Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
misty_lynne

Correct Attributes?

Good evening All:

I'm curious as to why some CO's would choose to fasely advertise their geocaches? Specifically I'm working on a SCUBA (some snorkeling) list. After searching all countries for SCUBA-related caches, I found that most worldwide caches were legit with their listings. It was not until I searched the individual States that I found an absurdly large number of unrelated (yet SCUBA-identified) caches. I found over 2,000 caches (usually ones in a series) that were falsely identified as SCUBA-related. These were mainly found in California, Nevada, and Pennsylvania. I'm curious as to why this would be done intentionally (on such a large-scale) or why it's acceptable? Don't get me wrong, I understand (and even chuckle at the Liar, Liar caches), but for over 2K to be done so like this. Really?

The false scuba attribute was used on these so people could search and get the entire power trail. Clever, but poor use of the attributes, since it does mess up people like you who are trying to use the attributes correctly.

Sometimes it's to help identify a series - I believe the Alien Head has the snowmobile attribute?

A local cacher has the campfires-no.gif attribute for a quick(ish!) cache and dash... The cache is a film tub hidden in the end of a log!

Thank you for the link and insight. I may not necessary agree with this application of the attribute, but at least now, I know why it is used.

Some people purposely misuse them to be "funny". Others misuse them because there is no current attribute for what they want to do. In either case misuse makes what can be a valuable tool for geocachers essentially useless.

Power trails and long series of caches are becoming more poopular so i'm thinking that gc.com will give us a dedicated attribute for these. Hopefully when they do, they'll include the "exclude" version of it as well. B)

More poopular is right. ;-)

In my best Urkel voice: Did i do say that? :o

I am just glad to know I am not the only person having this issue, with the SCUBA attribute also. And they're not part of a series that will require it either.