Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest GPS Green Iguana

Geocaching to get new hams

Guest GPS Green Iguana

I have an idea for people that live in areas where there is a lot of geocaching activity. Make some radio related caches, and place them around. Inside the cache you can leave spare connectors and other radio related stuff that you no longer have any use for. The cache can also be filled with note cards explaining ham radio, and times / days / locations of radio club meetings (or a web address for local ham club activity). I know that FRS is very popular among people who like outdoors activities, I suspect that many people would take up VHF/UHF ham radio once they are informed that the test is very easy to pass.

At the least, it will give people more caches to locate - and it could also result in the positive growth of ham radio!

KF4OUI in Miami, Florida

Guest welch

quote:
Originally posted by GPS Green Iguana:

I have an idea for people that live in areas where there is a lot of geocaching activity. Make some radio related caches, and place them around. Inside the cache you can leave spare connectors and other radio related stuff that you no longer have any use for. The cache can also be filled with note cards explaining ham radio, and times / days / locations of radio club meetings (or a web address for local ham club activity). I know that FRS is very popular among people who like outdoors activities, I suspect that many people would take up VHF/UHF ham radio once they are informed that the test is very easy to pass.

At the least, it will give people more caches to locate - and it could also result in the positive growth of ham radio!

KF4OUI in Miami, Florida

the cachers who go for the hunt will be thrilled that there will be more caches.

the cachers that go for the loot will probly not be pleased to find a cache full of spare transitors...

Guest Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

the cachers who go for the hunt will be thrilled that there will be more caches.

the cachers that go for the loot will probly not be pleased to find a cache full of spare transitors...

Well, if you specify that it is a themed cache, then the finders should have no complaints. I fall into the "go for the hunt" category, but I would love to find a cache with radio/electronic stuff instead of McDonalds toys and keychains.

N2GZG

Guest welch

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

Well, if you specify that it is a themed cache, then the finders should have no complaints. I fall into the "go for the hunt" category, but I would love to find a cache with radio/electronic stuff instead of McDonalds toys and keychains.

N2GZG

i fall into the same category, just wanted to give warning that someone may complain, even if you plainly state this is a theme cache

Guest welch

te:

Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

N2GZG

i fall into the same category, just wanted to give warning that someone may complain, even if you plainly state this is a theme cache

Guest Morseman

One thought I had a few weeks ago was to place caches at radio related sites.

For instance, Poldhu in Cornwall, at or near where some early Amateurs lived or worked. Then mix radio and normal' cache goodies.

I placed a themed cache at Electrickery, but didn't have much to put in it, so put a bit of cable, a 13 amp plug and one or two other bits in until I get back to work. It's hidden near where I work, for a Power Company, and a college for a large Communicactions Co. in the UK.

One person has found it so far, but they didn't seem to mind the lack of goodies.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest GPS Green Iguana

s that they have no use for - so the cost of setting up a cache can be virtualy nothing at all.

Guest GPS Green Iguana

quote:

Go for the "loot??" All the caches I have found so far have only contained junk, except for a music theme cache in town where geocachhers can swap CDs. Of course, some people might consider keychains, rusty railroad spikes, old hats, patches, and dollar bills registered to www.wheresgeorge.com exciting loot - but I think that the vast majority of people are in this for the thrill of the hunt. Making up some radio related caches will be a welcome addition in your area. And if your radio club can pick up just one new member, it is all worth it. Im going to talk with some other hams in town, and create a theme cache with the intent of picking up new hams. Ham radio is after all a hobby the whole family can enjoy (much like geocaching). Geocachers are already into using high tech gadgets for fun and amusement. The hardest part about becomming a ham IS finding a club, and a testing site, in your area. 5x7 note cards can be placed in the cache containing this info. Im even going to put GPS coordinates for the club meeting place on the cards, so finding the meeting spot can be a geocache all in itself, or you can use the convernional street address (the club Im active with meets at the county fire department HQ, so it is very easy to find).

Anyway - its just an idea. Maybe nobody will go to a club meeting. Maybe a high percentage of the geocachers will end up at a meeting. Either way, it is a cheap way to "advertise" the club. Every ham has at least a handful of odds and ends that they have no use for - so the cost of setting up a cache can be virtualy nothing at all.

Guest welch

quote:

Go for the "loot??"

LOL!!

yea i know what you mean, and some ppl have conplained about it.... they are the ones i was giving warning about, maybe theres no one who would visit the cache that will complain.

Guest n1niq

There is a neat little straight key at the Morse Code cache(GC263D) if someone is fast enough to get it.

Chris

Guest kam

if 30 of the 35 "ifs" in that cache apply what are you? my wife just answered "wierd"

KA9RSL

Guest YaesuMan

I would really like to start a meeting type thing on HF where all the geocacher/hams in the country can talk. what do you think???

Guest YaesuMan

quote:
Originally posted by kam:

if 30 of the 35 "ifs" in that cache apply what are you? my wife just answered "wierd"

KA9RSL

I do say! it means your cool. you know it!

Guest YaesuMan

quote:

KF4OUI in Miami, Florida

where I am from alot do use ham while caching.

