I found a discarded geocache that was rifled through and dumped in a city park in Esquimalt

MalcolmX86

Is there anything left that would identify which geocache it was? A label with a GC code (e.g., GC123AB) would be ideal, but I once identified an abandoned geocache by deciphering a few names and dates, and then looking up which geocaches those people found on those dates.

Is there anything left that would identify which geocache it was? A label with a GC code (e.g., GC123AB) would be ideal, but I once identified an abandoned geocache by deciphering a few names and dates, and then looking up which geocaches those people found on those dates.

There is a picture of a heron inside and the log book says "THE HERON PARCHMENTS By BK'5 TEAM"

Unfortunately , all that remains are the log book , a slip of paper about geocaching , the plastic box (painted green for camouflage) with the heron picture attached to the inside , a couple of maps of places about 20 miles away , a pencil , a pen and a soggy package of sugar substitute . the cache was opened and exposed to the elements when it was raining for days .

The trinkets (if any) seem to be missing .

Edited by MalcolmX86

I find that this is happening more and more :mad:

The location is frequented by all sorts of people who visit the waterfront . That spot is maybe too close to the park areas that are frequented often . Maybe it needs to be moved a small distance away so it is a bit more out of reach ?

Edited by MalcolmX86

HELP!!! :unsure:

I seem to have posted a spoiler here in the title of this thread , and I can't seem to edit the title or delete the original post .

Anyway - The post has served its purpose and I am in contact with the BK'S team . Thank you all who have helped me figure out what to do with this geocache .

Edited by MalcolmX86

What park did you find it in? :ph34r:

It's probably best that this information not be revealed. For all we know, the OP found it near where it's supposed to be and this could spoil it. The cache has already been fixed anyway.

I looked at the cache page and there's not anything here that isn't available on the cache page.

It's probably best that this information not be revealed. For all we know, the OP found it near where it's supposed to be and this could spoil it. The cache has already been fixed anyway.

I looked at the cache page and there's not anything here that isn't available on the cache page.

Then why did I just read all this??? :lol:

:laughing: Can't blame me for trying. :P

I was told I couldn't rightfully log my find because I had not solved the puzzle .

I was told I couldn't rightfully log my find because I had not solved the puzzle .

By who? Saying that someone must solve a puzzle before they can log a find is called an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) and is not allowed. If someone deletes a log on this basis, you can appeal to Groundspeak to have it reinstated and locked so it can't be deleted again. You rightfully found the cache, so you're most definitely entitled to log it as a find.

By who? Saying that someone must solve a puzzle before they can log a find is called an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) and is not allowed. If someone deletes a log on this basis, you can appeal to Groundspeak to have it reinstated and locked so it can't be deleted again. You rightfully found the cache, so you're most definitely entitled to log it as a find.

It's a puzzle cache. Finding it by accident, while technically a find, isn't a find as intended by the method intended by the CO. It's kind of "cheating" to log it, in my opinion.

I agree. If I found it, I probably would have logged it also.

- This guy helped the CO with a hide that was ransacked and joined this site for info to help.

Seems kinda lame to not allow him to log it.

Edited by cerberus1

It's a puzzle cache. Finding it by accident, while technically a find, isn't a find as intended by the method intended by the CO. It's kind of "cheating" to log it, in my opinion.

While some people may not personally like the idea of finding a puzzle final without solving the puzzle, a CO is forbidden from deleting a log on this basis. If the OP found the cache and signed the log, they are allowed to log it as a find and the CO can't delete that find.

http://goo.gl/P57dg

I found this "HERON PARCHMENTS" cache , and there seems to be some controversy as to whether I should be allowed to log this as a find or not .

:drama:

I agree. If I found it, I probably would have logged it also.

- This guy helped the CO with a hide that was ransacked and joined this site for info to help.

Seems kinda lame to not allow him to log it.

While some people may not personally like the idea of finding a puzzle final without solving the puzzle, a CO is forbidden from deleting a log on this basis. If the OP found the cache and signed the log, they are allowed to log it as a find and the CO can't delete that find.

As long as you sign the physical logbook, you can log it online.

You may want to ask before copying people's posts and putting on the cache page. Some people may not be comfortable with this.

Silliness. If you don't want your posts online, don't post them :rolleyes:

This is your first post in this thread. I think you should butt out.

Meh, whatever.

The puzzle owner in question should either be happy that somebody found their ruined cache (presumed), or they need to do a better job maintaining their cache. Either way, if your signature is on the log, you found it and the CO can not choose to delete it because you didn't find it the way they intended.

Does this fill my number of posts required to post an opinion quota? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Meh, whatever.

The puzzle owner in question should either be happy that somebody found their ruined cache (presumed), or they need to do a better job maintaining their cache. Either way, if your signature is on the log, you found it and the CO can not choose to delete it because you didn't find it the way they intended.

Does this fill my number of posts required to post an opinion quota? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It seems people can do things regardless of what any of us think .

http://goo.gl/P57dg

I logged 3 times and the two times I logged it as a find , they were deleted .