Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boydg

Thanks, Mike

I just wanted to thank Mike, Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC) for his advice and encouragement when I talked to him about Amateur Radio. I took Elements 1, 2 and 3 last Saturday, and got my General ticket today.

Now, if I can just talk the wife into letting me spend a couple thousand on radios and antennas... icon_wink.gif

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - KG4YQS:

I just wanted to thank Mike, Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC) for his advice and encouragement when I talked to him about Amateur Radio. I took Elements 1, 2 and 3 last Saturday, and got my General ticket today.

Now, if I can just talk the wife into letting me spend a couple thousand on radios and antennas... icon_wink.gif

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

You did all the work, and you get all the credit. All I did was type some words at you.

I like the statement below your callsign. I wasn't born in Texas. But I got here as quick as I could!

About the radios... Sometimes it is easier to get forgiveness than it is permission. icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats on a job well done. This is a hobby you can use to the day you die. Unless you die while geocaching.... did anyone else read the pig story? ROTFLMAO!!!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

That's a great way to start - passing the first three elements. There are many, many fun directions to go. The problem is to decide where to start! icon_wink.gif

quote:

Not necessary! I started the same way as you last October. I strongly encourage you to look for some good used stuff. It's out there, and a lot cheaper than buying new. I had good luck with Ebay, QTH.com, and got on a Kenwood reflector. I was also frequently visiting the swap areas on QRZ and Eham a lot also. Lots of good user reviews of all kinds of gear on eham. For less than a thousand, I was able to get a solid Kenwood TS-830 HF rig for home, a Kenwood dual-band mobile, and a Yaesu VX-5R HT for geocaching. The HT was the only item purchased new. Good luck and have fun!

- Wayne KD7SWM

I appreciate the words of encouragement, Wayne. And while I agree that one can save a lot of money picking up used stuff, there are still a few additional considerations:

1) New is always very attractive. It's one of my shortcomings.

2) Even with the savings from buying used equipment, I'm sure I could still easily reach a couple of grand in short order. icon_wink.gif

3) The XYL (being an XYL) absolutely hates it when I spend money on something as insigificant as...me! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

quote:

1) New is always very attractive.

3) The XYL (being an XYL) absolutely hates it when I spend money on something as insigificant as...me! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Wives like toys too, find out what kind and buy some for her. Don't appear to be having so much fun with your toys. Newer, younger, and more attractive are not words that your wife should associate with something that is not her.

Well, stopping short of online marital counseling icon_smile.gif, I'll just say it's just the way life is.

Moving on from money and equipment, my next task is figuring out how to string some dipoles in my attic, along with a VHF/UHF vertical of some sort, and running some conduit down to my basement.

The boss at my last manual labor job (in high school 30 years ago) told me, "Boyd, you could screw up a steel ball with a rubber hammer," so I'm gonna hafta be reeeeeeal careful I don't kill myself or someone else in the process. icon_biggrin.gif

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

quote:

The boss at my last manual labor job (in high school 30 years ago) told me, "Boyd, you could screw up a steel ball with a rubber hammer," so I'm gonna hafta be reeeeeeal careful I don't kill myself in the process. icon_biggrin.gif

Since I was as you say "So Helpful", I think it is only fair that you do this. First, get all your radio equipment bought. Then, since there isn't another ham in the family, name me as the receptor of all your radio gear. Contact me direct to see what radios I need. Then go ahead and do your installation. Start with the high-voltage stuff, so I don't have to wait too long for my radios.

icon_biggrin.gif

It's a JOKE people!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Really, just work slow and pay attention to detail, and ask friends for help. You should be OK. See my web page HERE and see the section on station set-up. It should give you a few ideas.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

...name me as the receptor of all your radio gear.

I'll have my lawyer get right on that, Mike! icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I've looked through your site before, and a review is always good. I'm an avid reader, but turning knowledge into a finished product is a different beast altogether! icon_smile.gif

I'll keep everyone informed of my progress (assuming progress is ever made!).

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

quote:

I just wanted to thank Mike, Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC) for his advice and encouragement when I talked to him about Amateur Radio.

