Selecting a status for coins

nevadanick

Looking for some advice on the pros and cons of marking the 'collectible' status of coins when activating them. Specifically, when there is a proxy coin involved that gets released into the wild.

For example ... The Mayan Calendar coin also came with a copy/proxy tag. What is the best selection for collectible status when you want the coin in your collection but release the copy tag for traveling ??

What prompted this question is a situation recently where a cacher 'retrieved' a proxy, visited many caches, and out of the blue 'moved it to their collection'. Obviously the original coin is in my SO's personal collection, but the copy tag is elsewhere, removed from circulation.

If you change the coin status from 'collectible' to 'not collectibe', it also moves the primary original coin from her personal GS collection list. But ... it also removes the copy traveler from the other cacher's collection.

I think I'm missing something in understanding the status options ... :blink: ... confused ..

What prompted this question is a situation recently where a cacher 'retrieved' a proxy, visited many caches, and out of the blue 'moved it to their collection'. Obviously the original coin is in my SO's personal collection, but the copy tag is elsewhere, removed from circulation.

... :blink: ... confused ..

Regarding the highlighted section(s)...

That should not be possible. The "cacher" would have to have ownership status to even access the collection/inventory status of the trackable. To my knowledge, only the recorded owner is capable of such a maneuver, be it a proxy or no.

... or perhaps I am missing something with what you are saying...

EDIT to add: I see it must not be your 'coin. Can you link the ref#, so's we can see?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I think you can move another cacher's coin to your collection if it marked COLLECTIBLE. You shouldn't be able to but you can, as I found out when I did that very thing with a traveler that didn't belong to me.

The only solution I can imagine is not marking it COLLECTIBLE if you're going to release it or its proxy as that is a clear signal to the uninformed that they may keep it.

In reply to Gitchee's request for a link >> http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB3J3BD

When crazyred moved it to their collection, the coin was marked 'collectible'. Buki changed the status to 'not collectible' immediately (as it currently shows) but then it also removed it from her collectibles count. Since the original coin IS in her personal collection... it should show there, but doesn't now.

I think you can move another cacher's coin to your collection if it marked COLLECTIBLE. You shouldn't be able to but you can, as I found out when I did that very thing with a traveler that didn't belong to me.

The only solution I can imagine is not marking it COLLECTIBLE if you're going to release it or its proxy as that is a clear signal to the uninformed that they may keep it.

Yes, moving it can be done, as this log shows in the link. The page still showed Bukibear as the owner, but in someone else's collection ... which it isn't.

Prolly a 'bug' (no pun intended) when having to deal with an original coin AND a proxy that travels. Maybe there really is no way to have your collectible cake and travel-release it too. She has released about 50 proxies and this is the first problem we've encountered.

What we noticed is that long term it really throws off a 'collectible item' count on GS. If she says... "I have 250 coins in my collection" ... the GS records would only show 200 if they were marked 'not collectible'.

Still confused ... :unsure:

as far as I understood it, the term "collectable" as a status on a trackble means that the finder can "collect" it, they have the right to claim it. It can be used when someone who has made coins or trackables, leaves them in caches for others to find and claim....I´m not sure but that is how i always interpreted it..

Interesting. I guess I can see the 'collectible' aspect you mention, but that interpretation would be in direct conflict with a goal or mission statement to keep it moving to caches throughout the world. You have to be on the trackable page in order to read both the collectible status AND the mission / goal intent.

A new perspective ... but I think I would need to e-mail the TO to ask their intent ... or permission.

Not sure why I would want to make it 'collectible' and activate a coin as the 'owner' and then have someone else collect it.

Maybe this is just an unexpected by-product of having a proxy for a coin.

I didnt want to make a new post but this maybe on the same subject.

I found a geocoin and when I went to log its find, it was marked as "collectable", so I logged it as picking it up and then I moved it to my collection.

Now the Owner has changed it to a non-collectable after I moved it from my inventory to my collectable sevral days before.

And now it is listed in my inventory even tho on the logging site, it show it is my possesion and it says I put it in my collection.

I dont know if I should keep it or release it.

Edited by Hoytguy

I found a geocoin and when I went to log its find, it was marked as "collectable", so I logged it as picking it up and then I moved it to my collection.

