Discovering TB's.

*GeoPunx*

I went by one of my Caches today just to do some routine maintenance.

I noticed that someone had dropped a TB in it since the last time I was there.

I am not going to take the TB from the cache. But would like to discover it.

Is it considered ok to discover a TB that was placed in a cache I own?

Brian

*GeoPunx*

Just making sure. I'm still new to this.

And I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking some unspoken protocol.

Thanks!

The other part of the question(not something I intend to do. but I want the info)

If I, as the cache owner, found a TB in a cache of mine during maintenance, and I was able and willing to help the TB on its journey; would that be ok. To retrieve it and move it where it wants to go?

Yes. Help them on their way!

Good to know.

You can even use your cache to drop off TB's you've retrieved from other caches.

I did this already and was pretty sure it was ok to do.

Dropping and Retrieving can be done with a Note log.

This, I wasn't aware of. It's the little things...

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to take any trackable from any cache anytime if you want to help it on its journey.

That being said, I have found at least 2 caches that had trackables that were intended to remain with the cache. Both were fixed to the cache in a way that made removal a nuisance and documented on the cache page.

Also, if you run across a cache (such as a TB Hotel) where the cache owner states that you must only exchange trackables (like only take 1 if you also leave 1) you don't have to follow that either. Sometimes these kinds of caches are called "TB prisons". All trackable owners are happy when you can take their trackable and help it along with its mission.

The other part of the question(not something I intend to do. but I want the info)

If I, as the cache owner, found a TB in a cache of mine during maintenance, and I was able and willing to help the TB on its journey; would that be ok. To retrieve it and move it where it wants to go?

The easiest way to think of it is this: the cache is your property, and everything in it at any given time is in your possession. Everything but the trackables is your property. The trackables are in your care already, so you do get to choose whether to leave them in your cache or move them.

As far as retrieving a TB from a cache I own: I just didn't want to feel like I was depriving someone else of grabbing it.

Since I know right where my own cache is. :)

You asked about Discovering, but as for moving them, my bugs can be picked up by anyone and everyone. As I am the owner you have my permission to move it, regardless.

Edited by BlueDeuce

As the owner of a cache, you're perfectly in your right to log and move the trackables within.

I tend to put trackables in my own caches back after discovering them, since having trackables in your cache can make it more attractive for geocachers who are figuring out which caches to visit on any particular day.

However, if -- for example -- I am almost off on holiday to Italy and I discover a TB in my own caches that wishes to go there, I'd have no qualms about taking it along for the ride.

Think what the owner of the TB would like you to do and you can do little wrong.

I tend to put trackables in my own caches back after discovering them, since having trackables in your cache can make it more attractive for geocachers who are figuring out which caches to visit on any particular day.

This sounds like what I am most likely to start doing.

I just dropped one in there today.

*GeoPunx*