Hear hear! I'm another new ham that Mike has helped out. I just upgraded my one month old license to General. This forum has been one of the most helpful for a new ham. Not only Mike but there have been several whose names I cannot remember. Let's hear it for all the Elmers!

73's to all

KD7UEC

I want to go hiking today. The sun is hot, but my hat won't fit. I just don't understand it.

El Paso, Texas.

Okay, how about this, Mike:

You're ugly and your feet stink. icon_wink.gif

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

quote:

Okay, how about this, Mike:

You're ugly and your feet stink. icon_wink.gif

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

If you had been hiking with me the last two days, you would agree with all of the above and then some. My wife can't do anything about my ugly, but she sure could do something about the rest.

My boots are out on the patio. My socks were burned. I told her to fling them into the cactus garden for fertilizer. That didn't go over.

One other note. If you are going to have a LARGE Great Dane scouting the trails several feet in front of you, DO NOT let him share your bean burritos the night before. Whew!

El Paso, Texas.

Desert_Warrior wrote:

quote:
One other note. If you are going to have a LARGE Great Dane scouting the trails several feet in front of you, DO NOT let him share your bean burritos the night before. Whew!

Even if said Great Dane gives you "dem eyes?" C'mon, you know resistance is futile.

73, Maria KG4JBJ

I'm a beginner just opening the books, and I'll agree there is alot of info on this forum...

Okay Mike, now we're ready to hear about the pig story you mentioned! link if way off topic?

T.

quote:
Originally posted by OddTodd:

Okay Mike, now we're ready to hear about the pig story you mentioned! link if way off topic?

T.

Well, off-topic? dunno... he was geocaching. I guess it is on-topic. No radio involved. Wish he had been on a camera... would have loved to see this one.

I could link to it, but I forgot how to point to a specific log. I could make you look for it. But I am feeling kind today. So I will cut/paste. Sit down, and get a tissue ready for your eyes.

This dude is my kind of geocacher! Read on.

--------------------------------------------

September 29, 2002 by Salvo (Salvo) (291 found)

#153 9/29/2002 @1045hrs -I arrived at the park and was immediately impressed with this jem of a park. The state had gone to some measure to make it a nice place to visit. I found the info boards very informative as I hiked towards the cache.

Along the way, I spied a big box turtle making his way across the path. I briefly thought about picking him up to bring home to my kids, but then thought better of it. 1 turtle, and 11 kids equal an instant fight. Besides there wouldn't be enough of him to go around. Move along little fella...

I get into the general vicinity of the cache, and my GPS starts going bonkers due to tree cover. I line up and get cross bearings from a number of different compass points, and after marching around a bit, and 45 minutes later, I spot the cache and am about to pull the cache when I hear a snap. I come out of my cache find euphoria and look in the direction to see what.. a dog? No.. RAZORBACK!!

He's about 40ft from me. My first thought is the yell ''GIT!'', and I threw my GPS at him (Looking back on that, WHAT was I thinking!), then I threw my Cellular at him, then I threw my green cache bag at him -all missing the pig.

SNORT!!! He's already mad at me for being in his turf, and now he's madder. All I see are tusks, fur, and leaves flying as he charges. I back pedaled around a tree behind me, and this sucker's fast, and can spin on a dime. As I have nothing left to use, my ''fight'' instincts now shifted over to ''flight''. I turned and jumped for this wide tree behind me.

(TIME FREEZE)

Have you ever had this happen to you when you did something really stupid? This happened at this time. As soon as I made contact with the tree, the base of the tree snapped, and down she went. While on the way down... I had plenty of time to reflect on the stupidity of this act, as well as had the thought that this was going to hurt... Seemed like I was falling for 5 minutes.

(TIME Continue)

The tree and I hit the ground together, at which time I took a shot to the jewels from the trunk. As the tree hits, there's a crash, and twigs and sticks are flying. In between the stars and black spots I'm seeing, I hear a loud ''Sqweeeeee!!!'' as the Razorback runs off.

