New York City

Kyle&Ann

My wife will be in NYC for two days this next week attending an workshop for her job in Arkansas! Of course one of the first things she said when she found out she was going was " omg...I HAVE to get some NYC smilies"!

Unfortunately she does not know where she will get to visit in the "Big Apple" and I know that makes it difficult to answer my request. Any suggestions for some exceptional caches she might want to find? She is telling me I am wasting my time and yours b asking...but I thought we might give it a shot anyways. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

She will probably just hit the find nearest button...but if there were any strong suggestions, she may plan her free time to find these caches. Possibly ones near the attractions most everyone wants to see? Times Square, Empire State Building, WTC Memorial...etc.

Thanks again!

I cached in NYC last year when I was there. It's HARD because there are so many people EVERYWHERE and I felt like I was being watched. I had to log a few DNF's because of the muggles around. Good to have a good long list so that you can do others around, while you're waiting for the muggles to leave! I could have just sworn that I was going to get arrested by the Homeland security police for looking like a terrorist! HA! But I wasn't. It was fine. I found a fun one at Bryant Park that I thought was rather hard...I had to email the last finder to get a hint. It's called Brit in the Park; GC3N8BT. Another one I loved because of the cool architecture you get to look at is "Faces on the Wall"; GC1Z0MZ. I'm sure there are WAY more cool caches than what I found. I looked for one in Washington Park for a LONG time and couldn't find. Happy Hunting!!!

My wife will be in NYC for two days this next week attending an workshop for her job in Arkansas! Of course one of the first things she said when she found out she was going was " omg...I HAVE to get some NYC smilies"!

Unfortunately she does not know where she will get to visit in the "Big Apple" and I know that makes it difficult to answer my request. Any suggestions for some exceptional caches she might want to find? She is telling me I am wasting my time and yours b asking...but I thought we might give it a shot anyways. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

She will probably just hit the find nearest button...but if there were any strong suggestions, she may plan her free time to find these caches. Possibly ones near the attractions most everyone wants to see? Times Square, Empire State Building, WTC Memorial...etc.

Thanks again!

There is a virtual cache at the Empire State Building but I don't think there's one in Times Square (there used to be one). Fortunately, getting around NYC is extremely easy. It shouldn't matter much where she is staying because she can easily get to Central Park where she can find quite a few nice caches. Caching in Manhattan can be quite difficult due to all the tall buildings, which is why heading to Central Park would be a good idea.

NYC is a bit on the difficult side. For starters, with the tall buildings, it's often hard to get a good signal. Of course, there's always Central Park. But, it depends where she's staying. I've found a handful there, but it took a lot of walking. Cab fare can add up quickly. If she wants to see some sights, there's always a few virtuals that are interesting. And as the previous post noted, there are so many people everywhere! Hope she has a great time!

Oh boy, now the thread is dead, after being moved. :laughing: Haven't been to Manhattan in about 3 years, and I assume Manhattan. There is a cache at the WTC Memorial, looks like you take down some basic information, and find a micro. Of course the Empire State Building observation deck is a virtual named "The Empire Strikes back". I've heard it can take hours in line to get up there, but I'm sure you can get up there in well under an hour in the Winter. I pulled it off in under an hour on a random weekday in July or August a few years ago. There's nothing in Times Square, or within several blocks, although I do remember there was once a webcam there. Best bet is Central Park, of course. Looks like about 3/4 of them are "?" caches these days, so it looks like she needs to put on her thinking cap. :P

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Mid-Atlantic forum.

Because New York City is of no interest to anyone outside the area, right?

For something a little different if she has the time, take the subway to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. A bunch of nice caches and a different view of New york than most tourists get.

Anyone who is seriously interested in this can email me for tips on the best caches and getting there by subway.