Now the Owner has changed it to a non-collectable after I moved it from my inventory to my collectable sevral days before.

And now it is listed in my inventory even tho on the logging site, it show it is my possesion and it says I put it in my collection.

This is exactly the same situation I wrote about in the original post (OP).

Looked at the trackable that is in your possession, the one you are asking about. The goal of that trackable reads: "Current GOAL: The coin is in a race with two other coins, the first coin belongs to DR-AK, the second coin belongs to AW-AK. These coins will be racing to the Groundspeak Headquarters."

I would guess that the "GOAL" pretty well answers your question. It can't be in a race if you keep it in your possession.

Marking items as 'collectible' is obviously an error if it is released into the wild to travel.

In answer to your question .... please .... 'release it'.

BTW - you don't need to put your post in bold. It's like putting a post in all CAPS that many consider as 'shouting'. (ty)

Edited by nevadanick

The Mission on the coin is

The coin is in a race with two other coins, the first coin belongs to DR-AK, the second coin belongs to AW-AK. These coins will be racing to the Groundspeak Headquarters

From the mission I am unsure what would make you belive that you can keep the coin. The coin is in a race to get to Groundspeak Headquars. If you keep it it will never get there.

The coin is in a race with two other coins, the first coin belongs to DR-AK, the second coin belongs to AW-AK. These coins will be racing to the Groundspeak Headquarters

From the mission I am unsure what would make you belive that you can keep the coin. The coin is in a race to get to Groundspeak Headquars. If you keep it it will never get there.

From the mission, I looked at the other two coins and they had not been put in circulation, they are still in the position of the owners and since it was marked collectible, I took as to be ok to add it to collection; this is why I asked the question.

I had planned on moving it since the owner had changed it from collectible to non-collectible, but I just wanted to ask this question, not get ridiculed.

I have seen in the forums or cache pages of other coins that had a mission to go to as many cahes as possible that had said in the discrciption that they were collectible as well, is this just a error on the owners to have over looked this,other coins clearly marked as non-collectible"

I have never collected any coins before and was checking out the functions of listing coins when I noticed that I was able to mark it as added to my collection, this is still new to me and again, is why I asked this question.

As far as putting my original text in bold, I just wanted to make it easier to read, nothing more..

From the mission, I looked at the other two coins and they had not been put in circulation, they are still in the position of the owners and since it was marked collectible, I took as to be ok to add it to collection; this is why I asked the question.

I had planned on moving it since the owner had changed it from collectible to non-collectible, but I just wanted to ask this question, not get ridiculed.

I have seen in the forums or cache pages of other coins that had a mission to go to as many cahes as possible that had said in the discrciption that they were collectible as well, is this just a error on the owners to have over looked this,other coins clearly marked as non-collectible"

I have never collected any coins before and was checking out the functions of listing coins when I noticed that I was able to mark it as added to my collection, this is still new to me and again, is why I asked this question.

As far as putting my original text in bold, I just wanted to make it easier to read, nothing more..

I am sorry if you felt you were being ridiculed, I was just trying to give a whole picture with it mission statement. If you had any question, I sure the owner of the coin would of responded to an e-mail.

Collectible. A good idea that is very poorly understood, as evidenced by the confusion it generates whenever questions like these arise.

Marking a coin "Collectible" essentially means that the coin is not intended to travel. Either it will stay in its owner's "collection," or any lucky finders may keep it if they wish, although ownership will not be transferred. This is the intent of a Moun10Bike, Lehigh Mafia, or a Flying Moose coin. The "you find it, you keep it" coins are very rare, but they do exist.

The Geocoin "Collection" was Groundspeak's answer to piggybank caches and decluttering inventories. Prior to the Collection, many coin owners would dump (virtually, of course) their coins into an archived or unpublished cache. When you have several hundred activated coins you don't want them all in your inventory! Even a few dozen coins becomes very unwieldy to log and keep your own coins separate from travelers you picked up to move. With your Collection coin owner now have a virtual piggy bank to drop their coins in.

With the Collection, you can activate coins, keep your Inventory uncluttered, and allow discoveries on the coins. Furthermore, if a coin is in a Collection it can't be "Grabbed" by anyone else.

