What's a collectable?

ShatterSt0rm

So, I was wondering. I initiated a new trackable and one of the options was it being a collectable. What's a collectable?

It means that if someone finds it they have your permission to keep it. The only reason to use that feature really is to add your coins to your own collection if you do not intend to put them in caches.

So, I was wondering. I initiated a new trackable and one of the options was it being a collectable. What's a collectable?

"Collectible" is a way to organize a huge list of Geocoins. If you activate a bunch of coins for some reason but don't cache with them, you may add them to your "Collection", to move them out of the Inventory, so you don't clutter your cache logs with coins that you keep at home. The first step is to mark them Collectible, then move them to your Collection, so they don't show up in cache log menus. Marking it Collectible also removes some menu selections when logging the item. The options are entirely for the Trackable Owner's convenience.

It's also a way you can allow a cacher to add it to their own Collection if you wish. That's a special Geocoin thing. For example, if someone has most of a set, and your coin completes the set, you may allow them to place it indefinitely into their Collection, but of course you may at any time mark it "Not Collectible", to have it returned to play. When someone adds it to their Collection, they log that they did so, and you maintain control. They can't sell it, for example. It's your coin.

At no time is anyone to keep a Trackable without the approval of the Owner, in which case, it may be Adopted to the person who will keep it (yes, you could give it away, if you like). If anyone has a question about the status of a Trackable found in a cache, they should refer to the Travel Bug tag, where it says "Don't Keep Me". Pocketing a coin with no log due to seeing the word "Collectible", has nothing to do with this Topic.

Here's the deal:

If you place a Trackable with the intention that it stay in play and move from cache to cache, as most people do, mark it "Not Collectible".

Edited by kunarion

similiar question - so if I have a new TB on my vehicle, people can still "discover" it and log that they discovered even if the collectible box is not checked ? In other words, a TB that stays on your vehicle would be another example of one to mark not collectible, or is that preventing it from being discovered ?

similiar question - so if I have a new TB on my vehicle, people can still "discover" it and log that they discovered even if the collectible box is not checked ? In other words, a TB that stays on your vehicle would be another example of one to mark not collectible, or is that preventing it from being discovered ?

This is the confusing part.

"Collectible" (or not) has no bearing on the ability to log a trackable.

Whether a trackable is in a cacher's "Collection" or "Inventory" does have such a bearing.

A trackable in "Collection" may be logged only with a Note log or Discover log. It may not be Grabbed, Retrieved, Placed or Visited.

A trackable in "Inventory" may be logged in any manner.

EDIT: some speeling errors

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Mine is marked "Not Collectible" so all the log options are available.

Uhhh... this is part of the confusion....

Marking the trackable as being Collectible or Not Collectible has zero bearing on what type of log can be filed.

This notation on a trackable page only tells other cachers whether or not the trackable itself is, shall we say... keep-able.

From what I see, checking or not checking that option does nothing in regards as to what logs may or may not be made.

What type of log may or may not be filed is determined by the trackables' placement in a cachers' Trackables Collection or Trackables Inventory (tab access near the top of one's Profile Page).

When these options first were adopted, there was much confusion. Apparently, it still exists.

I'd be one of the first to say that the wording (selection) should be changed so as to help in avoiding this confusion.

EDIT: More speeling....

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

so my vehicle TB needs to be in my trackables collection and not my trackables inventory to be discovered ? I know people have written down the number but I've seen no "discovered" logs yet so trying to see if that is the problem. I don't know for afact that anyone has tried to discover or not so maybe they haven't.

Thx for the help ! still a newbie

Uhhh... this is part of the confusion....

Marking the trackable as being Collectible or Not Collectible has zero bearing on what type of log can be filed.

This notation on a trackable page only tells other cachers whether or not the trackable itself is, shall we say... keep-able.

From what I see, checking or not checking that option does nothing in regards as to what logs may or may not be made.

Sorry for the confusion! :anicute: I meant for the previous lengthy response to clear things up, thus only meant "Mark it 'Not Collectible'" above. For people just starting out with a car sticker or a TB, just mark it "Not Collectible" and you're done. That's all I was trying to say. B)

It used to be that another cacher could move a Trackable to their "Collection" if it was marked "Collectible"*. Has that changed? If so, that changes a whole lot of previous advice around here.

*At the time, it was best explained that the Trackable still gets properly logged, the person keeping it is known, and of course the Trackable gets returned to play if it's later marked "Not Collectible". So it was an Inventory selection for honest Geocachers to log and list other people's coins with flexibility in Inventory lists, never implied permission to pocket a coin with no logs.

Edited by kunarion

so my vehicle TB needs to be in my trackables collection and not my trackables inventory to be discovered ? I know people have written down the number but I've seen no "discovered" logs yet so trying to see if that is the problem. I don't know for afact that anyone has tried to discover or not so maybe they haven't.

Thx for the help ! still a newbie

kunarion is correct, it can be logged as Discovered either way.

But... yes, there is always a "but"... if you intend on logging the vehicle TB as a Visit to caches you find, it must be in your Trackables Inventory, not Trackables Collection. If it is held in your Trackables Collection, you cannot log a "Visit", only a "Discover" or a "Note" -- just like anyone else.

I know, it is confusing... :blink: ...but rest assured, you are not the only one confused.

But... yes, there is always a "but"... if you intend on logging the vehicle TB as a Visit to caches you find, it must be in your Trackables Inventory, not Trackables Collection. If it is held in your Trackables Collection, you cannot log a "Visit", only a "Discover" or a "Note" -- just like anyone else.

I know, it is confusing... :blink: ...but rest assured, you are not the only one confused.

Thanks, that answered a question I had. I just got a TB Patch that I am going to sew onto my Geocaching bag and have it 'visit' the geocaches I find, so I'll be sure to keep it in my Inventory to allow me to do that.

I suppose that will then allow folks to mistakenly 'grab' it, but I guess if that happens, I can just 'grab' it back.

Edited by RagnoJr