I extracated myself from the tree, and limped around in a daze for a moment. Ow!! I'm mad now, and am about to give out one of those Arnold Schwartzenegger/Preditor War yells, but decide better of it, as it'd probably come out sounding more like a shrill schoolgirl squeal, given my current condition. That'll leave a mark...

I picked up my GPS, Phone, and Bag and walked back out to the paved trail and back to my truck. I'm in shock. Once back at the truck, I realized that I hadn't opened the cache. Hmmm, I'm not going back IN there, not without some Artillary and Heavy Hardware!

A little later in the day, I was exhausted and called my wife to let her know I was on my way back early. I hadn't told her this story. When I got home, she had my dinner ready ..Pork Chops! My wife ...I gotta love her!

Took nothing, but left a bunch of small items that flew out of my bag.

-----------------------------------------------

I am ROTFLMAO again, and I have read this before. What an adventure. And then people ask me why I carry so much gear with me on every hike. WHAT IF?????

And then his DINNER... Squeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

El Paso, Texas.

LOL! I can only imagine what this poor guy was going through. Finally got back to read it!

Been studying for elements 1, 2 and 3.

Thanks for the post Mike!

Todd

I'd just noticed that this thread was running, with my log from the Arkansas Lorance Trail cache from 9/29/2002.

It was early in the caching day for me when that encounter had occurred. Needless to say I was a bit leery about going back into the deep woods for the remainder of the day!

quote:
Originally posted by Salvo:

I'd just noticed that this thread was running, with my log from the Arkansas Lorance Trail cache from 9/29/2002.

It was early in the caching day for me when that encounter had occurred. Needless to say I was a bit leery about going back into the deep woods for the remainder of the day!

So you are the fellow. I envy you. I have not had excitement like that since the first gulf war. I hope you enjoyed your dinner!

Thanks for sharing your story... you have become famous in the ham radio community. We were discussing Geocaching on the air one night, and I read your story. You were the topic for close to 4 days, with plenty of laughs.

Have a great day, and thanks again.

El Paso, Texas.

Salvo,

So did you go back with heavy artillery?

I've never hunted Razorbacks before, but am willing to give it a try!

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

Hey Boyd, El Oso - N5CTI , Congrats on upgrading on ele 1,2,and 3 boy you are taking three rows at a time. A good ole redneck saying. Yes I agree with Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC) about what he said to you, you did the work and took the tests. You get the credit and will come to have the Gps and HT and mobil rig with you just as you do all the normal stuff everday. I dont leave home without my gps,HT,Mobil 50 watt 2mtr rig and I also have a knwood hf rig in my truck. So I feel real comfie with all of that. Now every now and then I use my cell phone. But if you go into the Forest lands or Wildlife Mangt lands you will come in contact with no-service for a cell phone. At lest around here in Mississippi. Again congrats and hope to hear you on the bands soon. Happy Hunting & Happy Hamming

DE WV5V

Continouswave

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

quote:

1) New is always very attractive.

Wives like toys too, find out what kind and buy some for her. Don't appear to be having so much fun with your toys. Newer, younger, and more attractive are not words that your wife should associate with something that is not her.

I agree with Cholo here. I've been into Amateur Radio and GPS's for a couple years now and after buying this and that I realize I've spent about as much on my toys as I have on my girlfriend, who I've been with for over two years. It's not a competition between her and my hobbies and infact she encourages it. We go geocaching together and she likes it when I volunteer at special events doing radio communication. Even my buddies poke fun at me because I'd rather volunteer at the marathon rather than run it with them. I'm also a full-time college student so besides studying, working part-time, and volunteering, I don't have a lot of time to spend with her. Be thankful for your wife because I honestly don't know what I'd do without my girlfriend. She's new, young, attractive, and worth far more than any radio or gps.

- Pat VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Thanks, CW. Coincidentally, I upgraded to Extra at the Berryville, VA, hamfest on Sunday. Now I'm done with the tests, and only have to worry about the things that interest me! icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

She's new, young, attractive, and worth far more than any radio or gps.

Well, everybody and every situation is different. Nuff said. icon_smile.gif

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

Congrats El Oso!!!! Plenty of room for another extra... welcome!

El Paso, Texas.