Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FunYet

Confused about license levels

If I take my technician exam (and pass it) and later decide I want to upgrade to technician with CW, do I have to take the tech exam again or just do the 5 wpm Morse code test? Believe it or not I've gotten several different answers to this question.

FunYet

Once you are licensed at a level, you do not need to retake the test.

Except when you:

A. Allow your license to expire and remain expired for over 1 year.

B. Violate some FCC requlation and have your license revoked. After several years, you can re-test and start over.

C. You pass part of the test, but do not pass the other part, and take more than 1 year to retry.

The last is confusing. Suppose you take the General written test, and pass it. Then you take the code test, and fail it. You will be given a certificate for the written test, good for 1 year. If you pass the code within that year, you have the license. If you do not, you must also retake the written test again.

Hope this helps.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

As stated before, once you pass and element you don't take it again.

The usual way of doing this these days is to go take you Technician test, element 2. Then if you want to go back for the code test you also study briefly for the General test, element 3. The General written is not much different from the Technician written test, so by the time you are ready for the code, you can easily be ready for both. Most exam sessions will allow you to take as many tests as you want once you are there and have paid your reimbursment fee.

If you pass the General but not the code, you get a Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam, which is good for a year. You simply show your certificate and can take just the code test.

My advise, if you are going to take the tech written and then go back for the code, is just plan on going back for General. Also, take the code test the first time you go, even if you don't feel quite ready. Then you will know what to expect better.

Most VE teams are very friendly and accomodating, and are very happy to see you pass and upgrade.

use the practice test online, like at www.qrz.com, and when you can consistently score in the 90% range go start taking tests!

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

Amateur Extra and Geocaching newbie

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

When taking the code test does one have to transmit, or is it just a 'receive' test? If one has to transmit, whose equipment is used?

I've taken the QRZ test twice, a couple of months apart. I failed the first time and passed the second. This was just to see how I'd do. A little background: I've been a SWL for over 30 yrs, so alot of this info I've absorbed over the years thru osmosis. I'm sure that if I had to take a test when it counted, alot more boning up on the technical aspects would be in order. From some of the stuff I've read in this forum about test taking by hams, I'm assuming that some of their problems are due to not being good at taking tests, no matter their expertise.

As for code, I've studied it over the years because I'm nosy about what's on the radio. But, like any learned foreign language, it's easier to listen to than to speak.

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

When taking the code test does one have to transmit, or is it just a 'receive' test?

Just receive 5wpm.

quote:
Originally posted by benjamin921:

quote:

When taking the code test does one have to transmit, or is it just a 'receive' test?

Just receive 5wpm.

Not strictly true...

The EVC and the VE team are allowed to make exceptions and modifications for hams with disabilities. For instance, one friend who lost his hearing in combat cannot hear code. But he demonstrated his code knowledge by sending perfectly at a speed much higher than he would have needed to receive. Back when there was a sending test, a friend with severe arthritus couldn't send. H3ll, he couldn't even hold a coffee cup. I don't know how he did it, but he made it to advanced before he died.

If you have a problem hearing or something else, get with your VE team and see if they have an alternate test for you. Now, "I can't get it" is not an excuse. Doctor certified severe hearing damage might be. It is ultimately up to the VE team.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

I know I'll be ready to take my tech exam when it rolls around in 2 weeks, but was a bit iffy about the CW. Knowing that I don't have to do it all at once takes some of the pressure off. However, I'll probably go ahead with the suggestion of taking the CW test to get the feel of it.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by FunYet:

I know I'll be ready to take my tech exam when it rolls around in 2 weeks, but was a bit iffy about the CW. Knowing that I don't have to do it all at once takes some of the pressure off. However, I'll probably go ahead with the suggestion of taking the CW test to get the feel of it.

Thanks!

When I went in a month ago to take my tech test, I took the code test too, knowing I wouldn't pass it. I wanted to get the feel of of it too. Surprise! I passed it. Not with flying colors mind you, but a pass is a pass. So try it. You've got nothing to lose and the hard part of a general license to gain!

Good luck in two weeks. If you put at least a little effort into it, you'll have no trouble.

KD7UEC -- she-who-will-be-taking-her-general-test-next-week.

quote:
Originally posted by spiderteam:

When I went in a month ago to take my tech test, I took the code test too, knowing I wouldn't pass it. I wanted to get the feel of of it too. Surprise! I passed it. Not with flying colors mind you, but a pass is a pass.

You know what.... your license doesn't say GENERAL - 76% code. It just says GENERAL. Congrats, and enjoy it. Have a great weekend.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

You know what.... your license doesn't say GENERAL - 76% code. It just says GENERAL. Congrats, and enjoy it. Have a great weekend.

You are almost right. It says TECHNICIAN. Next week it will say GENERAL. Since I did pass the code test, I saw no reason to not go ahead and upgrade to GENERAL right away. I will take the test next week. I anticipate passing.

spidermom -- KD7UEC

(I gotta find a decent handle to go with that UEC business. Utterly extraordinarily charming is just too hard to say!)

quote:
Originally posted by spiderteam:

spidermom -- KD7UEC

(I gotta find a decent handle to go with that UEC business. Utterly extraordinarily charming is just too hard to say!)

Whew.... I am not going there! And I highly recommend no one else try it either!!!

El Paso, Texas.

Back when I took the 20 wpm test, the VE asked me to send a few words on a straight key. If someone could not send decently, they prevented them from taking the receiving test.

The reason is that someone was sending teams of people in to memorize a few questions each and then tried to recreate the whole exam. These people were not hams and knew no code. They were paid by the bad guy who would sell answers to others who really wanted to pass (and willing to cheat.)

With the 5 wpm test this should not be a problem......but you never know.

Thanks for the replies about code. Learning code at 5 wpm is not all that hard, sending is a different story. I still have the LP record from the 1970's for practice, but none of the paper work. I have the same thing on cassette, with the paper work. One does tend to memorize the answers due to repitition, but this same repitition also helps with the actual learning of the code. No, I couldn't pass any test now. Use it or lose it. I imagine some hams might have this problem for that reason. I've read and heard all the arguements for and against code requirement for a ham license. I think it should be kept for some classes. I will not say why.

As for some who cheat in trying to get a ham license, this is probably because these people don't care what's legal or not. I've known a couple CBers with ham tickets who say they have the license in case they get caught with too much power, etc. Of course, just about everything they do is illegal.

quote:

One does tend to memorize the answers due to repitition, but this same repitition also helps with the actual learning of the code.

This is a common problem, and easy to fix. Once you learn the letters, numbers, and punctuation required for the test, switch to copying random groups. Trust me, you will know if you miss one. By copying groups like ajdov sxr9l kw6yc 5bz2g and stuff like that, you are not likely to memorize it. And you will be amazed at how easy straight copy is later on.

Also, I knew a fellow who's hands were so crippled he could barely write. I taught him to listen to the code in his head, and only write the details. His copy sheet looked like this.

ROBERT

LOS ANGELES CA

YAESU

DIPOLE

50 WATTS

60 FT

5-9-9

SUNNY

74 DEG

56 YEARS OLD

BUS DRIVER

You get the idea. All names and numbers will be important, as well as other info. He passed.

Good luck.

El Paso, Texas.