MapSource & Base Camp on the same pc ?

Or Mapsource for both or Basecamp for both :)

NO!

Do not use MapSource with the Oregon.

Sussamb, you should not be promoting this bad behavior.

MapSource can not properly read/save all data to the Oregon, and attempting to use MapSource with the Oregon will only create problems for the user.

The older GPSMap 60 series and the Oregon use completely different data storage methods, and are not compatible.

MapSource was created for use with older Garmin GPSr, and BaseCamp must be used with newer GPSr, such as the Oregon.

So many issues reported are simply because the wrong application is being used with the wrong GPSr.

Sussamb is correct.

76CSX,Oregon,78S,Montana .....any/all will work with either program.

Depends on what data you're working with and what you want to do with it.

Basecamp is probably less hassle for newer users and the differences between the two are more hassle for older users......

Basecamp started out as a real PITB....but is slowly improving. It's almost to the point now of being worthwhile to occasionally use for a specific purpose, but not often enough to stay familiar.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Well I wouldn't use Mapsource as I can work my way around Basecamp now, but it depends what you're used to and what you want to do with the Oregon. Even the latest nuvis will work with Mapsource, and many people prefer Mapsource to Basecamp. The fact is the Oregon will work with Mapsource.

Sussamb is correct.

76CSX,Oregon,78S,Montana .....any/all will work with either program.

Depends on what data you're working with and what you want to do with it.

Basecamp is probably less hassle for newer users and the differences between the two are more hassle for older users......

Basecamp started out as a real PITB....but is slowly improving. It's almost to the point now of being worthwhile to occasionally use for a specific purpose, but not often enough to stay familiar.

With all due respect, gentlemen, you are both incorrect, and giving out very bad advice.

Some functions of MapSource will work with newer GPS, like the Oregon and Montana, but not all functions work properly.

A little more research right here in these forums will reveal to you the reasons why, as my attempted explanation thus far is landing only on deaf ears.

Read the part...."Depends on what data you're working with and what you want to do with it."

Talk about deaf ears................!

Oh, I read that... But >99% of those reading this thread will not understand nor do they want to understand all the limits involved when using MapSource with newer GPSr devices.

Simply put, BaseCamp is designed for newer GPSr devices beginning with the Colorado, and MapSource is designed for GPSr devices older than the Colorado.

Advising people to use these programs with devices they were never intended for only creates a great many more issues to detract from an overall pleasant experience, and I will not be a party to giving such advice.

Edited by Atlas Cached

I've used mapsource to load maps on my Dakota 20 and haven't had any problems with it.

You can still use mapsource, it just won't do a lot of stuff that basecamp does.

..and the 'stuff' MapSource does will be done improperly.

Example:

MapSource only knows how to read a single GPX file from your GPSr, 'current.gpx'

Older GPSr kept all GPX information (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc) in the 'current.gpx' file, while newer GPSr keep all this information in separate/individual *.gpx files.

Your Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, Montana (etc) keep only the current track log in the 'current.gpx' file.

If you use MapSource to send data to your newer GPSr, it will be added to the current track log file. Clearing or deleting this information on the GPSr may result in a loss of all this information.

If you save a track log, mark a waypoint, or otherwise save/edit information directly on your newer GPSr in the field, the information will not be saved in the 'current.gpx' file, and MapSource will NOT be able to import the information.

If you use MapSource to send maps to your newer GPSr, you may not get all routing and POI information as MapSource is no longer in development and can not read/use all information from newer Garmin maps products.

MapSource can not be used with BirdsEye imagery, nor can you edit information on your GPSr directly from within MapSource.

The list goes on and on.....

I've used mapsource to load maps on my Dakota 20 and haven't had any problems with it.

You can still use mapsource, it just won't do a lot of stuff that basecamp does.

..and the 'stuff' MapSource does will be done improperly.

Example:

MapSource only knows how to read a single GPX file from your GPSr, 'current.gpx'

Older GPSr kept all GPX information (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc) in the 'current.gpx' file, while newer GPSr keep all this information in separate/individual *.gpx files.

Your Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, Montana (etc) keep only the current track log in the 'current.gpx' file.

If you use MapSource to send data to your newer GPSr, it will be added to the current track log file. Clearing or deleting this information on the GPSr may result in a loss of all this information.

