Any Lone Geocachers?

jammyjake

Hey I'm 14, almost 15 and have just started geocaching!... alone...

Being a teen male my friends would find this hobby a bit 'queer' and so I've decided against telling them about it.

How does anyone else cope with doing this alone, or better yet, how can I get my family involved?

I've done most of my geocaching alone. When I go on group geocaching trips, they're usually ones that have been organized in our local forums. We have a fairly strong local geocaching community.

Sometimes I go geocaching with the kids from church (and the other adult leaders). Usually, we've planned a hike as part of a camping trip or a day trip, and geocaching helps structure the hike with a few specific destinations and something to do at those destinations.

For the most part, my family isn't interested in geocaching. But some of them are interested in going on hikes with me, or going interesting places with me. So sometimes I just stop and do a little geocaching, as long as it doesn't delay everyone else too much.

I go with my dog. I prefer lone caching. I get to decide where I go, when I go and how many caches I want to look for. If I want to cache from sunrise to sunset I can (assuming I have the day all to myself). When I'm caching with someone I rarely get to spend the amount of time I want to at the cache - reading through the logbook, thinking up a log (writing more then my trailname), looking through the swag, deciding to trade or not, looking through my swag bag for an item to leave, taking photos. Caching alone is great. But as a 14 year old, you'll probably want to go with an adult or a friend or a sibling.

I also do most of my caching alone, but I'm 44 and have a lot of hiking/camping/outdoors experience. I love geocaching solo - I go for whatever caches I want, at my pace, and find the experience almost therapeutic at times. It certainly helps me take my mind off real life for a while. But that being said, some of my most memorable and fun times caching have been with partners -- either other cachers I've met over the years, or with my two sons, who also enjoy caching while hiking, skiing or simply walking around in town.

I have a couple of recommendations for you, for whatever they're worth. Be careful and play it smart while out by yourself; always carry a cell phone and make sure somebody knows where you're going and when you plan to return. Secondly, as others have said, go to some events and meet some other cachers who might want to join forces with you from time to time. Lastly, people in groups tend to think alike, but when you get them by themselves, you might find they think differently about things. Maybe try it with one or another of your friends -- somebody who you think would get a kick out of it -- and you might just find a great caching partner in somebody you already know. Start him/her out on some kind of really interesting cache, maybe something with a fun puzzle, some interesting spots on a multi, or a nice hike with a cache as a reward. A lamppost-lifter probably wouldn't do anything to turn somebody into a cacher, but a great experience with one or two really cool caches probably would.

I normally cache on my own but I do like to have company. I tried to get friends interested in it but they don't want to cache. They will happily go for a walk with me though. Took family dog once and he was a nightmare to cache with so not doing that again (he's a very young active huskamute) I just like to talk to someone while walking between caches.

We started geocaching as a family activity. The others soon became less thrilled with it than I did. Now I prefer having the caches all to myself at my own sluggish pace. I really look forward to my time alone. The only time I'm insisting my parter come along to help is when we do the ET power trail in a month or two. Too much for one person to do all the driving, all the jumping and all the record-keeping. Cache your own cache!

I generally cache by myself with my 2 dogs. They are Labs and are great caching companions and I don't feel vulnerable, as a lone female, hiking trails by myself!

That being said, I would definitely find an event that you could hopefully attend with your family, or alone if nothing else. Also, I would go after the caches that are easy to hike to from your house. I think if you found one friend who has similar interests as you, they would enjoy doing it also. Do you have any siblings that you could get to go along?

I cache alone most of the time. Most of the cachers around here have most of the area found. So It'd be pretty boring for them to go. I'm not usually comfortable around people I don't know so going with new cacher is out of the question. Sometimes I go with my cousins or co-workers to show them what it's all about, other than that is usually alone. I don't mind it. I find what I want, how many I want. I can decide I'm going for lunch, or to a friends, can go out late as I want. Much easier not having to worry about others, as I'm on a different schedule then they are as well. Although Sometimes an extra set of eyes is a great help.

<------Loner

I've definitely got a loner personality so, not surprisingly, I prefer to cache alone. I like controlling my own schedule and stuff. I'm stubborn and selfish like that and with a second person I have to 'give and take', which I'm not very good at yet. I'm trying to learn to be less self-centered and more social though.

