Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FullOn

New Ham

After getting some new FRS/GMRS radios and the licensing for the GMRS, I decided to check out what else could be done with amateur radio and after reading the forums here, went ahead and got my Tech license.

I just got my callsign from the FCC - KG6OKQ. I'm still looking for a good beginning radio though. More than likely, I'd be using mostly while in the car, but I'd also like to be able to take one hiking. The only radio I've looked at so far has been the Yaesu VX-5R. I like the size and the fact that you can do the freeband mod on it fairly easily. Is a handheld a go way to go here, or should I be looking for a mobile? Any suggestions out there?

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

Iv'e been a ham since Feb this year and I still only use my Yaesu vx-150. It has been a great radio. I installed a permanent 5/8 wave Larsen antenna on the roof of my Honda and installed and slightly modified a cupholder on the console just behind the gearshift that holds the radio just perfectly and although I usually just power it with 1800mah nimh batteries I also have the cig lighter adapter as backup. I also got a good speaker/mic after wasting my money on a cheap one first. I got complaints about the sound quality from the cheap one so I got a good one and also got a good MFJ telescoping antenna to use while hiking. It is way way way better than the rubber duck antenna that comes with the radio.

Try the handheld for a while and If you feel like you want a more permanent mobile unit later, then go for it. Welcome to ham radio, it's a lot a fun.

Poindexter,

N3EF

You can find small amps that will take the 5 watts and pump it up to 25. I had one of these in the car with a 5/8 on the roof. Worked very good.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

I haven't heard of the linier amps before, can you explain them a little more? Thanks for the repsonses.

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

I haven't heard of the linier amps before, can you explain them a little more? Thanks for the repsonses.

I think he means 'linear'. It amplifies your transmitting power. In some circles it's known as a 'kicker'. I went to QRZ.com and found your ham info. A good handle for you would be Dicker. FullOn would say that you are using a kicker. I suggest that you go 'barefoot' for awhile. You'll learn alot by listening to more experinced hams.

Hey Fullon ,congrats on getting ur new tech ticket. Check with the people that helped u get ur ham license, they can offer a good sense of radio's and also tell u how the one the operate work. Cholo do u have a ham license ??? you sure know alot about it!!!If you dont you need to go get u ticket and get on the air. Fullon there are alot of good radio on the market, i have 4 mobile radio, I have a Icom , Kenwood, and a ADI , I run the adi in the truck along with my kenwood HF radio mobile. the ADI is a good radio and output is 50watts,, Our repeaters are spread out here in the south, so You better have a alot of power and a good ant. I run a 5/8 wave Larsen on my truck. i use the 12v acc plug and i have no problems with it. the HF radio is a 100 watt std. hf radio. Check with your local hams in your area and they will help you. If you are in your car/truck alot then you better get a good dependable radio and antenna,

good luck and keep upgrading your license

Happy Hunting

vry 73's --... ...--

-.. . .-- ...- ..... ...-

wv5v

Mississippi

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

I just got my callsign from the FCC - KG6OKQ. I'm still looking for a good beginning radio though. More than likely, I'd be using mostly while in the car, but I'd also like to be able to take one hiking. The only radio I've looked at so far has been the Yaesu VX-5R. I like the size and the fact that you can do the freeband mod on it fairly easily. Is a handheld a go way to go here, or should I be looking for a mobile? Any suggestions out there?

Might I suggest you look at three threads on here. That are called WHAT DO YOU USE, WHAT DO YOU USE PT-II, and WHAT DO YOU USE PT-III

In these three threads some of the Geocachers have described the stations and accessories they use on the air. Please pay attemtion to the functionality of each unit. If you will be using a handheld while geocaching, you may want to review what I have done to my ICOM IC-W32A to allow me to go over 24 hours on one battery pack. You may also want to review THIS THREAD about what frequencies to use while caching. There is something called a "Wilderness Protocol" that you might like to know about.

All of that said, let me mention that I do most of my own radio maintenance. Over time I have discovered that dealing with Yaesu is sometimes less than fun. They do try, and eventually it gets done right. Kenwood has gotten so bad I will not own a Kenwood, and will nor repair them for friends. Yeah, that bad. Nearly everything I have for ham radio is now ICOM. They are not perfect either, but far above the other two major manufacturers.

You will need to decide what is best for you. Look at what you want the radio for. Then look at $$$, use, and your view of the company's reliability.

Hope this helps.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Here's some information I wish I'd had, and fully appreciated, before I bought my first HT:

quote:
The most recent purchases are for my ICOM IC-W32A handheld radio.

