etrex 20 wont show geocaches

manxman15

Help!I'm new to this. I have selected a few geocaches, and downloaded to my Etrex 20. The message on my pc says that the geocache has been sent to the Etrex,but there is nothing showing on the gps. Also there is nothing on my Geocaching.com account to show these downloads (should there be?)I have sucessfully downloaded geocaches from the Garmin site. Can anyone help. Thanks

Help!I'm new to this. I have selected a few geocaches, and downloaded to my Etrex 20. The message on my pc says that the geocache has been sent to the Etrex,but there is nothing showing on the gps. Also there is nothing on my Geocaching.com account to show these downloads (should there be?)I have sucessfully downloaded geocaches from the Garmin site. Can anyone help. Thanks

Maybe part of the problem is that you are expecting .GPX files. It is my understanding that basic members can only load .LOC files.

You may be looking for .GPX files, but if what the following says is true, you won't see any.

2.5. Download Cache Information

Basic Members

Basic Members can download cache information in the form of LOC files. This file type contains only general information: the cache listing title, GC Code, and coordinates.

LOC files can be downloaded one at a time from cache listings by clicking the "LOC Waypoint File", located under the cache coordinates.

Up to twenty LOC files can be downloaded from a search results page, after entering in the required CAPTCHA. Check the box to the right of the listings you want, and then check the "Download Waypoints" button at the bottom of the search page.

Cache information can also be printed from each listing.

See the Resources page on Geocaching.com for software options that can help you manage .loc files.

There are a lot of helpful Geocachers on this Forum. I have been accused of not being one of them from time to time. But, there are details missing from your question. You have to offer those details about your process and answer some questions posed by forum participants. That dialog has already been engaged in the post I linked to. Go back over there. Give as much information as you can about EXACTLY what you are doing. Did it ever work for you? Has anything changed? Little details can really help get to the bottom of this problem. Working on it in two different posts is not nearly as helpful.

Identical Post Link

Are the caches you downloaded more than 50 Kms away from where your GPS thinks it is? The Garmin Find It|Geocaches function will only show the caches within a 50 km radius unless you tell it to search by name.

Thanks for all the help. I have now sorted the problem. Strangely I have been able to download by clicking on the cache title and then downloading from that window rather than selecting just the download icon on the right of the initial listing for the cache (even though this process had stated the cache had downloaded.)