Personal Cache Note Section

The Avenue Two

This is a good idea, of course. I assume the hang up is there's no where to put it in the GPX file, so they're waiting until they release the next revision of the format. And even then, GPSrs would have to understand it and provide a way for you to look at it.

Does anyone know if there is some type of way of accessing all the caches with my personal cache notes? I don't want to have to write the GC number for them or have to remember them in some way. I have put final coords for puzzles I have solved there and would like to be able to access them easily. Thanks!

I assume the hang up is there's no where to put it in the GPX file, so they're waiting until they release the next revision of the format.

Don't hold your breath:

Update of GPX schema is no longer in the planning. It's a fairly "old school" way of delivering cache data. We are instead focused on improving the API to deliver data in more customized formats, and an overhaul of the search functionality is a major step toward that.

Does anyone know if there is some type of way of accessing all the caches with my personal cache notes?

To keep track of them, you can add them to a bookmark list as you add notes to them. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to figure out which ones already have corrected coordinates or personal notes. You'd have to go through each one to see if they have notes.

I agree.... and have some consistency with both the GPX and the cell phone App in terms of data transferring.

Currently - on the iphone APP, the NOTES are transferred to the website from the APP and vis versa. However - if you change the coordinates on the cache page, these coordinates do not show up in the APP (unless there's something I'm missing?)

Some consistency between devices would be nice.

I assume the hang up is there's no where to put it in the GPX file, so they're waiting until they release the next revision of the format.

Don't hold your breath:

Update of GPX schema is no longer in the planning. It's a fairly "old school" way of delivering cache data. We are instead focused on improving the API to deliver data in more customized formats, and an overhaul of the search functionality is a major step toward that.

Does anyone know if there is some type of way of accessing all the caches with my personal cache notes?

To keep track of them, you can add them to a bookmark list as you add notes to them. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to figure out which ones already have corrected coordinates or personal notes. You'd have to go through each one to see if they have notes.

Unfortunately that makes sense :( While I love my Oregon 450 - and it is my primary geocaching device - if anything where to happen to it I would think long and hard about spending the money to replace it. And ultimately It would come down to spending the money on a dedicated GPS or sticking it into the top of the line smart phone ( If I don't already have it :) ) I currently have the S3 on Sprint and Use a combination of the Geocaching App ( when I have good data coverage ) and C:Geo when I don't If ground speak beefed up its offline capibilites then I would never have to even think about a replacing a broken GPS

Does anyone know if there is some type of way of accessing all the caches with my personal cache notes? I don't want to have to write the GC number for them or have to remember them in some way. I have put final coords for puzzles I have solved there and would like to be able to access them easily. Thanks!

For at-home use, I do that using GSAK by adding a column to the display, options/display/gc.com notes.

Unfortunately that makes sense :( While I love my Oregon 450 - and it is my primary geocaching device - if anything where to happen to it I would think long and hard about spending the money to replace it. And ultimately It would come down to spending the money on a dedicated GPS or sticking it into the top of the line smart phone ( If I don't already have it :) ) I currently have the S3 on Sprint and Use a combination of the Geocaching App ( when I have good data coverage ) and C:Geo when I don't If ground speak beefed up its offline capibilites then I would never have to even think about a replacing a broken GPS

It doesn't make sense for me. I also have an Oregon 450 and an iPhone. While I'm using the iPhone (with the official app) more frequently there are still times when using the Oregon makes a lot more sense. I've done a pretty fair amount of geocaching in other countries, and due to data roaming charges that are typically around $20 per megabytes, relying on the API to get cache data to a smart phone is just not practical. That's why I always create PQs and download cache data and basemaps to my Oregon before I leave. I can currently save PQs to my smart phone as well and it won't cost me anymore to go geocaching while in another country than it would at home. If we had to rely on the API, and a real time data connection for cache data, it would effectively eliminate being able to geocache while traveling abroad.

I don't want to have to write the GC number for them or have to remember them in some way. I have put final coords for puzzles I have solved there and would like to be able to access them easily. Thanks!

If you look at the cache page of the puzzle you have solved, right next to the coordinates, you will see a little pencil. Clicking on that will allow you edit the given coords and let you enter your solved numbers into that field instead. As long as you haven't already downloaded it to your GPSr (this is at least true for our Oregon 550 and can't speak for smartphones or other GPSrs) it should send the updated, solved puzzle coords to your unit.

Has Groundspeak said anything more about personal cache notes being included in PQ and GPX files?

TPTB have said that the GPX update is no longer planned, and they're going to focus development on the API instead. Smartphone users seem to be their primary (sole?) focus now.

If they were focusing on the smartphone users they would have figured out how to have coordinate updates pushed down from the website to the app.

Based on the observation of the majority of the activity within these forums by TPTB, it would appear that their focus (if any) is on moving topics into appropriate subforums.

Caching with a Smartphone is no good for the serious cacher, the accuracy is not good enough, and the battery life is insufficient.

There are thousands of Garmins etc. in use, and Groundspeak should be looking to improve support for those, rather than concentrating on the casual phone user.

Thousands of garmins vs millions of phones. I am a serious cacher, and believe me your right when it comes to accuracy and battery life, but I would put money that more caches where found with a phone then gps, and if not that is the trend. Buddy of mine in Korea 9k finds, just recently switched to using a phone full time. He got an external Bluetooth Gps and carries an extra battery. Swears it amazing never having to worry about PQs and logging on a computer.

If they were focusing on the smartphone users they would have figured out how to have coordinate updates pushed down from the website to the app.

Based on the observation of the majority of the activity within these forums by TPTB, it would appear that their focus (if any) is on moving topics into appropriate subforums.

Hey, I didn't say they were putting a lot of effort into smartphones, just that the little effort that is being put in is focused on smartphones and enticing new members at all costs. :laughing:

I am fairly new to caching and this is my first attempt at the forum.

I joined as an already competent navigator.

Those that aren't as confident finding caches without smart phones would probably give up before getting to the point of being hooked.

:yikes:

I am pleased to see friends of mine who now are using GPS as the means if no service is available as is the case in many parts of outback Australia. :laughing:

1 hour ago, K-and-K said:

I have personal notes on pages I wish I could find the information on a cache , for instance I left a note on that page, but now the page let's just say is archived. Well where's that note now ??? How do I find it ??? How do I access it ???

One way to view an archived cache page is with a web browser, and use the GC code in a web address like this:  https://coord.info/GC7DH54

Currently for archived caches, personal cache notes are shown and can even be edited.

Most of mine that have a personal cache note, also have logs, so I usually go find it in my profile.  I usually don't know the GC code.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 1/23/2013 at 12:53 AM, Lieblweb said:

I agree.... and have some consistency with both the GPX and the cell phone App in terms of data transferring.

Currently - on the iphone APP, the NOTES are transferred to the website from the APP and vis versa. However - if you change the coordinates on the cache page, these coordinates do not show up in the APP (unless there's something I'm missing?)

Some consistency between devices would be nice.

I do not see the personal notes I placed on some caches showing up anywhere on the iPhone app,( when looking at that cache info) maybe I am missing how how to do do so.