construct a pressure valve cache container

georgiawalker

So the first cache I ever discovered was Breathless in St. Louis Missouri

Breathless

This is the coolest cache container

There is a "valve" in the lid that allows the air to go out when the lid is placed on the bottom

To open the cache you inflate a balloon and release the air from the balloon into the valve which puts air in the container and "raises" the lid.

So I want to honor breathless and build one here in Georgia ...

Sadly when I emailed the cache owner

4PNTRs

They did not respond to my email message asking for help on how to build a cache container like it ...

Someone posted a photo in the field logs on 12/16 so you can see for yourself what it looks like

The problem is when I go into a hardware store to ask for advice on what kind a valve I need I get lots of three headed alien looks.

I have to explain what geocaching is THEN try to explain the container THEN try to get someone to still care enough to want to help me find a valve.

Anyone ??? Ideas??? Help ???

I can't find anything "valvish" anywhere and need some ideas and where to look for one and what to call it.

Thanks

Georgia Walker

So the first cache I ever discovered was Breathless in St. Louis Missouri

Breathless

This is the coolest cache container

There is a "valve" in the lid that allows the air to go out when the lid is placed on the bottom

To open the cache you inflate a balloon and release the air from the balloon into the valve which puts air in the container and "raises" the lid.

So I want to honor breathless and build one here in Georgia ...

Sadly when I emailed the cache owner

4PNTRs

They did not respond to my email message asking for help on how to build a cache container like it ...

Someone posted a photo in the field logs on 12/16 so you can see for yourself what it looks like

The problem is when I go into a hardware store to ask for advice on what kind a valve I need I get lots of three headed alien looks.

I have to explain what geocaching is THEN try to explain the container THEN try to get someone to still care enough to want to help me find a valve.

Anyone ??? Ideas??? Help ???

I can't find anything "valvish" anywhere and need some ideas and where to look for one and what to call it.

Thanks

Georgia Walker

hello I am in Adelaide South Australia, I think the answer to your valve problem may be a one way valve from a fuel tank cap from a motorcross bike. I have one on my suzuki. I would say go to a motorbike shop and tell them you want a breather valve for a fuel cap.

I hope this is helpfull.

...The problem is when I go into a hardware store to ask for advice on what kind a valve I need I get lots of three headed alien looks....

I've seen that look in Walmart many times - recently when I bought about 40 mini calculators for 25 cents each and 2 rolls of camo duck tape and 4 of those orange match boxes.....