I have ample oppurtunity to cache with other people if I want to. I've cached with other people on group hikes when I needed hiking experience and was afraid to go it alone. Every so often my brother will insist on coming with me because he has started to like hiking. I've hiked/cached with my dad once. If I wanted to cache with other people more, I would tout the bonding oppurtunity and health benefits to my family. I'd also start calling (or emailing) people who have given me their phone numbers over the years at events and stuff and plan something.

I think I've always had some shame about being a loner, because 'loner' is used as a derogatory term, and "if you're a loner then something is wrong with you", and people have told me it's not a good trait to have. I used to always blame my aloneness on my non traditional work schedule, but inside I prefer it because it affords me the oppurtunity to be the loner I am. Today, I just recognize my lonerness as who I am, and all I need to be is just me. So I'm more comfortable with it than I used to be.

#foreveralone

Being a teen male my friends would find this hobby a bit 'queer' and so I've decided against telling them about it.

<_<

Sounds like you need new friends.

To get others to join you: simply talk about it with some family members or friends. I think "GPS scavenger hunt" is a way to describe it that most people will understand. Some will be interested, many will not be; few actually think it's stupid or strange. If they're interested, invite them to go with you and give it a try. Try caches that seem particularly neat and not too difficult. I've heard giving them the GPS when you start to get close can help them feel more involved. Some will be interested, some wont be.

You can also try to meet existing cachers at local events.

I don't know of many teen cachers who don't cache with family. I suspect the biggest problem at that age is the limited transportation options.

I'm 31 (caching since I was 29). I started with a friend and have introduced at least a half-dozen other friends to it. None of them are as "hooked" on it as I am. I sometimes go caching with other local cachers, but ultimately most of my finds are done by myself.

Geocaching is now for me a game that I play when I have no plans to do organized activities, so I go on short notice. Hard to find a companion that way. Seldom if ever, meet another person in the woods. When I find a great location I bring others back to it as time permits. I love do more exploring the cache area or something I saw along the way. It is a learning thing and can be quite enjoyable.

Don't worry about what other folks think of your game. If they like the outdoors they will understand otherwise they just lose out! Most people I tell about the game think it is pretty neat but never ask to go! Not everyone wants to bushwack (hiking off trail without cutting) but I sure do and it gets pretty interesting sometimes. I would not want to subject just anyone to it, so I do that alone. I love to share the day in the logs in hope others will come to the neat place I might have found. Since you are new make your hides interesting. Enjoy yourself and take a camera if you can. It helps create alot of memories.

Now get out there and be safe while you are doing it.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I'm not a loner -- I'm a soloist.

I enjoy the sounds/quiet of nature and being alone, I don't need someone else with me usually. Sometimes I go with a group, and it is just a different experience. Just like the caches can be varied, so can the outings and methods -- drive, hike, bike, ski, kayak, whatever.

I also cache by myself. My family members have no interest in the hobby. When they do come with me, it's like I am dragging them along. :rolleyes: One nice thing about going by myself is that it gives me time to unwind. I forget all of life's issues and problems while I'm out caching.

I generally go alone...just prefer it. Wife and kids are interested in it, but they aren't as likely to look around for a long time and give up too easily. I can generally only go on lunch breaks or when I get an hour or two on my own, so my finds are sporadic at best. This is the only reason I ever look forward to work-related trips (local or out of state), when I will have some time on my own and don't have to report to anyone.

I almost always cache alone and enjoy it very much. I only cache on short notice because of my other more organizised activities. I enjoy bushwacking and prefer to do that alone since it may not be the way other want to do it. I sometimes bring other floks back to the location for addittional and alternative enjoyment of the area. Exploring trail the caches area has to offer is a good place to bring friend that enjoy the outdoors. Don't if your friend don't take interest in the game, they make take interest in the area the cache brought you too! That is what Geo-Caching is all about for me - finding new and different interesting places.

As a newbie you have to put safety right up front and don't be fooled by the terrain. Get good with your GPS and learn to respect it.

Feel free to return to a cache area and get the most out it you can. Read the logs of cache page - they can be informative as well as entertaining as folks share their good ,bad, or funny experiences. You are in a community of folks you may never meet but you are not alone. Asking people who know is a smart move even if they don't all agree.