A coin will only show in one place at a time. It won't be in multiple Collections, even with a proxy of it running around. If you send a proxy travelling, do not mark the coin "Collectible," even though your original stays home in a binder.

As far as the number of coins in your Collection goes, nobody else can see what you have in your Collection. Whether a coin is in your Inventory or Collection has no bearing on your moved/discovered or Owned counts on your Profile.

I hope this helps.

Looking at all three coins/tags, they are all in circulation. They are all in their very first stages of travel, all being released within the last 30 days. The AW and DR racers went into the same event cache (hosted by FTL) in Alaska. Just a guess, but I would suggest that they all know each other (all end in "-AK"), travel/live in different areas, and were in the process of positioning the coins for a 'fair start'. FTL has 2 of the coins owned by the other race opponents in his possession, both pcked up at HIS event in Alaska and is bringing them down into the lower-48. Better guess is they are co-workers or relatives.

I don't think he meant to 'ridicule' you, just point out as I did, the 'mission' of a coin that has only been in circulation for a few days.

Yes, marking travelling coins as 'collectible' seems to have different interpretations, but results in cachers being able to place them in their own collections. My partner (the coin fanatic) has now changed her 50+ coins and coin proxies currently traveling from 'collectible' to 'not collectible'. One of those ambiguous "English" things that can allow different folks to interpret the status other than what was intended.

My suggestion, regardless of what the 'status' shows ... 1) follow the mission / goal statements. Those usually clearly state the owner's intent. 2) Use the GS profile to send a message to the trackable/coin owner. If the owner does not respond, refer to #1. There could be times for many and varied reasons that an owner cannot reply in a timely manner (broken computer, changed e-mail addys, hospitalized, busy with life, etc). Notice that I left out ... 'death' or 'quit caching'. Even though someone doesn't log for 6 months or more doesn't mean they have abandoned their trackables. They may return at any time.

Much has been posted in forums and cache logs about not knowing how/when to log coins and trackables ... the same lack of info exists for those collecting coins in their own collection. To my knowledge, there is no 'knowledge book' info on selecting a status for a trackable. If there is ... I haven't found it yet.

Now that you've had some exposure here in the forums, stick around and you'll get involved in a fascinating hobby/pasttime. Welcome to the geocoin forum and ... above all ... happy caching !!

Collectible. A good idea that is very poorly understood, as evidenced by the confusion it generates whenever questions like these arise.

Marking a coin "Collectible" essentially means that the coin is not intended to travel. Either it will stay in its owner's "collection," or any lucky finders may keep it if they wish, although ownership will not be transferred. This is the intent of a Moun10Bike, Lehigh Mafia, or a Flying Moose coin. The "you find it, you keep it" coins are very rare, but they do exist.

The Geocoin "Collection" was Groundspeak's answer to piggybank caches and decluttering inventories. Prior to the Collection, many coin owners would dump (virtually, of course) their coins into an archived or unpublished cache. When you have several hundred activated coins you don't want them all in your inventory! Even a few dozen coins becomes very unwieldy to log and keep your own coins separate from travelers you picked up to move. With your Collection coin owner now have a virtual piggy bank to drop their coins in.

With the Collection, you can activate coins, keep your Inventory uncluttered, and allow discoveries on the coins. Furthermore, if a coin is in a Collection it can't be "Grabbed" by anyone else.

A coin will only show in one place at a time. It won't be in multiple Collections, even with a proxy of it running around. If you send a proxy travelling, do not mark the coin "Collectible," even though your original stays home in a binder.

As far as the number of coins in your Collection goes, nobody else can see what you have in your Collection. Whether a coin is in your Inventory or Collection has no bearing on your moved/discovered or Owned counts on your Profile.

I hope this helps.

Yes, this explanation helps a lot and includes at least some background on how/where the current process originated and evolved.

Thank you for taking the time with your informative reply !!

It is definitely a 'learning curve' process. MY SO had a number of coins in her collection marked as 'collectible'. Of course they are ... she has spent a lot of time cataloging them, creating workable storage, labeling, displaying, etc. Then she decided to try this new (to her) proxy system. Yay, the proxies got delivered and could be released. They were. Then a cacher 'moved it to their collection' happened ... < PANIC > ... it's MY collectible, not THEIRS - (LOL). << moving on to another curve now ... :anitongue: