Kid friendly caches

I am relatively new to caching and didn't see anything in the forums for my questions, I hope this is a good place to post this. I spent 2 weeks reading and learning what I could before we started. I do not see any icons to show "kid friendly" caches but think that it would be great to have this. I had to read through the description of the hides to see if it had something to trade or something of interest, not just a log to sign. My grand daughter and I went out last weekend and found 4 hides. We took a picture of each of our finds for her scrapbook. I have made 2 nice camo boxes to hide, that have plenty of "kid" trade items, a nice 1st place ribbon-pin for the "FTF", log book and pen. I also added a camera for cachers to take a picture of their group or themselves so she could put it in her scrapbook. Log book and camera in plastic baggie so not to get ruined in this Florida weather. I placed a notice about "Geo Caching" inside the boxes and I know the 2 places these will be placed that are "kid friendly" and of interest to anyone searching. So my questions are: is there an icon, are cameras ok, and did I leave any thing out? Thanks for any responses and recommendations. Dawn "TreasureCoasters"

On the right hand side of each cache page are "Attributes". Not all COs use them but hopefully you can find what you are looking for there.

Cameras are fine, be sure not only to put them in the scrapbook but show them in the cache gallery for all to see! BUT be prepared, the camera may disappear.

Good luck & have fun!!

Edited by Scrabblers

On the right hand side of each cache page are "Attributes". Not all COs use them but hopefully you can find what you are looking for there.

Cameras are fine, be sure not only to put them in the scrapbook but show them in the cache gallery for all to see! BUT be prepared, the camera may disappear.

Good luck & have fun!!

Thanks! Yes, we added the picture of the find to the log. I am hoping they don't but were the cheaper disposables just in case.

There is an attribute for "recommended for kids", whether the CO uses it or not... Attributes, but it could be more for access than whether there's goodies inside.

I see by your finds you're hitting mostly regular size with low diffulty/terrain - a good indicator already that it might be kid friendly and the possibility of trade stuff. Look at the attributes for a better idea.

I agree with Scrabblers, the camera could go missing, but a fun idea anyway.

You can ask if folks would like to take a pic, but they can't be required to.

Looks like you're well-organized and not afraid to ask questions. A good way to start out !

Have fun and cache safe.

There is an attribute for "recommended for kids", whether the CO uses it or not... Attributes, but it could be more for access than whether there's goodies inside.

I see by your finds you're hitting mostly regular size with low diffulty/terrain - a good indicator already that it might be kid friendly and the possibility of trade stuff. Look at the attributes for a better idea.

I agree with Scrabblers, the camera could go missing, but a fun idea anyway.

You can ask if folks would like to take a pic, but they can't be required to.

Looks like you're well-organized and not afraid to ask questions. A good way to start out !

Have fun and cache safe.

Thanks! Yes we are starting with the easy ones so she stays interested before we go for farther and more difficult finds. As for the camera, I wrote on the baggie they could take a picture if they wanted, not mandatory. I hope it doesn't go missing. Also when I post the hide I will note it there as well. The locations are of interest to everyone. Once we are comfortable with caching, I will try some trackables. I don't know who is more excited me or her!

Also look for one-one 1/2 star caches, those tend to be kid friendly, but remember to always look at the attributes!

I supposed it depends on the age of the kid, but a low difficulty rating often indicates an easy find, and often means it's a common type of hide. I would suspect that most LPCs and guard rail caches are rated at 1.5 stars. Not only do kinds like larger caches, but they also like creative caches. My son, who rarely wants to go geocaching, is still talking about the 3 star difficulty, two part multi, that had creative camo job for the final.