Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gapper

Handhelds and aircraft avionics

From the standpoint that GPSs are receivers, no. Although since all electronic devices emit some rf radiation it is possible. Many aircraft actually have GPS units as part of their avionics so I don't it would pose much of a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by kg4mrv:

From the standpoint that GPSs are receivers, no. Although since all electronic devices emit some rf radiation it is possible. Many aircraft actually have GPS units as part of their avionics so I don't it would pose much of a problem.

Be careful! It might be OK on American, and other countries, airlines but the ones registered in the UK (and many other European airlines) will ask you to switch off all electronic equipment on take off, and will forbid the use of Amateur Radio, GPS, Mobile Phones and even some computer gear at any time during the flight, even on receive only!

Their arguement goes something like this - The equipment installed on the Aircraft has been tested to make sure it wont interfere, your GPS/Amateur Radio/Mobile Phone/Computer has not been tested to the same level nor in conjunction with their equipment.

The upshot is that you will either be asked to switch it off, or (if the plane has not taken off yet) be removed from the aircraft. If it has taken off, and you make trouble, then they will restrain you and you will be arrested on arrival at the planes desination.

I kid you not! It has happened.

--... ...--

Morseman

US airlines require you to turn off all electronic equipment, at least during takeoff and landing.

Also, in the US the FCC prohibits operation of Amateur Radio in an aircraft without express permission from the pilot. Which a commercial pilot will likely never give.

-----

~ Boyd

Yes, if you're flying on an airline, you should get permission. I was just stating that they would most likely not cause interferance.

Your GPSr does have signals leaking out, and yes, they can interfere with other equipment--especially aircraft navigation equipment if close enough.

Any microprocessor based equipment has a clock that runs at radio frequency. All that digital stuff transmits, unintentionally, a noise signature. That is why they have to be evaluated and type accepted under Part 15 of the FCC rules.

You have seen those stickers on the equipment and notes in the user manual, right?

The vast majority of recievers in use are superheterodyne designs. They mix the recieved signal with a local oscillator signal and extract an intermediate frequency (IF) for further processing. If you see terms like Dual or Triple Conversion, that means multiple IFs and local oscillators. Each of these radiates to some degree.

Ask, specifically, before using a GPS on commercial flights.

For general aviation, use in VFR is fine unless interference is noticable.

For IFR use ONLY the GPS integrated into your certificated system--do not allow a handheld to be turned on in your aircraft unless it is also certified for flight.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

The early 60's through late 80's technology in the C-141B Starlifter was completely unaffected by the operation of my Garmin III+ at the FE station on the flight deck. Doubtful it would be harmful way back in the passenger compartment of a modern commercial jet.

The restrictions are in place because the gadgets makers are far too prolific, they can’t all be tested to ensure they don’t cause interference.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I don't fly much, but when I do, I love to take along my GPS.

After 9-11 I ~specifically~ called DeltaAir, and also read in their in-flight magazine that GPSs were just like any other electronic gadget. Turn off on take-off and landing, otherwise ok.

We never could get that Jumbo to fly past 570 MPH! And boy, do commercial flights rack up the miles on the odometer!

Fun Stuff! icon_biggrin.gif