The first was an ICOM HM-75 handheld microphone. It is a speaker-mic, and has 6 switches on it. One is a PTT, and one is a button-lock. The other 4 select which band is in which place, high or low band, VFO or memory, mem channel up or down, or VFO freq up or down. This allows me to hang the handheld on my backpack, and pull the mic over my shoulder. I can operate nearly every function I need while on the move, so much more convenient.

This is from Mike/Desert Warrior, and I've discovered that, while I have a speaker/mic which makes my VX-5R more useful while it's attached to my backpack, the ability to manipulate its controls without having to access the HT itself would be a tremendous boon.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Congrats on the new ticket!

I would talk about the radios I run but I've been a ham for over 26 years and most of the radios I run are older than I am. icon_eek.gif

Besides boatanchors, I do have a FT-847 less than a year old that I use for satellites.

quote:
Originally posted by El Oso - N5CTI:

Here's some information I wish I'd had, and fully appreciated, before I bought my first HT:

This is from Mike/Desert Warrior, and I've discovered that, while I have a speaker/mic which makes my VX-5R more useful while it's attached to my backpack, the ability to manipulate its controls without having to access the HT itself would be a tremendous boon.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

In simplest terms, I decreased battery consumption by 70%, increased battery capacity by 285%, and (I estimate) increased ERP by at least 4%, but possibly as much as 208%. It all depends on what you believe the loss in the stock antenna is. I have no way to measure it.

I used to go 4 to 5 hours on one battery. My estimate now is that I could get as much as 47 hours out of one battery pack, and I would be heard ever so slightly better than I was with the stock radio.

Adding the remote control mic was the final peice to make it perfect for hiking. It is truly the finest HT I have ever hiked with. And I have owned a bunch in 25 years. Anybody ever see a Motorola HT-220?

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by continouswave:

Cholo do u have a ham license ??? you sure know alot about it!!!If you dont you need to go get u ticket and get on the air. -.. . .-- ...-

wv5v

Mississippi

No ticket, I know just enough about this stuff to be semi-dangerous. If I took myself seriously, that would be dangerous. icon_biggrin.gif

I have a VX-5R and my wife has the VX-7R; both are great radios, and I would like to upgrade to the 7R sometime soon. I would miss the 5R somewhat because it is such a simple radio to use, maybe because I have become more accustomed to it. Both are easily programmable using commercial (ADMS) or freeware/shareware programs.

Handheld radios are great because of their portability, but they obviously have less transmitter power. Most receive about as well as the regular "mobile" radios, though. With the handheld, you may occasionally hear a distant repeater (most repeaters transmit with higher power), but not have enough transmitter power to access it. Also consider that most newer handhelds have more receiver sensitivity than many repeaters. The good news is that repeaters that are closer and/or within line of sight are not a problem either way.

I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over.

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

No ticket, I know just enough about this stuff to be semi-dangerous. If I took myself seriously, that would be dangerous. icon_biggrin.gif

What utter B.S. You can do it. I know of a 5 year old kid who did it. Not sure he understood it, but he passed the test....

Look here:

American Radio Relay League.

Look at the yellow tab labeled LICENSING. Read, study, and feel free to E-mail me direct with any questions you have, or bring them here for a group answer. We all began somewhere. We will not laugh at you. Well, giggle a little maybe....

The longest journey starts with the first step. Your first step is the link above. We will wait for your questions. Good luck.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

What utter B.S. You can do it.

El Paso, Texas.

Well Miguel, I know better than to argue with a Texan on that subject. The truth is if I wanted a ham license, I would get one. I have no bad opinions about hams. I just don't care to make chit chat on the radio, but I do enjoy listening to it. Back in the 70's I had a CB license, I think it was KCC3395, or something like that. I could never get into that CB jargon. Never once did I utter, "ten-four". My wife is another story. She was once a dispatcher for a school bus company and I've heard her hold conversations on a regular and cell phone at the same time.

This brings me to something I've wanted to ask here for some time, but I'm going to start a thread on it, for better exposure. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

What utter B.S. You can do it.

Well Miguel, I know better than to argue with a Texan on that subject. The truth is if I wanted a ham license, I would get one. icon_biggrin.gif

Good enough, and no hard feelings. I have always said ham was not a hobby for everyone. I myself enjoy the technical part way more than the chat. Let us know if you change your mind, we can still help. and we will still giggle a little!!! icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.