Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Mopar

ilink

Guest Mopar

Anyone give this a try yet? I was just told about it last night, haven't had much chance to play with it, but it looks interesting.

ilink home page

Docs are pretty lacking, but I found more info here

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Anyone give this a try yet? I was just told about it last night, haven't had much chance to play with it, but it looks interesting.

http://www.aacnet.net/

Docs are pretty lacking, but I found more info http://www.qrz.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c85e67b3861ffff;act=ST;f=3;t=3695;hl=ilink

Just seen it online tonight my self.....

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?

Well it makes me want to go out and get my HAM radio license, so I think it's a good thing for this hobby. Seems like an instant messenger sort of thing for HAMs.

Jeremy

The March issue of QST had a pretty good article about it. I thought the program was pretty straight forward to use.

However, after some heated disscussions over whether it is legal under FCC rules. Our local repeater owner has decided to stay away from ilink. But we do have a similar function using irlp (internet relay linking project) the difference being that you *HAVE* to use a radio on both ends.

But, I do think that meshing internet and HAM radio is the way to go.

I've read a lot about ilink and its cousin IRLP over in the eham.net forums. IRLP is a repeater to repeater system that requires users at both ends to have a radio (my understanding of ilink is that it is computer to repeater).

I live near an ILRP node (485) and have listened a lot and say it is a great system. There are currently about 370 nodes spread acrpss the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Sweden, and even Antarctica (as well as a few other exotic locations). IRLP calls can be made from node to node (i.e. Aurora, IL to Syracuse, NY) or can be made to a reflector which is kind of like a repeater of repeaters. Many nodes can attach to a reflector and communicate with each other at the same time. The reflectors are very popular and I often hear hams from various parts of the US, Canada, and Australia during the same QSO.

I think it is a great addition to ham radio as it allow no-coders like myself the possibility of long range communication without the investment of thousands of dollars in HF equipment. All I need is my handi-talkie and within the range of an IRLP node (the Aurora, IL node can be reached from almost anywhere in the Chicago area, even with only 5 watts). Since I don't have thousands tied up in HF equipment, I have money to geocache, and I can even do IRLP while I am geocaching if I want. (Try and hike with your HF radio while on a hunt icon_biggrin.gif )

Cheers,

CopperCountry

Still, I search in these woods and find nothing worse

than myself, caught between the grapes and the thorns. Anne Sexton

I've read a lot about ilink and its cousin IRLP over in the eham.net forums. IRLP is a repeater to repeater system that requires users at both ends to have a radio (my understanding of ilink is that it is computer to repeater).

I live near an ILRP node (485) and have listened a lot and say it is a great system. There are currently about 370 nodes spread acrpss the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Sweden, and even Antarctica (as well as a few other exotic locations). IRLP calls can be made from node to node (i.e. Aurora, IL to Syracuse, NY) or can be made to a reflector which is kind of like a repeater of repeaters. Many nodes can attach to a reflector and communicate with each other at the same time. The reflectors are very popular and I often hear hams from various parts of the US, Canada, and Australia during the same QSO.

I think it is a great addition to ham radio as it allow no-coders like myself the possibility of long range communication without the investment of thousands of dollars in HF equipment. All I need is my handi-talkie and within the range of an IRLP node (the Aurora, IL node can be reached from almost anywhere in the Chicago area, even with only 5 watts). Since I don't have thousands tied up in HF equipment, I have money to geocache, and I can even do IRLP while I am geocaching if I want. (Try and hike with your HF radio while on a hunt icon_biggrin.gif )

Cheers,

CopperCountry

quote:
Originally posted by CopperCountry:

I think it is a great addition to ham radio as it allow no-coders like myself the possibility of long range communication without the investment of thousands of dollars in HF equipment.

We had a discussion about IRLP at last night ham club meeting. It sounds if we will put a node here in town. I think it is a good idea but I dont think it has the versitilty that HF has. Also, HF is only as expencive as you wan to make it. Granted, you might be useing dinosaur equip (i.e. old stuff) but it is still good enough to get on the air....

Or are ypou afraid of the CODE? icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CopperCountry:

I think it is a great addition to ham radio as it allow no-coders like myself the possibility of long range communication without the investment of thousands of dollars in HF equipment.

We had a discussion about IRLP at last night ham club meeting. It sounds if we will put a node here in town. I think it is a good idea but I dont think it has the versitilty that HF has. Also, HF is only as expencive as you wan to make it. Granted, you might be useing dinosaur equip (i.e. old stuff) but it is still good enough to get on the air....

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

I think it is a good idea but I dont think it has the versitilty that HF has. Also, HF is only as expencive as you wan to make it. Granted, you might be useing dinosaur equip (i.e. old stuff) but it is still good enough to get on the air....

I agree that it is not as versatile as HF, but between the outlay for an HF rig (even a dinosaur) and living in a covenant restricted neighborhood (no outdoor antennas), it just isn't worth the hassle. As for the CODE? I've worked on it on and off since I got my ticket, but there always seems to be something else I'd rather be learning.

CopperCountry

--------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

I think it is a good idea but I dont think it has the versitilty that HF has. Also, HF is only as expencive as you wan to make it. Granted, you might be useing dinosaur equip (i.e. old stuff) but it is still good enough to get on the air....

I agree that it is not as versatile as HF, but between the outlay for an HF rig (even a dinosaur) and living in a covenant restricted neighborhood (no outdoor antennas), it just isn't worth the hassle. As for the CODE? I've worked on it on and off since I got my ticket, but there always seems to be something else I'd rather be learning.

CopperCountry

--------------------------------------------

the university of miami ham club has an ILINK linked machine down here. i hang on there every now and then as do some of the other local geocacher/hams. the repeater freq is 146.865 but i dont know the ILINK number to it.

URBO

ke4mcl