Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MeanderingMs

Discovered Travel Bug

I am still new to geocaching and had to retrrieve a travel bug that I had placed in a cache. Since I have retrieved it and not placed it again, I keep getting all this notifications that my travel bug has been discovered. What does this mean? Where is everyone getting my information. I love geocaching but am confused as to how everyone seems to be discovering my travel bug. Is there any significance for them to discover it ? Thanks so much !! :unsure:

The tracking number of your Florida State Plate Tag is clearly visible in the photo you posted as part of its description. My guess is that people are using that tracking number to post "Discovered" logs for it.

Normally, "Discovered" logs mean that someone saw a trackable somewhere, but didn't take it. For example, people have "Discovered" my trackable walking stick at events, but they don't "Grab" it because I keep it with me.

Good Grief. The thing was released a little over a month ago and the number makes the rounds. I think we are dealing with more than just a photo.

Tried an experiment. Saw it clearly on your profile page. Logged a 'discovered' just to see if it was the number and it was it.

If you don't want to have people 'discover it' then hide the tracking number or change the picture.

I am reluctant to move this topic to the appropriate forum otherwise, you will get TONS of discovered logs until you have a chance to update the photo.

Mark Case

Education Forum Moderator

The appropriate forum has a pinned thread stating not to post the number online.

That won't address what is clearly a chronic problem.

Thank You Markcase. I will try and delete the picture and post one with the rider in front of the travel bug so as not to reveal the number. I will take care of it BlueDeuce...Sorry. :(