Updated Forum Software

simpjkee

I'd like to see an update in forum software. I frequent another forum that uses the latest Xenforo software. Here's a list of the benefits:

- The ability to tag someone in a post. If I'm referencing another user in a post I can tag them and they will get a notification that they hhave been tagged. For example if I'm posting in the Southwest forum and talking about hiking to some caches over the weekend I could write "went caching with @JohnDoe in the desert". Then JohnDoe will get notified that he is referenced in a thread and be given a link.

- The ability to rate a post. The forum I use offers 6 ratings: like, agree, funny, informative, friendly, and useful. Then if someone posts something that I agree with totally I won't feel the urge to quote their post and add '+1'. Instead, I can just rate it as agree. If a post has been rated, the rating will show up along the bottom of the post below the signature.

- With the previous two bullet points, I'd want more notifications. Right now I have a notification set to notify me if my post is quoted. I'd want a notification if someone tagged me or rated my post as agree or whatever.

- Forum keeps track of what I've read. For example, if I click on a thread with 6 posts in it, the forum will keep track of that. The next day when I click on the same thread I will be sent straight to post 7 and be shown a little tag that posts 7 and over are new (to me).

There are more benefits such as trophies and forum arcade, but those are just for fun and don't necessarily improve the forum experience.

I'd like to see an update in forum software. I frequent another forum that uses the latest Xenforo software. Here's a list of the benefits:

- The ability to tag someone in a post. If I'm referencing another user in a post I can tag them and they will get a notification that they hhave been tagged. For example if I'm posting in the Southwest forum and talking about hiking to some caches over the weekend I could write "went caching with @JohnDoe in the desert". Then JohnDoe will get notified that he is referenced in a thread and be given a link.

- The ability to rate a post. The forum I use offers 6 ratings: like, agree, funny, informative, friendly, and useful. Then if someone posts something that I agree with totally I won't feel the urge to quote their post and add '+1'. Instead, I can just rate it as agree. If a post has been rated, the rating will show up along the bottom of the post below the signature.

- With the previous two bullet points, I'd want more notifications. Right now I have a notification set to notify me if my post is quoted. I'd want a notification if someone tagged me or rated my post as agree or whatever.

- Forum keeps track of what I've read. For example, if I click on a thread with 6 posts in it, the forum will keep track of that. The next day when I click on the same thread I will be sent straight to post 7 and be shown a little tag that posts 7 and over are new (to me).

There are more benefits such as trophies and forum arcade, but those are just for fun and don't necessarily improve the forum experience.

At less than $1000, it's cheap enough (I suppose).

But, will it scale well enough to cover all the topics here?

Are there issues not apparent to us users that could cause headaches at the lilly-pad (God knows they have enough as it is).

At less than $1000, it's cheap enough (I suppose).

But, will it scale well enough to cover all the topics here?

Are there issues not apparent to us users that could cause headaches at the lilly-pad (God knows they have enough as it is).

I haven't looked at Xenoforo but I there are probably several open source forum application that have a more robust feature than what is currently being used. That last last feature (keeping track of what has been read) does exist, but perhaps isn't obvious. When looking at a list of topics in a forum section, click on the orange icon to the left of the thread title to go to the first unread post. On the other hand, even the old threaded news readers for usenet like trn handle threading better than the software used for the GS forums, and some of the GUI based newsreaders for usenet had a lot of functionality. The biggest obstacle to migrating to something else is that there are over 10 years of posts that, if not migrated to whatever platform is used, would likely cause a *lot* of angst.