure dictates that the parties then move to another, un-used frequency to continue their conversation, thereby freeing up the hailing frequency for use by others wishing, or in the case of an emergency, needing to establish contact.

Additionally, other frequencies are often designated as hailing/simplex frequencies in particular geographic regions making the adoption of a National Geocaching Frequency difficult at best.

The same encumbrances hinder the adoption of a Nationwide Citizens Band channel. IMHO, channel 19 would have to be out of the picture completely. Historically, although not officially I believe, channel 19 is for highway/automobile/trucker use. That channel is so crowded in most metropolitan areas it's nearly impossible to carry on any sort of conversation with anyone more that a few hundred yards away for anything more than a minute or two without getting stepped on or trash-mouthed by some yocal with a hopped-up radio, an echo box, and an ego as big as his antenna! CB Channel 9 is also out as it IS the designated emergency frequency for that band and should not be used for casual conversation. Local CB clubs also often adopt specific channels in their area for hailing/monitoring so, again, the adoption of a Nationwide Geocaching CB Channel is impractical as well.

FRS (Family Radio Service) may offer some possibilities for the adoption of a Nationwide Geocaching Channel/PL combination, although again, in any given area there could be conflicts.

That said, my opinion would be to leave the suggestion of a recommended channel or frequency up to the cache hider and indicated on the cache page. i.e. "talk-in on 147.42 Mhz or FRS Channel 5/5 or CB channel 7".

To carry the idea to the next level, a local ham in a given area who has identified, and possibly used specific frequencies on their own caches, could then contact other cache owners in the area and ask them to include the list of suggested frequencies on their cache pages as well, leading to the adoption of appropriate frequencies/channels in a given area for those who wish to utilize them.

I would love to be able to hop out of the truck, dial in a frequency or channel, and hail any other cachers that may be in the area or hunting the same caches. It would add a new dimension to the game, increase the "fun quotient," and offer an opportunity to more easily meet my fellow players. For all the reasons stated above I just think the best way to approach this is from a local level.

I have a cache planned for deployment this Spring and am now considering listing some suggested channels/frequencies on the cache page to see how it goes. It wouuld be great to read a log entry about some cachers who hooked up on the air and worked together to solve/find a multi-leg cache... Hmmm, now I'm starting to get some more ideas!!! icon_cool.gif

Regards,

Tedoca

I gave this some thought after reading the other post on this topic, here's what I came up with...

Whatever channel or frequencies are chosen they should NOT be the main call channel or hailing frequency for that band. (i.e. 2-meter 146.52 Mhz) Those frequencies are designated for initiating contact with another operator. Once contact is established proper procedure dictates that the parties then move to another, un-used frequency to continue their conversation, thereby freeing up the hailing frequency for use by others wishing, or in the case of an emergency, needing to establish contact.

Additionally, other frequencies are often designated as hailing/simplex frequencies in particular geographic regions making the adoption of a National Geocaching Frequency difficult at best.

The same encumbrances hinder the adoption of a Nationwide Citizens Band channel. IMHO, channel 19 would have to be out of the picture completely. Historically, although not officially I believe, channel 19 is for highway/automobile/trucker use. That channel is so crowded in most metropolitan areas it's nearly impossible to carry on any sort of conversation with anyone more that a few hundred yards away for anything more than a minute or two without getting stepped on or trash-mouthed by some yocal with a hopped-up radio, an echo box, and an ego as big as his antenna! CB Channel 9 is also out as it IS the designated emergency frequency for that band and should not be used for casual conversation. Local CB clubs also often adopt specific channels in their area for hailing/monitoring so, again, the adoption of a Nationwide Geocaching CB Channel is impractical as well.

FRS (Family Radio Service) may offer some possibilities for the adoption of a Nationwide Geocaching Channel/PL combination, although again, in any given area there could be conflicts.

That said, my opinion would be to leave the suggestion of a recommended channel or frequency up to the cache hider and indicated on the cache page. i.e. "talk-in on 147.42 Mhz or FRS Channel 5/5 or CB channel 7".

To carry the idea to the next level, a local ham in a given area who has identified, and possibly used specific frequencies on their own caches, could then contact other cache owners in the area and ask them to include the list of suggested frequencies on their cache pages as well, leading to the adoption of appropriate frequencies/channels in a given area for those who wish to utilize them.

I would love to be able to hop out of the truck, dial in a frequency or channel, and hail any other cachers that may be in the area or hunting the same caches. It would add a new dimension to the game, increase the "fun quotient," and offer an opportunity to more easily meet my fellow players. For all the reasons stated above I just think the best way to approach this is from a local level.

I have a cache planned for deployment this Spring and am now considering listing some suggested channels/frequencies on the cache page to see how it goes. It wouuld be great to read a log entry about some cachers who hooked up on the air and worked together to solve/find a multi-leg cache... Hmmm, now I'm starting to get some more ideas!!! icon_cool.gif

Regards,

Tedoca

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

frs-1 cb-19 146.520mhz for calling icon_rolleyes.gif

after contact move to another channell icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, I just don't see the logic behind using the National simplex calling frequency on 2-meters or CB channel 19 for geocaching activity.

First, 99.99% of folks monitoring these frequencies are going to be non-geocachers.

Second, and more importantly, if two geocachers establish contact and then move to another frequency/channel, they are then no longer on the original frequency/channel (unless you set your rig up to monitor both frequencies/channels, which, IMHO, just complicates the whole process far beyond what is necessary)... so that when another cacher comes along there's nobody on the original frequency/channel 'cause you've moved to another one and now they have no idea where you're at.

Why not just suggest a frequency or channel that is seldom used in your area in the body of the cache description page? That way everyone hunting a given cache starts out on, and stays on the same frequency. If there are several caches in the area contact the owners of those caches and ask them to include the suggested frequency or channel number in their cache descriptions as well.

Regards,

Tedoca

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

frs-1 cb-19 146.520mhz for calling icon_rolleyes.gif

after contact move to another channell icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, I just don't see the logic behind using the National simplex calling frequency on 2-meters or CB channel 19 for geocaching activity.

First, 99.99% of folks monitoring these frequencies are going to be non-geocachers.

Second, and more importantly, if two geocachers establish contact and then move to another frequency/channel, they are then no longer on the original frequency/channel (unless you set your rig up to monitor both frequencies/channels, which, IMHO, just complicates the whole process far beyond what is necessary)... so that when another cacher comes along there's nobody on the original frequency/channel 'cause you've moved to another one and now they have no idea where you're at.

Why not just suggest a frequency or channel that is seldom used in your area in the body of the cache description page? That way everyone hunting a given cache starts out on, and stays on the same frequency. If there are several caches in the area contact the owners of those caches and ask them to include the suggested frequency or channel number in their cache descriptions as well.

Regards,

Tedoca

"Steak N Eggs

That is a very good idea Chobe, but ham radio is MUCH more functional. And it's easier than ever to get your ham radio license."

I very much agree, I have friends that, with my help only had to study for a day to get a ham radio licence, and for the freq's, my idea is something like 147.54 or 145.75 or 446.85 or even better a local "not used very much" repeater.

That's "mister" radio to you.

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

That is a very good idea Chobe, but ham radio is MUCH more functional. And it's easier than ever to get your ham radio license.

But FRS can be used by anyone and is plenty functional for communication at a Geocaching site. Equipment cost is minimal. Most HAMs I know have an FRS radio (some have many.)

I would suggest FRS channel 1 no code due to the fact that many sites are somewhat remote.

--------------------

Mike

I'm awaiting my renewal to process and will be back on the air. N3KQB

Would love to make contact with you all in your searches. Baltimore Maryland area.