If you save a track log, mark a waypoint, or otherwise save/edit information directly on your newer GPSr in the field, the information will not be saved in the 'current.gpx' file, and MapSource will NOT be able to import the information.

If you use MapSource to send maps to your newer GPSr, you may not get all routing and POI information as MapSource is no longer in development and can not read/use all information from newer Garmin maps products.

MapSource can not be used with BirdsEye imagery, nor can you edit information on your GPSr directly from within MapSource.

The list goes on and on.....

OMG !!!!!!! The answer to most of the above insurmountable !! problems!! is one simple thing....

known as Windows Explorer.

Put what you want on your unit where it is supposed to go !

Get what you want to get from your unit from where it actually is ....not from some obsolete location on whatever unit you used to have!

The "list (that) goes on and on" is really VERY VERY short and easily manageable.

Over time I have used more that 20+ different programs to convert data from one type to another, to make data from one program compatible for use in another,etc,etc.

Do you really think that they all work exactly the same? GET REAL !

Mapsource & Basecamp are different programs and work differently, but BOTH WILL WORK .....and that is all that has been said above.

A GPS is supposed to be a thinking person's tool.....based on some of the above posts, there seem to be some people that don't qualify.

OMG !!!!!!! The answer to most of the above insurmountable !! problems!! is one simple thing....

Get what you want to get from your unit from where it actually is ....not from some obsolete location on whatever unit you used to have!

The "list (that) goes on and on" is really VERY VERY short and easily manageable.

Over time I have used more that 20+ different programs to convert data from one type to another, to make data from one program compatible for use in another,etc,etc.

Mapsource & Basecamp are different programs and work differently, but BOTH WILL WORK .....and that is all that has been said above.

A GPS is supposed to be a thinking person's tool.....based on some of the above posts, there seem to be some people that don't qualify.

Thank you for the personal attacks....

To continue to recommend to others that MapSource be used with newer version Garmin GPSr is to be irresponsible at best. Then to suggest someone who points out some potential issues does not qualify as a thinking person is purely counter productive and has no value for others reading this thread, not to mention what it says about your character.

Windows explorer is another option for many of us, but not every user wants to manually manage data in this way. This thread was about BaseCamp and MapSource, and not Windows Exploere, which would not apply for Mac users anyway...

I believe sufficient information has been presented so that users reading this thread will be able to decide for themselves what is best for them.

Thanks for all the help looks like it time to down load base camp and see if i can figure it out

There is a helpful link in my signature to help you sort BaseCamp out :)

BTW, I have been frustrated by BaseCamp for some time, and am learning more about it always.

If you get stuck, ask for help here or at the wiki, we'll do everything we can to help!

Edited by Atlas Cached

Thank you for the personal attacks....

To continue to recommend to others that MapSource be used with newer version Garmin GPSr is to be irresponsible at best. Then to suggest someone who points out some potential issues does not qualify as a thinking person is purely counter productive and has no value for others reading this thread, not to mention what it says about your character.

Windows explorer is another option for many of us, but not every user wants to manually manage data in this way. This thread was about BaseCamp and MapSource, and not Windows Exploere, which would not apply for Mac users anyway...

I believe sufficient information has been presented so that users reading this thread will be able to decide for themselves what is best for them.

I don't believe any of us were specifically recommending mapsource over basecamp, we were just saying that it is posible to use it.

This is going nowhere, mapsource is a discontinued product and YES you can use it, but this doesn't mean it works good with modern gps'es.

It may be discontinued but if you don't have a recent GPS (and I imagine I'm not the only one); you don't have a paperless GPS and therefore don't need satellite views; etc, then MapSource has its advantages.

One of the chief advantages is that it doesn't need MS's .NET framework which in itself is a 200Mb+ download and is constantly appearing in MS's Update Service with bug/secruity fixes.

I agree completely with you and the need for netframework is a dragon, but in my last answer I wrote;

"and YES you can use it, but this doesn't mean it works good with modern gps'es. "

If you have an older gps or you know how to handle copy/paste/windows explorer and that kind of things you're fine, but many people have no clue how this works and for them it's a lot easier to just use Basecamp, because that program will find and show all Gps data on the computer-screen, including the maps something Mapsource doesn't do.