I ALWAYS am monitoring my favorite repeater and my favorite simplex freq, and my favorite FRS channel, and lots of times I have been talking to local hams and ask where they are and they say "at such and such cache"

Guest YaesuMan

or local ham club activity). I know that FRS is very popular among people who like outdoors activities, I suspect that many people would take up VHF/UHF ham radio once they are informed that the test is very easy to pass.

KF4OUI in Miami, Florida

where I am from alot do use ham while caching.

I ALWAYS am monitoring my favorite repeater and my favorite simplex freq, and my favorite FRS channel, and lots of times I have been talking to local hams and ask where they are and they say "at such and such cache"

Guest YaesuMan

Bytheway, I found out about geocaching on the local ARES repeater! I still remember, I heard KB7M talking about it, he said go to the web-site, I did, and now look! adddiction!

KD7NHN

Guest urbo

cool topic james (green iguana)

lord knows we can come up with some good loot for the techies. theme caches are always cool cuz you know what to bring and you know what to expect. i was thinking of a ham cache near a pig farm (hehe) but the smell is quite a deterrent. the techie junk theme is neat. will take this one seriously and maybe drop a few new caches and retire some of my less popular ones.

dropping some business cards in the caches with local ham club and freq info is a great idea. i will aproach the sffma about that one.

ke4mcl

robert

------------------

"urbo"

robert ke4mcl

Guest RedwoodRed

Steak N Eggs and I put together a presentation for our local Amateur club's January meeting. There is a thread detailing it further back in these topics.

Part of the demonstration was a viable geocache filled with Ham/electronic/tech parts and goodies. The point was to get those local hams with GPS's out looking for something that specifically appealed to them. We gave them until the following meeting to find it and log it, specifying that items in THIS CACHE ONLY weren't for trade, but instead were gifts, and our purpose was to introduce our friends and club members to a corresponding hobby/sport.

Three folks logged it. We picked it up the day of our Feb. meeting and raffled off the remaining items during our monthly 50/50 drawing.

Green Iguana's idea is an excellent one and one that I think we will implement. I like the idea of the 3x5 cards printed with meeting information and the meeting location's coords. Would that be considered an "event cache"? icon_biggrin.gif

I always encourage introducing Hams to Geocaching and Geocaching to Hams! Hey! How would Field Day '02 be for a great event cache?!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Guest RedwoodRed

Steak N Eggs and I put together a presentation for our local Amateur club's January meeting. There is a thread detailing it further back in these topics.

Part of the demonstration was a viable geocache filled with Ham/electronic/tech parts and goodies. The point was to get those local hams with GPS's out looking for something that specifically appealed to them. We gave them until the following meeting to find it and log it, specifying that items in THIS CACHE ONLY weren't for trade, but instead were gifts, and our purpose was to introduce our friends and club members to a corresponding hobby/sport.

Three folks logged it. We picked it up the day of our Feb. meeting and raffled off the remaining items during our monthly 50/50 drawing.

Green Iguana's idea is an excellent one and one that I think we will implement. I like the idea of the 3x5 cards printed with meeting information and the meeting location's coords. Would that be considered an "event cache"? icon_biggrin.gif

I always encourage introducing Hams to Geocaching and Geocaching to Hams! Hey! How would Field Day '02 be for a great event cache?!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

JUST PUTE YOUR CALL, ARRL ETC URL AND FREQ ON THE RULES PAPER icon_rolleyes.gif

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

JUST PUTE YOUR CALL, ARRL ETC URL AND FREQ ON THE RULES PAPER icon_rolleyes.gif

----------------

73s from kd7mxi

TERRA UTAH USA

----------------

146.520 simplex

frs-1 no pl

cb-19 am

-----------------

The next time we schedule a transmitter hunt (AKA "fox hunt"), we're going to create an event cache here with the coordinates to the local meeting place for the fox hunt. They'll be told to gather about 1 hour before the event and when they show up, each geocacher will get to ride around with an experienced ham for the fox hunt, if they'd like to. If not, they'll at least have a little exposure to ham radio and can have any questions answered right there.

Anyway, if you have an active club in your area that does fox hunts, you might want to give this a try. It would be a nice way to combine the two hobbies.

JM-99

(I'm an extra-class licensed ham but decline to give my callsign here because you can learn a little too much information about people if you have their callsign. icon_smile.gif )

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on March 10, 2002 at 10:09 PM.]

The next time we schedule a transmitter hunt (AKA "fox hunt"), we're going to create an event cache here with the coordinates to the local meeting place for the fox hunt. They'll be told to gather about 1 hour before the event and when they show up, each geocacher will get to ride around with an experienced ham for the fox hunt, if they'd like to. If not, they'll at least have a little exposure to ham radio and can have any questions answered right there.

Anyway, if you have an active club in your area that does fox hunts, you might want to give this a try. It would be a nice way to combine the two hobbies.

JM-99

(I'm an extra-class licensed ham but decline to give my callsign here because you can learn a little too much information about people if you have their callsign. icon_smile.gif )

[This message was edited by Jumpmaster on March 10, 2002 at 10:09 PM.]