Online logs out of order

TL&MinBHIL

We were out over the weekend and grabbed 4 caches. I logged a few of them in the field from my phone, then logged the last two when we got home. I always try to log my caches in the order in which we found them. I logged the 2nd to last cache online, then moved on to the last one. When I submitted the last cache, it was placed in line BEFORE the previous cache. I thought it was a glitch, so I deleted both logs and did them over, but got the same result. This has happened before so I thought it was time to see if anyone else knew what was going on. It's a bit frustrating because we have our own personal TB to track our travels and since it's logging them out of order, our TB doesn't always show the exact order in which we found them. It's not a make or break problem, I'm just curious as to why it's putting them out of order and if there's a way to correct it.

When I look at the list of logs on my Profile page (log in and click on my username at the top), it lists them as Kodak Moment, I still haven't found what I'm looking for, Piasa Harbor, and Royal Landing. But when I logged them online that night, I logged Royal Landing before Piasa Harbor. Then I noticed it switched them, so I deleted those two and re-logged them, but it switched them again.

The order in which you see them on the TB page is correct. BUT, when I click on "View Map" for my TB, both the map as well as the list below the map are out of order.

Technically it should've been Kodak Moment then Royal Landing (just as it shows on the TB page) but I accidentally logged Royal Landing in the wrong place. But even so, it still switched that one and Piasa Harbor. So out of 3 places I look (my Profile page, the TB page, and the "View Map" page) only one of them shows the order correctly.

Also, I was unaware that the public can see our personal TB's page. Is there any way to hide it?

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

Not that I've heard of, I wouldn't have looked if you hadn't mentioned it in your post. Sorry for prying.

Oh no, you weren't prying at all, it's there for the public to see. I just wasn't aware of that. For some reason I was thinking when I activated it, there was a way to set it as a personal trackable and that it wouldn't be visible to anyone but us, but I was wrong.

But the jumbled logs are still a mystery. Now that I've looked at the TB page, it's strange that it placed Royal Landing after Kodak Moment. That is the correct order, but like I said, I mistakenly logged Royal Landing 3rd instead of 2nd. So it seems, in a couple places at least, that it switched more than once. If I log them in a particular order, I just can't figure out why it doesn't display them in that order. I suppose I could delete all four and log them again, but who knows.

I logged a few of them in the field from my phone, then logged the last two when we got home.

If you're at all concerned about having the caches logged in the correct order, I strongly recommend not mixing logging methods. That is, log them all from your phone, or log them all online through the website. The two systems use different timestamp systems, so mixing the two can lead to caches being out of order.

Based on your description of varying behaviour throughout the site, I'm wondering if different parts of the site are using different pieces of information to order the logs. I know some places use the alpha-numeric log codes (the GL codes) to order logs, so those logs will always display in the order they were logged, regardless of how they were logged and what timestamp they have. Maybe other parts of the site are using the timestamps instead, leading to the inconsistent behaviour?

I care about the order of my logs too. :)

Which is why I have given up on the idea of logging with my smartphone...I use field notes.

The field note usually consists of the actual time I found the cache and any other details about trades or whatever.

Once I get home, I compose the actual log with the convenience of a full-size keyboard.

My field notes have never been out of order, but if they were I could make the correction when posting the actual log.

I don't know how to fix it, but just so you're not alone....this has happened to me also. My first and second find have always been switched. Whenever I used stats programs it always showed my first find as being my second and I've had to manually switch it and lock it so that what is listed as my second find is actually first as it should be. I tried deleting my logs and relogging them, but have never figured out how to fix it. I haven't noticed it any other time for me though. Just those first two finds.

If you're at all concerned about having the caches logged in the correct order, I strongly recommend not mixing logging methods. That is, log them all from your phone, or log them all online through the website. The two systems use different timestamp systems, so mixing the two can lead to caches being out of order.

Based on your description of varying behaviour throughout the site, I'm wondering if different parts of the site are using different pieces of information to order the logs. I know some places use the alpha-numeric log codes (the GL codes) to order logs, so those logs will always display in the order they were logged, regardless of how they were logged and what timestamp they have. Maybe other parts of the site are using the timestamps instead, leading to the inconsistent behaviour?

Yeah, it did cross my mind that it might be because I logged using my phone AND computer. I've done that before, and I know this problem has happened to me before, but I'm not positive it happened every time I used both logging methods. Could very well be. But the two caches that it flip-flopped were both logged on the computer. Looks like I'd better pick one and stick with it.

It's very odd that the listing on the TB page is correct, but out of order when you click View Map. It's out of order on 2 out of 3 places...you'd think it'd be consistent across the board. Like you said, it seems as if they use different methods of ordering logs.

I care about the order of my logs too. :)

Which is why I have given up on the idea of logging with my smartphone...I use field notes.

The field note usually consists of the actual time I found the cache and any other details about trades or whatever.

Once I get home, I compose the actual log with the convenience of a full-size keyboard.

My field notes have never been out of order, but if they were I could make the correction when posting the actual log.

I almost always log from my phone in the field, but I got sidetracked. The order isn't too terribly important, but occasionally we like to look at our TB's map to review our trips and it'd be nice if they were accurate. More of a frustration & nuisance than anything. Not sure if this would be considered a bug or if they even care.

We were out over the weekend and grabbed 4 caches. I logged a few of them in the field from my phone, then logged the last two when we got home. I always try to log my caches in the order in which we found them. I logged the 2nd to last cache online, then moved on to the last one. When I submitted the last cache, it was placed in line BEFORE the previous cache. I thought it was a glitch, so I deleted both logs and did them over, but got the same result. This has happened before so I thought it was time to see if anyone else knew what was going on. It's a bit frustrating because we have our own personal TB to track our travels and since it's logging them out of order, our TB doesn't always show the exact order in which we found them. It's not a make or break problem, I'm just curious as to why it's putting them out of order and if there's a way to correct it.

There was a time, months ago, when I noticed the same thing, using the official app on an iPhone. I found if I edited the iPhone generated logs on-line, without making any change to the content, then they would be put back in the order I prefered. I haven't interspersed phone and on-line logs recently so my data points are months old.