Given good advice noone would give you advice to go into the woods alone. You are going to do it anyway - just go easy at first till you get the hang of it. Things can go wrong - but you have a brain and a gut. Use them both. Learn all you can and listen to all advice and actually take some of it. Ha! HA!

There is alot of fun ahead of you! Now get out there!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

amazing thread one of the best in a long time !

I am so proud of you !! a 14 soon 15 years old dude spending time OUTDOOR, learning alot about his area,

navigation, find stuff, get fresh air, no more TV and Wii or playstation..

wow there, you are way ahead of your friends in school.. life is supposed to be lived outside in the real world..

if beeing alone bothers you, just use your online skils to find locals with same hobby

trying to statup new geocachers, can be anything from very easy, to hard, to impossible,

depending on who you try it on :-)

in my area there are many facebook groups, this is kind of the system people use today,

search there..

Local events might be a good idea too, you need to pop up in real life and see if there is anyone about same age and experiance level,

when you get older you see age difference is no big deal.

Edited by OZ2CPU

I enjoy the sounds/quiet of nature and being alone, I don't need someone else with me usually. Sometimes I go with a group, and it is just a different experience. Just like the caches can be varied, so can the outings and methods -- drive, hike, bike, ski, kayak, whatever.

Soloist instead of loner? I like how that sounds...but isn't it like a janitor saying he's an 'environmental engineer'?

I love geocaching alone. I'm on my own time and and I get to target the caches that interest me. When I started geocaching I was alone most of the time. I eventually got my wife into the sport and met many fellow geocachers who I enjoy hunting caches with.

Bottom line is be enthusiastic about the sport and if your family and friends want to join you, great. If not, then you'll have a grand time by yourself. And if you get involved with the geocaching community you'll have a ready set of good friends to go caching with. Hit a few events and meet other geocachers.

How does anyone else cope with doing this alone, or better yet, how can I get my family involved?

I cache with my father, but I'm a teen male and my friends do not think the sport is 'queer'. Some are too lazy (sorry guys), but love the concept

I cache with my father, but I'm a teen male and my friends do not think the sport is 'queer'. Some are too lazy (sorry guys), but love the concept

Out of curiosity, have they seen you trying to get a FTF in your pajamas?

Soloist instead of loner? I like how that sounds...but isn't it like a janitor saying he's an 'environmental engineer'?

I saw it more as a classical violinist the prefers to play solo rather than in an ensemble.

Out of curiosity, have they seen you trying to get a FTF in your pajamas?

No...

Has anyone looked at this persons profile? I just looked at your profile and see you have been caching for two years and have NO finds. Strange?

Don't feel too bad about be a lone cacher...it's a little hard at times...but not the end of the world...I been dealing with the "lone cacher" syndrome for nearly two years off and on....and being the only one who does it in my military unit, it makes things a little more difficult to accept the comments. Thankfully, some who are in my unit actually support my activity and tell the others to back off (a lot). Now if I can get some of my supporters to come out with me.

I’m usually caching alone, partially due to people I know are still in the work force and I’m retired. This makes for some beautiful weekday trail hikes where I seldom see another soul on the trail, unlike weekends where small trailhead parking lots are sometimes full up. I enjoy the tranquil solitude and appreciate the beauty of nature more when on my own.

Caching with others has it’s pluses too, an extra pair of eyes, shared conversation, sometimes teamwork is required to retrieve the cache resulting in some good laughs and memories.

Hard to say which I prefer… tough call. Either way, I’m out in nature seeing things I never would have seen if not for geocaching. That’s the best part.

LOne R makes some good points. But I don't always go alone, sometimes a couple of friends who have some interest will join in. But it doesn't syop me from going if they can't go. As for family, well, can't say without knowing a lot more about you and even then it would be of questionable value. My family has gone with me on varying degrees. None for a full day of hiking around. They just aren't into it.

But that's just the way it is. Your friends included. Queer? I guess the quotes mean gay? First, that is silly. Second, that kind of thing happened with anybody, different in any way, even 45 years ago. Your 'difference' seems to be that you aren't totally sucked into FB, Twitter, YouTube, blogs and video games. Go do a victory dance that you are different. Wish I could give you some advice on how to get others involved. Parents would be my first suggestion, in spite of that not being 'cool'.