Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phantom

Geocache and Field Day

Anybody thought of a geocache of any kind for the Field Day coming up on June 22 & 23? Might be a neat way to introduce geocaching and ham radio to some folks.

phantom KB5YUE

"Free your mind" - The Matrix

Set up a virtual cache for your field day site, and give away special QSL cards to geocachers who show up and ask for one to log the cache. You might also take photos of the geocachers, and post the on your website. If you want, you could even have a "logbook" for the event, which is part of both hobbies - a log like hams keep, and log like we use in caches.

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

Sounds like a good idea. Next year at Field Day I'll have one in SJV.

Virual cache? I don't think so. The Ham's will get a kick out of watching the cachers hunt in front of them! Then the cachers can come over and beg for clues and watch the DX work.

Green Achers

I think that having a virtual cache set up at a field day station would be a great idea. I would go one or two steps farther, and make the virtual cache to include a QSO over the radio with a preappointed station, or better yet to see how many contacts, and how far away the geocacher can make. Control op would sign off on one of the station QSL cards as verification, and geocacher would scan and post copy of station QSL card. (host station). I also would suggest that we remember the focus of feild day; That is to promote amatuer radio to newcomers. A virtual geocache would be a great way to do this. I have seen several local posts by geocachers who are interested in carry radios with them for saftey when in remote areas, and also for comms with other geocachers. The more people that can b exposed to amatuer radio is all the better!!!!

IFR GPS aka KF6JWX

I did something like this during a Scout Jamboree.

We had the scouts approch a control operator where they logged their team into the "net" and received a series of waypoints. Each of the waypoints were a surveying stake with a designator like "Alpha", "Bravo", "Charlie", etc written on it. They were not given the designatots, just the heading and distance between waypoints. As they ran the course they collected the waypoints "names". Once they ran the course they approched another control operator and radioed in their finds and logged off the "net". The course was scored by number of correct waypoints found and time to run the course.

Any Ham or Non-Ham Geocacher could score by listening for a special event station posted on Geocaching.com A Ham with a legitimate over-air contact would qualify for a QSL card, and a Geo-find, a Non-Ham could qualify for a find by emailing the freq. the station was heard on, the call of the operator, (not the station call, assuming that would be posted for listening recognition) and what time they heard it.

Any Non-Ham with a SW Rec. could try for it. In turn it will promote Ham Radio and it's abilities. It also allows Hams that were not able to contact the station either by Antenna restrictions, lack of equipment, or just not able to break through the pile-up!

It would give the station operators an idea of how thier station is working by the cord's of the SWL station as well as the contact stations.

I was going to use this idea for a special event station this summer, but the plans fell through, and if anyone else would like to try this idea feel free.. If it's not already taken, if so then I guess it's not my idea!

YellRX Radio

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

mdgeocachinglogosmall.gif