Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FunYet

What does MARS/CAP mean???

I've run across a couple of web sites dedicated to the Yaesu VX-5R that describe procedures for "MARS/CAP Modifications". What does this mean? Does it give the unit a wider range of broadcasting frequencies?

Thanks

"This forum does not allow messages to be deleted." Even if you are dumb enough to hit "" instead of EDIT--TWICE!

[This message was edited by Dave_W6DPS on March 19, 2003 at 11:38 PM.]

This forum does not allow messages to be deleted.

[This message was edited by Dave_W6DPS on March 19, 2003 at 11:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave_W6DPS on March 19, 2003 at 11:36 PM.]

MARS is the Military Affiliate Radio Service. They use HF and VHF frequencies near ham band to forward personal messages to/from military personnel. Very useful during major mobilization like we are seeing now.

CAP is Civil Air Patrol. Part youth group and part domestic search and rescue auxiliary for the Air Force. They also use frequencies near ham band, and ham volunteers, to coordinate search activities and relay messsages.

The mods you referred to are only authorized for those formally affiliated with one or the other organization, and the frequencies are for official use only.

If you have time to volunteer, these organizations could probably use the help. Hams have a long history of volunteering to help these folks with their communications needs.

By the way, if you are thinking of buying a VX-5R, I am very happy with mine, and so is my wife. Infact there are 7 or 8 of them in our boy scout troop, and they so far as I know everyone is very happy with them.

I personally haven't made any mods to mine. I don't like fooling around with somehting that works well.

73's de Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

If you're uncomfortable with the idea of adding or removing solder points inside your VX-5, you can make the mods via software, too. Check out EVE software if you're interested.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

If you are considering joining MARS, the organization is not what it originally was. Once upon a time, MARS operators belonged to a branch of service, such as Army MARS, Air Force MARS, or Navy/Marine Corps MARS. The mission was to provide auxillery communications for that branch of service. This included health and welfare for the soldiers. MARSGRAMS and PHONE PATCHES. I have provided both, and from both ends of the action.

Army MARS has in my opinion mutated. So much so that after 25+ years of ACTIVE MARS SERVICE, I resigned on 31 January 2003. There is no longer any pretence of support for the soldier. It was once Military Affiliate Radio Service. Now it is MUTATED Affiliate Radio Service. If you join, you will be expectide to provide communications for a number of FEDERAL agencies, but none of them the soldier in the foxhole.

My opinion, skip the hassles of MARS membership. You would do better to join a local service to better help your area of the country more directly. MARS is no longer what it was. How very sad!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

If you are considering joining MARS, the organization is not what it originally was. Once upon a time, MARS operators belonged to a branch of service, such as Army MARS, Air Force MARS, or Navy/Marine Corps MARS.

For the Navy, at least, military units can still affiliate with MARS. I found out about them when I saw their building down at NWS York Cheatam Annex. I've been trying to get some command support for our unit, since MARS seemed like it would be a great adjuct to our primary communications mission, but it's not going anywhere. I may look into to it as an individual, too, but I really don't need another hobby.