Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FunYet

Can you send CW with a handheld???

Can a VX-5 be used to send Morse code? Does it have the capability to generate continuous tone?

Thanks

I surely can send CW (tone or true CW) on my ICOM IC-W32A.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by FunYet:

Can a VX-5 be used to send Morse code? Does it have the capability to generate continuous tone?

I don't think the VX-5 will send "true" CW - meaning what people normally think of as CW.

However, you can send Morse by keying a practice oscillator and having the VX-5 on transmit standing right by the loudspeaker of the practice oscillator. Another alternative is to take the output of the oscillator, and put it through the microphone input directly. If you do the second option, you will probably need to be able to alter the volume of the practice oscillator to avoid over driving, or overdeviating, and sending a distorted signal.

What I meant by "True" CW is the ability to plug a Morse key directly into the VX-5 and select narrow bandwidth "CW" on the rig. I don't believe that the VX-5 will do that. It's an FM only rig from what I can see of the specification. So, if you transmit in the CW part of either 2M or 70cm you will not be popular because the width of your signal will be as for a normal FM signal and not the nice narrow bandwidth used by a 'proper' CW rig.

Hope that helps?

--... ...--

Morseman

It is true, you can send CW with any handheld. Just key the PTT on and off in code. Yes, the signal will be broad. But not as broad as you might expect unles you add modulation. You can also do it by pressing the PTT and holding it, then tapping the code with your touch-tone pad, if you have one.

I had not considered the bandwidth question, but only the function. In an emergency, I would send the CW if I needed to. They need to find me to fine me, and that would be good enough!

BTW, and I will be showing off my survival skills here. If you were stranded in the desert, and needed help... you could use a length of wire and your car ignition system to send an SOS.

Disconnect both sides of the coil. Cut a short length of wire to ground one side ot the coil. Cut another length of wire long enough to go from the other coil terminal to the battery + side. Connect to the coil, but not the battery. Take the rest of the wire, connect it to the HV output and stretch it out as long and high as possible, but away from the car body.

Now, take the free end of the wire that reaches the battery + terminal, and start tapping out SOS on the + terminal with the wire. Every now and then, send your location. You will be putting out a VERY broadband signal - Someone WILL hear it. Now you got to hope the recognize it for what it is and try to help you.

Yes, it is a desperate means. All depends how desperate you get.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

I surely can send CW (tone or true CW) on my ICOM IC-W32A.

I just went to the USA Icom page, and the only mode that is claimed for the IC-W32A is

Modulation system : variable reactance frequency modulation

That's a wideband mode. From the specification it will be "Max. frequency deviation : ± 5.0 kHz"

Taking the point made a bit further down the thread, it may be 'narrow' but not as narrow as 600Hz to 800Hz - which is typical for a proper CW signal.

It's also wider than even a single sideband transmission.

On the point about using a automobile spark coil. Yes, it would work. After all, that's what the original Marconi transmitting set were. A large spark which gave out a very, very wide frequency range. Also, Marconis original experiments were made using untuned antennas. However, Hertz showed what improvements a resonant antenna would make. Plus, even a 'Marconi' wire used today tends to be tuned even very roughly to the frequency intended to be used.

Now, talking about what you might do in a dire emergency is a bit different from putting out an FM signal on an Amateur Radio band and expecting to be 1. Popular and 2. Make any contacts. HI!

MCW (which is what a tone applied to an FM carier is really called) will work, but you shouldn't confuse it with a 'proper' CW signal. I wouldn't like to try MCW on an Auroral contact, but normal CW will work quite well, even at 3 Watts - I know, 'cos I've done it. icon_razz.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

The question was can you do it. The answer is yes! You most certainly can.

But - should you do it. It isn't exactly proper operating practice, although sending MCW on 2m has gotten a good bit of practice for many a beginner and isn't illegal.

So I guess it all boils down to the definition of the word CAN. Some might not think it is proper. But it certainly is possible, proper or not.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
The question was can you do it. The answer is yes! You most certainly can.

But - should you do it. It isn't exactly proper operating practice, although sending MCW on 2m has gotten a good bit of practice for many a beginner and isn't illegal.

So I guess it all boils down to the definition of the word CAN. Some might not think it is proper. But it certainly is possible, proper or not.

Oh, yes you can do it, and in the UK (where Bandplans are only suggested operating practice and not part of the licence) you could, in theory, use an FM transmitter in the CW end of the band.

As I say, it would not be popular, and in the USA it might even be illegal, but others would know more about that than a simple G0 icon_wink.gif

Over here, untill the licence was changed, a "no Code" licencee (Licence class B as was) could not use CW (even MCW) on any band at all. That changed, over here, a number of years ago. 1st with a Notice of Variation (which I'm pleased to say I had and was amongst the first UK Amateurs to use Morse Code on an Amateur Band without having had to pass a test to do so. Possibly a fairly obscure claim to fame, but there we are. HI!) Then with the inclusion of CW for all "no code" class B licence holders.

I admit that I hold an "All Bands, All Modes" licence now, but my main interest has been using CW on VHF and UHF (HF is too noisy and far too overcrowded for serious weak signal working - In my experience. HI!)

OK - So back to Geocaching - Honest. icon_rolleyes.gif

The thing with Geocaching is that there's always the oportunity to combine Amateur Radio with getting out in the fresh air. All those Geocachers are SWLs on Microwaves, but they don't know it. icon_biggrin.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

The thing with Geocaching is that there's always the oportunity to combine Amateur Radio with getting out in the fresh air. All those Geocachers are SWLs on Microwaves, but they don't know it. icon_biggrin.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

Click on my name above the avatar, then click on the photo of me and my dog. You should see the large version. You can clearly see my radio, gain antenna, and remote-control mic over my shoulder. The dog's callsign is K9DOG. icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.