GC12, GC16 & GC17

Toa Norik

Hi there.

Greetings from a cold Sweden.

Me and some friends have plans to log some old caches in Oregon. My question to you who lives there is: How long time do we need for GC12, GC16 and GC17. As I can see GC12 and GC17 are pretty close to each other, but GC16 is little further away.

Is it possible to log these three in one day?

How close can we come with car? (to all three)

How long time needed for walking from parking-spot to caches? (normal walking speed)

Almost forgot... We will do this in August, so I guess that snow is not an issue.

Greetings from Toa Norik, Swedish Reviewer

How long time needed for walking from parking-spot to caches? (normal walking speed)

I live fairly close to the area and am embarrassed to say I have only went after GC12. It's a mile from where the road is blocked to the cache, I hope this helps. I don't recall how long it took to walk to the cache and back, probly around an hour?

Edited by Pontoffel Pock

As far as a minimum time goes, we do not know because we parked between GC12 and GC17, which added some distance for GC12. We also had a little snow to deal with, so our time estimates would not be that great.

I bet you could do all 3 in a day though, especially if you chose the best access point for GC12, which we did not.

As far as a minimum time goes, we do not know because we parked between GC12 and GC17, which added some distance for GC12. We also had a little snow to deal with, so our time estimates would not be that great.

I bet you could do all 3 in a day though, especially if you chose the best access point for GC12, which we did not.

Yes, all three caches can be done in one day. We parked between GC12 and GC17, at the quarry, and hiked to both in about 2 hours. The trek to GC17 is gorgeous, with a great view of Mt Hood. Then we drove down to GC16, and we would've done that one too, except one of us had to get back to Seattle before it got too late, so we decided we were out of time. I think the hike would have been less than an hour there, too.

Edited by hydnsek

I have a couple of suggestions for GC12 and GC17 that may be helpful.

If you have a compatible GPS I'd recommend downloading Northwest Trails or Northwest Topo maps. See this thread for more info.

The description for GC17 has some good driving directions for getting to the parking area. Following the auto routing on your GPS can lead to trouble.

I did GC12 and 17 in June and there was quite a bit of snow on the upper part of the trail to GC17. The round trip hike is around 7 miles with about 1350' of elevation gain. It took me around 3.5 hours including searching for the caches, taking pictures and a one wrong turn.

I did all three in one day. When I did it, I was able to drive up to gc12 but base of what I read on logs, they cut off the road or something and now you are force to hike to it. GC17 is my all time favorite. When I did it, I parked at the rock quarry since all the other roads were blocked off. Its somewhat a steep hike out of the rock quarry(wildcat mountain trailhead). You can park at the quarry for both GC12 and GC17 since its the same trail but its a longer hike to gc12. You can park at N 45 18.593 W 122 04.513 for gc12 which its along the same road to the quarry.

I have to agree not to use the auto routing for GC12 and GC17. I used the auto routing when I was up there and wasted alot of time.